* Kick-starting P1997 implementation, array copy semantics
@ 2021-08-10 22:51 will wray
From: will wray @ 2021-08-10 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

P1997 Relaxing Restrictions on Array https://wg21.link/p1997
proposes copy semantics for C array; initialization and assignment
of arrays from arrays, and array as a function return type.
For C++, a new placeholder deduction syntax is proposed.

The paper was seen for the first time on Friday by SG22,
The Joint C and C++ Liaison Study Group. It was well received.

The next step is implementation experience...
I'm looking to kick-start a gcc branch for this work.

My gcc dev-fu is padawan level (two small patches ~ two years ago)
so I may need a kick-start myself.

If anyone has an interest or experience in array mechanics, C or C++,
I could do with a mentor / lifeline / phone-a-friend.
I've joined the gcc developer IRC as doodle.

At some point, ABI specifications for array return types will be needed.

Thanks, Will

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-08-10 22:52 UTC | newest]