* [Intel SPR] Progress of GCC support for Intel SPR features
       [not found] <4652ef74-3f2d-f04c-d560-de89ff37013c@foxmail.com>
@ 2022-02-07  1:57 ` LiYancheng
From: LiYancheng @ 2022-02-07  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello everyone!

I have some questions to ask:

1. How does GCC support Sapphrie Rapids CPU now?

2. Does GCC 11 fully support all the features of SPR?
 From the release note, it seems that 5g ISA (fp16)/hfni is
not supported yet.

3. What is the simulation tool used by GCC to verify SPR characteristics?
Is it open source?

Thanks for all the help,

yancheng

* Re: [Intel SPR] Progress of GCC support for Intel SPR features
@ 2022-02-07  2:03   ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2022-02-07  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 5:59 PM LiYancheng via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I have some questions to ask:
>
> 1. How does GCC support Sapphrie Rapids CPU now?
>
> 2. Does GCC 11 fully support all the features of SPR?
>  From the release note, it seems that 5g ISA (fp16)/hfni is
> not supported yet.

It will be included in GCC 12 which should be released in less than 4 months.

> 3. What is the simulation tool used by GCC to verify SPR characteristics?
> Is it open source?

Intel is doing the patching to GCC and binutils so I suspect they
verify using their internal tools and I highly doubt it is free
source.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

@ 2022-02-07  3:15     ` LiYancheng
From: LiYancheng @ 2022-02-07  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2022/2/7 10:03, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 5:59 PM LiYancheng via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hello everyone!
>>
>> I have some questions to ask:
>>
>> 1. How does GCC support Sapphrie Rapids CPU now?
>>
>> 2. Does GCC 11 fully support all the features of SPR?
>>   From the release note, it seems that 5g ISA (fp16)/hfni is
>> not supported yet.
> It will be included in GCC 12 which should be released in less than 4 months.
Thank you for your reply!
>> 3. What is the simulation tool used by GCC to verify SPR characteristics?
>> Is it open source?
> Intel is doing the patching to GCC and binutils so I suspect they
> verify using their internal tools and I highly doubt it is free
> source.
>

> Thanks,
> Andrew Pinski

Any suggestions from Intel?

Thanks!

yancheng

@ 2022-02-07  6:35       ` Hongtao Liu
From: Hongtao Liu @ 2022-02-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022 at 11:16 AM LiYancheng via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On 2022/2/7 10:03, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 5:59 PM LiYancheng via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> >> Hello everyone!
> >>
> >> I have some questions to ask:
> >>
> >> 1. How does GCC support Sapphrie Rapids CPU now?
> >>
> >> 2. Does GCC 11 fully support all the features of SPR?
> >>   From the release note, it seems that 5g ISA (fp16)/hfni is
> >> not supported yet.
> > It will be included in GCC 12 which should be released in less than 4 months.
> Thank you for your reply!
> >> 3. What is the simulation tool used by GCC to verify SPR characteristics?
> >> Is it open source?
> > Intel is doing the patching to GCC and binutils so I suspect they
> > verify using their internal tools and I highly doubt it is free
> > source.
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Andrew Pinski
> >
> Any suggestions from Intel?

You can use Intel SDE(software-development-emulator)
refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/software-development-emulator.html.

And please use GCC12(main trunk, not released yet), and binutils
2.38(main trunk, not released yet).

--
BR,
Hongtao