* Switching x86_64-linux-gnu to GNU2 TLS descriptors by default
@ 2023-12-13 14:17 Florian Weimer
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Florian Weimer @ 2023-12-13 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I feel like I have asked this before.  Currently, GCC uses calls to
__tls_get_addr to obtain the address of global-dynamic TLS variables.
On other architectures with support for GNU2 TLS descriptors, those are
used by default.

Should we flip the default to GNU2 descriptors?  Support has been
available in glibc for a long, long time.  Is there any other reason for
not doing this?  On the glibc side, the behavior regarding lazy
initialization and symbol binding does not change whether the old or new
interface is used.

Thanks,
Florian