* New "Diving into GCC internals" section in newbies guide
@ 2022-06-10 21:58 David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2022-06-10 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I've written a large new chunk of documentation for my GCC newbies
guide, called "Diving into GCC internals", which can be seen at:

https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/diving-into-gcc-internals.html

Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you see any mistakes, or if
there's room for improvement

Dave

* Re: New "Diving into GCC internals" section in newbies guide
@ 2022-06-11  0:35 ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2022-06-11  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: gcc

> Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you see any mistakes, or if
> there's room for improvement

Nice work!  In the "inside cc1" chapter, I think that IR is usually meant for
"Intermediate Representation" rather than "Internal Representation" in this
context.

--
Eric Botcazou

* Re: New "Diving into GCC internals" section in newbies guide
@ 2022-06-11  6:21 ` Sam James
From: Sam James @ 2022-06-11  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: gcc

> On 10 Jun 2022, at 22:58, David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> I've written a large new chunk of documentation for my GCC newbies
> guide, called "Diving into GCC internals", which can be seen at:
>
> https://gcc-newbies-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/diving-into-gcc-internals.html
>
> Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you see any mistakes, or if
> there's room for improvement

I didn't even realise the guide existed at all!

This looks really interesting, thanks!

> Dave

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: New "Diving into GCC internals" section in newbies guide
@ 2022-06-12 16:37   ` David Malcolm
From: David Malcolm @ 2022-06-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: gcc

On Sat, 2022-06-11 at 02:35 +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you see any mistakes,
> > or if
> > there's room for improvement
>
> Nice work!  In the "inside cc1" chapter, I think that IR is usually
> meant for
> "Intermediate Representation" rather than "Internal Representation"
> in this
> context.

Thanks - you're right.  I've updated the doc accordingly.

@ 2022-06-12 17:11     ` Eric Gallager
From: Eric Gallager @ 2022-06-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Malcolm; +Cc: Eric Botcazou, GCC Development

On Sun, Jun 12, 2022 at 12:38 PM David Malcolm via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2022-06-11 at 02:35 +0200, Eric Botcazou wrote:
> > > Hope this is helpful; please let me know if you see any mistakes,
> > > or if
> > > there's room for improvement
> >
> > Nice work!  In the "inside cc1" chapter, I think that IR is usually
> > meant for
> > "Intermediate Representation" rather than "Internal Representation"
> > in this
> > context.
>
> Thanks - you're right.  I've updated the doc accordingly.
>
> Dave

For the unwritten "What’s in the GCC source tree?" page I'd just like
to note that there's a similar page in the existing GCC internals docs
in sourcebuild.texi; I updated it recently in r13-817-gda5f0cc2f51a79:
https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commitdiff;h=da5f0cc2f51a791a397fd1b3cef662763897a826