* Re: Re: GSoC: want to take part in `Extend the static analysis pass for CPython Extension`
@ 2023-04-03 14:47 Eric Feng
From: Eric Feng @ 2023-04-03 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: StevenSun2021; +Cc: David Malcolm, gcc

Hi Steven,

I’m happy to collaborate on this project together — it would be great
to have your experience with CPython internals on the team.

> And by the way, I can get to work long before the start-coding time point of GSoC timeline.

I can be involved in some capacity before the start-coding period as
well (I originally planned to spend the time getting well acquainted
so as to hit the ground running) but I would prefer if we leave the
more involved tasks (e.g reference count checking, format string
checking) to the start-coding time point as I can’t work in a full
time manner until late May due to commitments in school before then.
Perhaps we can begin with the more low hanging fruits such as
Error-handling checking, errors in exception handling, and
verification of PyMethodDef tables in the time before the start-coding
period? It might be good for us to start with these smaller tasks
first to be more efficient in tackling the more involved tasks
anyways. It would also be easy to divvy these tasks up as well.

Best,
Eric

* Re: Re: GSoC: want to take part in `Extend the static analysis pass for CPython Extension`
@ 2023-04-03 15:28 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-04-03 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Feng, StevenSun2021; +Cc: David Malcolm, gcc

Hello,

On Mon, Apr 03 2023, Eric Feng via Gcc wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> I’m happy to collaborate on this project together — it would be great
> to have your experience with CPython internals on the team.

While I normally welcome collaboration, please note that GSoC rules and
reasonable caution dictate that the two project must not be dependent on
one another.  I.e. if one of you, for any reason, could not finish your
bits in time, it must not have severe adverse effects on the other.

If mostly independent collaboration is possible (and David agrees),
then sure, go ahead.

Thanks for understanding,

Martin

* Re: Re: GSoC: want to take part in `Extend the static analysis pass for CPython Extension`
@ 2023-04-04 14:31   ` Eric Feng
From: Eric Feng @ 2023-04-04 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: StevenSun2021, David Malcolm, gcc

Thanks Martin! Sounds good; I submitted my proposal unchanged for now
(i.e assuming an independent project), but as Dave mentioned in
another thread, it may be divided into several logical components,
perhaps with certain features extended, to be suited for
collaboration.

Best,
Eric