* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 13:22 David Starner
From: David Starner @ 2021-04-20 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giacomo, gcc

Giacomo Tesio wrote:
> And while this is IBM, the other US corporations with affiliations in
the Steering Committee are no better:
https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-April/235777.html

> I can understand that some of you consider working for such corporations "a joy".
> But for the rest of us, and to most people outside the US, their influence
over the leadership of GCC is a threat.
> Please, do not create a hostile environment for indipendent contributors.

What do you mean by independent? If you're independently wealthy and
don't need to work, you can avoid this. If you're a cashier or field
laborer or in some other poorly paid job, then your employer probably
doesn't care. Otherwise, if you work for a company that produces
software, even just internally, or for a university, or a company
where your name might be associated with the company, then your
employer may demand that you cease publicly working on Free Software.

I find it a bit hypocritical; there's no objection to the fact that
GCC was developed using stuff bought with funds donated by these
companies, their creators and their employees, to MIT, including
people like Jeffery Epstein, one of the Koch brothers, and Bill Gates.
But how dare IBM hire people to work on GCC! We need to preserve our
independence!

--
The standard is written in English . If you have trouble understanding
a particular section, read it again and again and again . . . Sit up

* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 13:31 ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2021-04-20 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starner, GCC Development

> On Apr 20, 2021, at 9:22 AM, David Starner via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Giacomo Tesio wrote:
>> Please, do not create a hostile environment for indipendent contributors.
>
> What do you mean by independent? If you're independently wealthy and
> don't need to work, you can avoid this. If you're a cashier or field
> laborer or in some other poorly paid job, then your employer probably
> doesn't care. Otherwise, if you work for a company that produces
> software, even just internally, or for a university, or a company
> where your name might be associated with the company, then your
> employer may demand that you cease publicly working on Free Software.

Not necessarily.

I'll offer you my own example.  I'm the target maintainer for pdp11.  It should be obvious that I'm doing this as an "independent contributor", not as part of my job, and indeed that work is for that reason spare time work done outside of business hours.

I have a company copyright disclaimer in place, dating back to some years ago when the work I was doing on gcc did at times touch on (then) company business.  As a legal matter it is doubtful that my current GCC involvement even needs that copyright disclaimer since the work is not on company time and not in the company's field of enterprise.

In other words, we have jobs (unless we're retired or unemployed) as well as private time, and there are a number of GCC contributors who contribute their private time.  I take Giacomo's comment to refer to that case.

	paul

* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 12:47     ` Bill Schmidt
From: Bill Schmidt @ 2021-04-20 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner, ebotcazou; +Cc: gcc

On 4/20/21 7:42 AM, Richard Kenner via Gcc wrote:
>> Troubling indeed, but this might just be an overzealous manager.
>> IBM, like other corporations, has made significant technical
>> contributions to GCC over the years, for example the scheduler and
>> the vectorizer, and thus has assigned the copyright of these
>> contributions to the FSF.
> Yes, as long as the employee is doing it as part of their work for IBM,
> which was the case in your examples.  What's never been OK for IBM are
> their employees doing software development "on their own time" because
> they've taken the position that such doesn't exist.

It amazes me how many people who don't work for IBM want to assert IBM's
policies.

There is certainly ability to work on projects on your own time that
don't conflict with IBM's business.  You simply have to be open about it
and make sure your management is aware.

Bill

* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 12:43   ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2021-04-20 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown, gcc

Hi David,

I'm amused to see how far you can go to rationalize such a clear statement:
"You are an IBM employee 100% of the time."

This is the kind of control these companies think they deserve over their employees.

And when they refuse to obey, they are fired, like Timnit Gebru.

To me, the members of the Steering Committee shouldn't be under such burden.
Since the vast maiority of them are, this turns to be a risk for people relying on GCC.

But let me clear about this: I do NOT speak for anybody who share your trust
in the benevolence if US BigTech, wherever they live.

Feel free to believe what makes you feel better.

Giacomo

@ 2021-04-20 12:42   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-20 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ebotcazou; +Cc: gcc, giacomo

@ 2021-04-20 12:39 ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-20 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: giacomo; +Cc: gcc

> You are an IBM employee 100% of the time.

For those who aren't aware of it, this has been IBM's position for
many decades.  It's not a new position.  But they are unique in the
extremeness of their position on this, so generalizing this would be a
mistake.

* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 11:58   ` Kalamatee
From: Kalamatee @ 2021-04-20 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 at 11:21, David Brown <david.brown@hesbynett.no> wrote:

> [...]
> complicated forms and agreements from contributors' employers.
>

> > And while this is IBM, the other US corporations with affiliations in
> > the Steering Committee are no better:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2021-April/235777.html
> >

> I can't see any relevance in that post other than your "big corporations
> are completely evil because there are examples of them being bad" comments.
>
> > I can understand that some of you consider working for such corporations
> "a joy".
> > But for the rest of us, and to most people outside the US, their
> influence
> > over the leadership of GCC is a threat.
>
> Please stop claiming to speak for anyone but yourself.  You certainly do
> not speak for /me/.  I don't work for "such corporations", I am outside
> the US, but I do not see IBM or others having noticeable influence over

I have raised my concerns directly with the FSF, and GNU, about the
behaviours and attitudes on here - I would suggest others do the same.

* Re: On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20 11:33   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-20 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Brown; +Cc: Giacomo Tesio, gcc

You got to understand what an employee 100% of the time means.
It means to be 100% Employer-Owned - It is the Culture of Ownership.

But the tyrannical double standard do-gooders and the continued pretense
that they're trying to help people in this society (e.g. women,
minorities, free software, etc) is a lot more destructive.

Am pleased to know you are allowed to do, say, think, etc. whatever you
want to, without being controlled or limited.  Have had developers here
who have contacted me privately to tell me how amazed they are seeing
me pushing my ideas about what software and project administration is.
People who describe me as toxic, abusive, entitled, a jerk, a troll,
a donkey and a twit... A very long list indeed.  Because the only people
they are willing to accept are people like themselves.

My guess is that in their meetings, they sit around discussing who is
worthy to join this wonderful group that they are.  Sitting around
trying to decide who would get to be allowed into this developer
group.

The whole thing is rotten because the purpose of the group is mostly
centered on deciding who could have this honor.

@ 2021-04-20  9:42 ` David Brown
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: David Brown @ 2021-04-20  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giacomo Tesio, gcc

@ 2021-04-20  8:00   ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-20  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Botcazou; +Cc: Giacomo Tesio, gcc

Obviously the dude was not Eric Raymond, because he would have sent the
IBM Fuckhead an appropriate reply.  These are the developers at IBM,
who after being watched by the IBM Panopticon, they obey!

Now repeat after me,
"Whenever I hear the voice say,
'Now, listen to me, ' I will obey."
"When I hear the voice say,
'Now, listen to me, ' I will obey."

@ 2021-04-20  7:37 ` Eric Botcazou
From: Eric Botcazou @ 2021-04-20  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giacomo Tesio; +Cc: gcc

> Here the relevant excerpt (but please go chech the quotation):
>
> "As an IBM employee, you are not allowed to use your gmail account to work
> in any way on VNIC. You are not allowed to use your personal email account
> as a "hobby". You are an IBM employee 100% of the time.
> Please remove yourself completely from the maintainers file. I grant you a 1
> time exception on contributions to VNIC to make this change."
>

> This is happened yesterday (literally).

Troubling indeed, but this might just be an overzealous manager.  IBM, like
other corporations, has made significant technical contributions to GCC over
the years, for example the scheduler and the vectorizer, and thus has assigned
the copyright of these contributions to the FSF.

--
Eric Botcazou

* On US corporate influence over Free Software and the GCC Steering Committee
@ 2021-04-20  6:54 Giacomo Tesio
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2021-04-20  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

[...]