* RE: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-11  7:36 Naveen Sharma, Noida
From: Naveen Sharma, Noida @ 2002-04-11  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

>    > Other than these things, I believe nothing stands in the
> way of doing
>    > the merge.
>
>    Thanks, Geoff.  I'll do it.  I think that I could finish
> it in week.
>
> I will help with regression testing on Sparc.
>
> As per the SPEC result stuff, there was a posting showing the
> SPEC improvements DFA alone gave on UltraSPARC, but I cannot
> remember if it was posted to these lists or not.

I can help with any additional testing of the merged code on sh4.

Best Regards,
  Naveen Sharma.

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-11  9:29         ` law
From: law @ 2002-04-11  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Clarke; +Cc: vmakarov, geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

In message <3CB4A0AB.F3F4D76F@st.com>, Stephen Clarke writes:
 > vmakarov@redhat.com wrote:
 > >
 > > Thanks, Geoff.  I'll do it.  I think that I could finish it in week.
 >
 > For which targets do you plan to enable DFA scheduling?
 >
 > IIRC, the SH-4 specific work was done by Noida, so will that
 > be a separate patch once the main DFA patch has been accepted?  Or
 > will you include it in your patch?
Also note I'll contribute my PA7100 DFA definition (generates 100% identical
code when compared to existing scheduler definition) and my PA8000 DFA
definition which generates slightly better code than the existing scheduler
definition.  I have not had time to track down a PA7100LC machine for testing
a PA7100LC description.

jeff

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 21:06       ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2002-04-10 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

   From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>
   Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:55:50 -0400

@ 2002-04-10 20:02           ` David S. Miller
From: David S. Miller @ 2002-04-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: Stephen.Clarke, geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

   From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>
   Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 16:39:22 -0400

   The patch will include all code added into the branch (I asked
   permission to merge the branch).  Currently, it is dfa-based scheduler
   itself and code (dfa descriptions) to use dfa-scheduler for ultrasparc
   and sh4.

Not just UltraSparc, both UltraSparc-I/II and UltraSparc-III :-)

UltraSPARC-III required entirely different pipeline description
from it's predecessors.  Actually, it was more simple to model,
as it has less instruction issue restrictions.

From: David S. Miller @ 2002-04-10 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: dje, geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

   From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>
   Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:25:31 -0400

   >         Is the software pipelining optimization which relies on the DFA
   > scheduler ready as well?

   Why should it be ready to merge the dfa-based scheduler?  The bigger
   patch, the harder to merge it.  My plan is to merge the dfa-based
   scheduler into the main trunk and after that use the branch to work on
   software pipelining and may be a new interblock insn scheduler.

I agree with Vladimir, software pipelining should need to be available
as a prerequisite for DFA merging.  It would only complicate matters.

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 14:02         ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2002-04-10 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: dje, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 15:25:31 -0400
> From: Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com>

> David Edelsohn wrote:
> >         Is the software pipelining optimization which relies on the DFA
> > scheduler ready as well?
>
> Why should it be ready to merge the dfa-based scheduler?  The bigger
> patch, the harder to merge it.  My plan is to merge the dfa-based
> scheduler into the main trunk and after that use the branch to work on
> software pipelining and may be a new interblock insn scheduler.

Yes, I agree.  In fact, even if software pipelining was ready now, I
would prefer that you submit it separately if possible.

--
- Geoffrey Keating <geoffk@geoffk.org> <geoffk@redhat.com>

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 13:51         ` Vladimir Makarov
From: Vladimir Makarov @ 2002-04-10 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Clarke; +Cc: geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

Stephen Clarke wrote:

> vmakarov@redhat.com wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Geoff.  I'll do it.  I think that I could finish it in week.
>
> For which targets do you plan to enable DFA scheduling?
>
> IIRC, the SH-4 specific work was done by Noida, so will that
> be a separate patch once the main DFA patch has been accepted?  Or
> will you include it in your patch?

The patch will include all code added into the branch (I asked
permission to merge the branch).  Currently, it is dfa-based scheduler
itself and code (dfa descriptions) to use dfa-scheduler for ultrasparc
and sh4.

Vlad

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 13:40       ` Stephen Clarke
From: Stephen Clarke @ 2002-04-10 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vmakarov; +Cc: geoffk, dberlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

vmakarov@redhat.com wrote:

> Thanks, Geoff.  I'll do it.  I think that I could finish it in week.

For which targets do you plan to enable DFA scheduling?

IIRC, the SH-4 specific work was done by Noida, so will that
be a separate patch once the main DFA patch has been accepted?  Or
will you include it in your patch?

Steve.

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 12:45       ` Vladimir Makarov
From: Vladimir Makarov @ 2002-04-10 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Geoff Keating, Daniel Berlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

David Edelsohn wrote:

> Geoff> 3. Since this is about performance, some performance statistics should
> Geoff> be provided.  I believe Vlad has some SPEC results, which would be
> Geoff> good to provide in the message; in particular, it's important that
> Geoff> the patch doesn't cause performance to significantly decrease on
> Geoff> any platform (I'm thinking of powerpc), even if it only provides a
> Geoff> benefit for some platforms.  It's not necessary to run SPEC on the
> Geoff> final patch, an old run (so long as it's still likely to be valid)
> Geoff> will be OK.
>
>         How does the DFA scheduler impact the time it takes to compile a
> program relative to the current scheduler?

  David, the dfa-based scheduler should be not slower than the current
one especially for processors with complicated pipeline characteristics
if we do not use multipass insn scheduling.  The multipass scheduling
tries permutations of queue of insns ready to issue.   It improves code
slightly.  The current scheduler does not implement the multipass
scheduling.  We could implement it for the current scheduler but it will
be much slower than the code using the dfa-based description.  In any
case, I'll check the time too.  If we have a compilation speed
degradation we could switch on the multipass scheduling only for -O3.

   I am working on dfa-based scheduler for ia64.  It is a big work.
There are a lot of code already written for tuning the current
scheduler.  I've just recently made a preliminary automaton description
of itanium and switched on its usage for the 1st insn scheduling.  I've
tried it on several small tests.  There is no visible degradation in
code quality or significant changes in the generated code size, but the
compiler works faster on 10-15%.  In these experiments I did not use the
multipass scheduler.

@ 2002-04-10 12:04     ` Vladimir Makarov
From: Vladimir Makarov @ 2002-04-10 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

@ 2002-04-10 11:55     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2002-04-10 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoff Keating; +Cc: Daniel Berlin, tm, gcc, vmakarov

Geoff> 3. Since this is about performance, some performance statistics should
Geoff> be provided.  I believe Vlad has some SPEC results, which would be
Geoff> good to provide in the message; in particular, it's important that
Geoff> the patch doesn't cause performance to significantly decrease on
Geoff> any platform (I'm thinking of powerpc), even if it only provides a
Geoff> benefit for some platforms.  It's not necessary to run SPEC on the
Geoff> final patch, an old run (so long as it's still likely to be valid)
Geoff> will be OK.

	How does the DFA scheduler impact the time it takes to compile a
program relative to the current scheduler?

	Is the software pipelining optimization which relies on the DFA
scheduler ready as well?

David

* Re: DFA scheduler merge - approval issues?
@ 2002-04-10 11:43   ` Geoff Keating
From: Geoff Keating @ 2002-04-10 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin, tm; +Cc: gcc, vmakarov

@ 2002-04-10 11:15 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2002-04-10 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tm; +Cc: gcc, vmakarov

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, tm wrote:

> I'm wondering what issues are preventing the DFA scheduler from being
> approved for inclusion into the mainline source?
I'm also curious.
I know Vlad sent a message asking if he could merge it, after we
branched for 3.1.
Nobody responded.

Vlad, does it still bootstrap/cause no regressions?

@ 2002-04-10 11:01 tm