* [info@fsf.org: GCC bounds checking]
@ 2002-10-15 14:02 Brett Smith
From: Brett Smith @ 2002-10-15 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Greetings,

This is a report about the GCC web page which was sent to <gnu@gnu.org>.
I'll leave it to you to decide what to do with it.

Thanks,

----- Forwarded message from RE <eagle888@bellsouth.net> -----

Subject: GCC bounds checking
From: RE <eagle888@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:59:34 -0400
	version=2.42

Hello!

Please either delete or fix the bounds checking link. It takes you to a page
of http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Haj.Ten.Brugge/

On this page there is not a valid email address and also none of the code
compiles!!! You get compiles errors on all versions!!

This is worthless!

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Brett Smith
Free Software Foundation     |  Phone: +1-617-542-5942

* Re: [info@fsf.org: GCC bounds checking]
@ 2002-10-16 10:47 ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2002-10-16 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Smith; +Cc: gcc, eagle888

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:21:30PM -0400, Brett Smith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is a report about the GCC web page which was sent to <gnu@gnu.org>.
> I'll leave it to you to decide what to do with it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ----- Forwarded message from RE <eagle888@bellsouth.net> -----
>
> Subject: GCC bounds checking
> From: RE <eagle888@bellsouth.net>
> Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 07:59:34 -0400
>
> Hello!
>
> Please either delete or fix the bounds checking link. It takes you to a page
> of http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/Haj.Ten.Brugge/
>
> On this page there is not a valid email address and also none of the code
> compiles!!! You get compiles errors on all versions!!
>
> This is worthless!
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

I contacted Herman Ten Brugge at the address listed at that web page,
following the directions for turning it into a valid address.  He uses
the patch regularly on i386 and sparc-solaris and is not aware of any
problems.

If you have not built GCC before, try building it without the patch
first to make sure your build is being done correctly.  See the
installation instructions in the INSTALL directory of the source you
download, and follow them carefully.

If you report programs to Herman, then as with any report of a GCC
problem, please include information about what version of GCC you're
trying to build, what configuration options were used, and the error
messages you got.

Janis Johnson
IBM Linux Technology Center

* RE: [info@fsf.org: GCC bounds checking]
@ 2002-10-17  7:21   ` RE
From: RE @ 2002-10-17  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson, Brett Smith; +Cc: gcc

First of all, let me sincerely apologize to all for that burst of flames! I
was extremely frustrated at that point, after having downloaded and
attempted to build without success all versions of the bounds checking code.
My problem was in using bison version 1.5. It breaks the code! After backing
out bison 1.5 and installing 1.28, everything worked as advertised. Also, I
didn't pay attention to the instructions for fixing the email address!

Best regards,
Bob