* egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-07 15:26 Bart Vansegbroeck
From: Bart Vansegbroeck @ 1998-04-07 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

As requested this mail is intended to notify you of the succesfull
installation of egcs-1.0.2 on an intel-486 dx2 computer, running RedHat
4.0 with the 2.0.18 kernel. The installation ran smooth and took about
4h40minutes.
The output of the program config.guess was the single line:
i486-pc-linux-gnulibc1

With kind regards,
Bart Vansegbroeck

	"As usual, goodness hardly puts up a fight"
							Calvin (Waterson)
	Bart.Vansegbroeck@rug.ac.be
	Student Computer Sciences, University of Ghent, Belgium

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-19  1:49           ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-04-19  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs; +Cc: Craig Burley, sichen, law

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
>   * For years folks have been striving to make the gnu tools easier
>   to build/install and have been preacing the "tar xzf blah.tar.gz; cd blah;
>   configure; make" as all they need to do for most installations.

I agree that this should work, if possible in any way.

What originally triggered this thread, however, was the case where someone
would build in a separate tree which is rooted within the source tree.

_This_ we should warn against and, as someone else has suggested, we could
even detect and refuse to build in such a situation.

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-18  1:43         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-18  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Craig Burley; +Cc: pfeifer, sichen, egcs

  In message < 199804161538.LAA23802@melange.gnu.org >you write:
  > >To the egcs guys: INSTALL/CONFIGURE does not state this clearly, should I
  > >submit a patch?
  >
  > I'd prefer that configure detect and reject this.  A simple-minded
  > approach might be something along the lines of:
Funny, I recommended we do that internally at Cygnus since new folks
always make the mistake of building in the source tree once.

The idea was to catch it in the toplevel configure and issue a warning
or error.

While I *personally* think it's a great idea, there are some drawbacks:

  * For years folks have been striving to make the gnu tools easier
  to build/install and have been preacing the "tar xzf blah.tar.gz; cd blah;
  configure; make" as all they need to do for most installations.

  Changing configure to only allow building in a separate dir breaks
  that model.

  * What to do about systems that don't have gnu-make.  Yes, we can
  suggest people use it over and over, but some folks always ignore
  that suggestion.   Most of the time vendor makes can't handle building
  outside of the source tree.

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-17 23:53           ` Craig Burley
From: Craig Burley @ 1998-04-17 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law; +Cc: pfeifer, sichen, egcs

>While I *personally* think it's a great idea, there are some drawbacks:
>
>  * For years folks have been striving to make the gnu tools easier
>  to build/install and have been preacing the "tar xzf blah.tar.gz; cd blah;
>  configure; make" as all they need to do for most installations.

Oops, I think I misspoke about "my" idea.  I didn't mean to reject
that kind of configuration; I meant to reject the kind where,
after "cd blah", people do "mkdir obj; ../configure; make".

Indeed I don't want to disallow something that people have used, and
that has worked, for a long time.  Just the one thing that we've
been discussing that doesn't work, but fails in a way that is hard
for people to understand: building in a separate objdir that also
is a subdirectory of the srcdir.

I think the pseudo-sh code I posted earlier is probably easily edited
to accommodate that (e.g. "rm -f ${srcdir}/${INOBJ}" just before
the "find" command, or similar).  But I still assume my code is
a slow, default way to do things.

Sorry for the confusion.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-17 22:05         ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-17 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Sicheneder; +Cc: Horst von Brand, egcs

  In message < 35366F98.2C98D7EE@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de >you write:
  > btw: what does 'cat piclist' mean?!
"piclist" is a file containing a list of the .o files that should be
included in the shared library.

It certainly exists on your system because that's how you got the
reference to "pic/cmathi.o".

  > doesnt exist in my sources (or is this list created during build
  > process?)?
It is created during the build process.  Somewhere/somehow the
pic subdirs aren't getting built correctly.

jeff

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-16 18:39       ` Markus Sicheneder
From: Markus Sicheneder @ 1998-04-16 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Horst von Brand, egcs

Horst von Brand wrote:

> Markus Sicheneder <sichen@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de> said:
> > emplates -Wl,-soname,libstdc++.so.`echo 2.8.0 | sed
> > 's/\([0-9][.][0-9]\).*/\1/'` -shared -o
> > libstdc++.so.2.8.0 `cat piclist` -lm
> > xgcc: pic/cmathi.o: No such file or directory
>
> I've run into similar problems sometimes, couldn't remember the exact
> circumstances and so didn't report the problem. What happens here is that
> the 'pic' directory doesn't exist.  Create it, and everything works.

horst,

thanks for your hint, but: i've created the pic dir in both the object
and the source directory but the same error occurs :-(

----snip----
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/egcs-obj/libraries/libio'
/usr/src/egcs-obj/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-obj/gcc/ -g -O2
-fno-implicit-templates -Wl,-soname,libstdc++.so.`echo 2.8.0 | sed
's/\([0-9][.][0-9]\).*/\1/'` -shared -o libstdc++.so.2.8.0 `cat piclist`
-lm
xgcc: pic/cmathi.o: No such file or directory
----snip----

btw: what does 'cat piclist' mean?! is it possible that this 'piclist'
doesnt exist in my sources (or is this list created during build
process?)?
those missing object files in the pic directory seem to be the problem

markus

--
Markus Sicheneder, Allmandring 20 C, D-70569 Stuttgart
e-mail: sichen@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-16 10:51       ` Craig Burley
From: Craig Burley @ 1998-04-16 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: sichen, law, egcs

>This seems to indicate that you have your object direct _within_ the egcs
>sourcetree. Please try the same with an object tree that does not reside
>there.
>
>To the egcs guys: INSTALL/CONFIGURE does not state this clearly, should I
>submit a patch?

I'd prefer that configure detect and reject this.  A simple-minded
approach might be something along the lines of:

  # The filename used below must not exist in the source directory!
  INOBJ=in-obj

  touch ${object}/${INOBJ}
  if [ find ${srcdir} -name ${INOBJ} ] then
      echo some whine
      exit 1
  fi
  rm -f ${INOBJ}

However, that might make the configuration process much slower
than it is already (especially on NFS setups?), so a more clever
approach is probably required, e.g. one that actually parses
the text of the relevant pathnames (which might be challenging
when handling non-UNIX systems).

Reason for this is that I feel a general prioritized approach to
dealing with things like this (situations where the software won't
work quite right) looks something like:

  1.  Make it work in that situation.

  2.  Make it detect that situation and reject it as soon as possible
      (ideally, right when the user who creates the situation does so,
      instead of complaining to user B that user A set things up wrong),
      using a nice clear error message.  Document that the situation must
      not occur, as appropriate.

  3.  Document that the situation must not occur.

  4.  Don't cope with it at all, just tell people who complain that
      they screwed up.

I think we all agree that egcs (and gcc?) are at Level 4 right now and
that it's at least fairly easy to move up to Level 3, but if we
can move to Level 2 or 1, I'm all for it.  But I'm not confident
enough in my own skills vis-a-vis portable shell-script programming
to offer a patch myself at this time.

        tq vm, (burley)

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1998-04-16 10:51     ` Horst von Brand
From: Horst von Brand @ 1998-04-16 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Sicheneder; +Cc: egcs

Markus Sicheneder <sichen@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de> said:

[...]

> as far as i can see, stage1 and stage2 are built without problems. the
> following are the very last rows of the build process; where it stops
> with an error:
>
> ----snip----
> make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/egcs-1.0.2/objdir/libraries/libio'
> make[3]: `iostream.list' is up to date.
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/egcs-1.0.2/objdir/libraries/libio'
> /usr/src/egcs-1.0.2/objdir/gcc/xgcc -B/usr/src/egcs-1.0.2/objdir/gcc/ -g
> -O2 -fno-implicit-t
> emplates -Wl,-soname,libstdc++.so.`echo 2.8.0 | sed
> 's/\([0-9][.][0-9]\).*/\1/'` -shared -o
> libstdc++.so.2.8.0 `cat piclist` -lm
> xgcc: pic/cmathi.o: No such file or directory

I've run into similar problems sometimes, couldn't remember the exact
circumstances and so didn't report the problem. What happens here is that
the 'pic' directory doesn't exist.  Create it, and everything works.
--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-16  2:26     ` Manfred Hollstein US/EPB3 60/1F/110 #40283
From: Manfred Hollstein US/EPB3 60/1F/110 #40283 @ 1998-04-16  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sichen; +Cc: law, egcs

On Wed, 15 April 1998, 19:35:40, sichen@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de wrote:

 > Jeffrey A Law wrote:
 > >
 > >   In message < 35347CE7.C921A21B@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de >you write:
 > >   > i have just one further question:
 > >   > how to build the shared stdc++ libraries. trying the "--enable-shared"
 > >   > option gave me an error during compilation.
 > > What error did it give you?  If you don't tell us the actual error,
 > > then it's hard to suggest any hints on how to fix the problem.
 >
 > jeff, thanks for your answer.
 > i thought that it was maybe a known problem, so i didn't tell details,
 > sorry.

Well, your problem has been  observed already  on Solaris using  Sun's
make, but I've never seen (or heard about) it  on Linux ;-? You should
be able to build everything correctly, if you're  using a builddir not
located  in  srcdir; i.e.  create   a directory  egcs-1.0.2-build as a
sibling directory to egcs-1.0.2.

manfred

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-15 23:03     ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 1998-04-15 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Sicheneder; +Cc: law, egcs

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Markus Sicheneder wrote:
> the error does not occur, when i just do a "../configure
> --prefix=/usr/egcs"?!

This seems to indicate that you have your object direct _within_ the egcs
sourcetree. Please try the same with an object tree that does not reside
there.

To the egcs guys: INSTALL/CONFIGURE does not state this clearly, should I
submit a patch?

Gerald

PS: I believe our question should have gone to egcs-bugs, Markus...
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-15 19:57     ` Jeffrey A Law
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-15 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Sicheneder; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 3534EFEC.57D21F70@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de >you write:
  > Jeffrey A Law wrote:
  > >
  > >   In message < 35347CE7.C921A21B@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de >you write:
  > >   > i have just one further question:
  > >   > how to build the shared stdc++ libraries. trying the "--enable-shared
  > "
  > >   > option gave me an error during compilation.
  > > What error did it give you?  If you don't tell us the actual error,
  > > then it's hard to suggest any hints on how to fix the problem.
  >
  > jeff, thanks for your answer.
  > i thought that it was maybe a known problem, so i didn't tell details,
  > sorry.
  > as far as i can see, stage1 and stage2 are built without problems. the
  > following are the very last rows of the build process; where it stops
  > with an error:
[ ... ]

  > xgcc: pic/cmathi.o: No such file or directory
[ ... ]

Try building totally outside of the source directory, not as
a subdir of the source tree.
jeff

* Re: egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-15 15:09   ` Markus Sicheneder
                       ` (3 more replies)
From: Markus Sicheneder @ 1998-04-15 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: law, egcs

@ 1998-04-15 11:37 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 1998-04-15 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Sicheneder; +Cc: egcs

  In message < 35347CE7.C921A21B@studbox.uni-stuttgart.de >you write:
  > i have just one further question:
  > how to build the shared stdc++ libraries. trying the "--enable-shared"
  > option gave me an error during compilation.
What error did it give you?  If you don't tell us the actual error,
then it's hard to suggest any hints on how to fix the problem.

  > -----
  > sichen:/usr/src/egcs-1.0.2 # ./config.guess
  > i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1.
  > -----
I've successfully built 1.0.2 with --enable-shared on that
platform.

jeff

* egcs-1.0.2 installation
@ 1998-04-15  2:25 Markus Sicheneder
From: Markus Sicheneder @ 1998-04-15  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

hello,

refering to your installation guide, i just want to inform you that i
have successfully built and installed egcs-1.0.2 on my system.

i have just one further question:
how to build the shared stdc++ libraries. trying the "--enable-shared"
option gave me an error during compilation.

any hint would greatly appreciated.

regards,
	markus sicheneder

-----