* A dumb question from an ignorant user (no sarcasm, either!)
@ 2000-01-27  6:42 Leon McKinney
From: Leon McKinney @ 2000-01-27  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I am completely new to Linux - I have been writing Fortran code since 1977
on IBMs, CDCS, DEC-VAX/VMS, and, since 1993, DOS/Windows PCs exclusively.
My experience with UNIX-type operating systems was limited to moron commands
like "md", "cd", "mkdir", "mv", "cp" and so on.  I want to get on board the
Linux train - starting with my Fortran applications.

I have Red Hat Linux 6.1 installed successfully and downloaded GCC 2.95.2
and read through the HTML documentation in the INSTALL directory.

I THINK I can get this up and running on my Pentium III.

Based on my 20 years of writing code and installing software, the fact that
my reviewing the installation directions has generated a tentative
confidence on my part means that in reality I will probably screw everything
up beyond recognition.

Does anyone have anything helpful for a total UNIX/Linux ignoramus?

Any response will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Leon E. McKinney
McKinney Associates
1756 Stifel Lane Drive
Town & Country, MO 63017
Tel: (314) 514-1352
Fax: (314) 514-1353
E-mail: leonmck@mckinneyassociates.com
Web: http://www.mckinneyassociates.com

* Re: A dumb question from an ignorant user (no sarcasm, either!)
@ 2000-01-27  6:59 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2000-01-27  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon McKinney; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000, Leon McKinney wrote:

> I THINK I can get this up and running on my Pentium III.
>
> Based on my 20 years of writing code and installing software, the fact that
> my reviewing the installation directions has generated a tentative
> confidence on my part means that in reality I will probably screw everything
> up beyond recognition.
>
> Does anyone have anything helpful for a total UNIX/Linux ignoramus?

Um, why don't you give it a try and then ask if you have problems?

--
Brian Ford
Software Engineer