* Removing/Freezing web stuff for old releases
@ 2000-02-01  3:18 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-02-01  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

What do you think about removing the web pages for old releases, more
specifically egcs-1.0.x and/or egcs-1.1.x?

Can we remove these or do we want to keep them for historical reasons?
(Note that in any case the pages will still remain in CVS!)

If we decide to keep them, is it okay to freeze them, i.e., don't make
any further changes like the switch to MetaHTML?

Gerald

* Re: Removing/Freezing web stuff for old releases
@ 2000-02-01  5:15 ` Jeffrey A Law
From: Jeffrey A Law @ 2000-02-01  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

  In message < Pine.BSF.4.21.0002011212580.38341-100000@deneb.dbai.tuwien.ac.at >
you write:
  > What do you think about removing the web pages for old releases, more
  > specifically egcs-1.0.x and/or egcs-1.1.x?
  >
  > Can we remove these or do we want to keep them for historical reasons?
  > (Note that in any case the pages will still remain in CVS!)
  >
  > If we decide to keep them, is it okay to freeze them, i.e., don't make
  > any further changes like the switch to MetaHTML?
Probably the only thing of significant interest is the release announcements
as they contain the features/bugfixes found on those specific releases.

jeffk

* Re: Removing/Freezing web stuff for old releases
@ 2000-02-01  8:47 ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2000-02-01  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

> What do you think about removing the web pages for old releases, more
> specifically egcs-1.0.x and/or egcs-1.1.x?

I think that it's too soon.  In a lot of the user community, people
are still using rather old compilers (e.g. 2.7.2) and then they get
a Linux or BSD distribution that uses egcs 1.0 or 1.1 and want to
know what is "new".  So the pages should stay.

> If we decide to keep them, is it okay to freeze them, i.e., don't make
> any further changes like the switch to MetaHTML?

Freezing them is fine; we're not going to change those compilers now.

* Re: Removing/Freezing web stuff for old releases
@ 2000-02-01  9:02   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-02-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeffrey A Law, Joe Buck; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Jeffrey A Law wrote:
> Probably the only thing of significant interest is the release announcements
> as they contain the features/bugfixes found on those specific releases.

I had a look and the relevant information there is be spread over
(most of) the files there, like features.html and c++features.html,
so we probably simply should keep everything.

And Joe wrote:
> Freezing them is fine; we're not going to change those compilers now.

Well, there are some inapropriate references to egcs and the like (Note
that these pages now also appear on the www.gnu.org site!), but for now
I simply disabled the MetaHTML preprocessing for these pages and copy them
as is.

@ 2000-02-01  9:06     ` Joe Buck
From: Joe Buck @ 2000-02-01  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pfeifer; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, Joe Buck, gcc

> And Joe wrote:
> > Freezing them is fine; we're not going to change those compilers now.
>
> Well, there are some inapropriate references to egcs and the like (Note
> that these pages now also appear on the www.gnu.org site!), but for now
> I simply disabled the MetaHTML preprocessing for these pages and copy them
> as is.

No, using the term egcs for egcs-1.0.x and egcs-1.1.x is completely
appropriate.  Changing the name there would be confusing and wrong.
The FSF isn't going to object to use of those names to describe these
releases.

* Re: Removing/Freezing web stuff for old releases
@ 2000-02-01  9:12       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2000-02-01  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Buck; +Cc: Jeffrey A Law, gcc

On Tue, 1 Feb 2000, Joe Buck wrote:
> No, using the term egcs for egcs-1.0.x and egcs-1.1.x is completely
> appropriate.  Changing the name there would be confusing and wrong.

Yup. I was thinking of "Return to the EGCS homepage" links etc, but
at least we don't seem to have any such link pointing to "/" -- for in
that case we'd refer to http://www.gnu.org/ as the "EGCS homepage". :-}

I think I'll make a quick pass over these pages nevertheless and fix these
issues, to avoid confusion.

Gerald