* Porting question - how do I choose name-mangling style?
@ 1998-03-27 15:18 Brad M. Garcia
From: Brad M. Garcia @ 1998-03-27 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egcs

I'd like to create an i386-wrs-vxworks compiler that uses the
ELF format (normally it uses a.out).

Basically, I want an ELF compiler so that templates will use
weak symbols and get cancelled out during linking.  Then, I will
need to link together these ELF object files with some a.out object
files (like VxWorks itself) and then create a binary image to load
onto the target.

I think I have ported binutils correctly.  I can convert the a.out
files to ELF, and link everything together as ELF, but then I get
unresolved symbols.  These symbols appear to be unresolved simply
because the name mangling is slightly different between the ELF
compiler and the a.out compiler (such as using "." instead of "$",
adding "__Fv" to the end in one case, and not the other, etc.)

For an ELF compiler, I am currently using an i386-pc-linux compiler.
I would like to port egcs to create an actual i386-wrs-vxworks compiler
that understands ELF, does all the header file fixing correctly, and
uses the same name mangling style as the a.out compiler.

Can anyone tell me what files/variables I need to look at?  This isn't
as obvious to me as the binutils port.

Brad Garcia
   ___/  __ /  __ /  ___/ "Being the Linux of digital media
  __/   /  /  / _/  __/    would be a very good life."
_/    ____/ _/ _| ____/      - Jean-Louis Gassee, CEO of Be, Inc.

only message in thread, other threads:[~1998-03-27 15:18 UTC | newest]