* Documenting partial builds (Was Re: ^c now disallowed?)
@ 2002-12-28  4:11 Nathanael Nerode
From: Nathanael Nerode @ 2002-12-28  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: binutils, gdb, gcc

DJ said:
>I think a better solution to support is documenting how to do a
>partial configure/build without needing the ctrl-c.  So that you'd
>just say "make all-this all-that" and know that it's doing the right
>minimal set of rules.

Now that I've autoconfiscated the top level, this is my next project.
(I'll get back to cleaning up the top level, but I'll do this first.)

The big question is, *where* should this be documented?  I can document
the toplevel Makefile interface quite clearly, but I'm very unsure where
to put said documentation; should I duplicate it in the docs for each
package (and if so, where in those docs)?  Put it in some special
location?  What?

--Nathanael

* Re: Documenting partial builds (Was Re: ^c now disallowed?)
@ 2002-12-28  9:18 ` Joseph S. Myers
From: Joseph S. Myers @ 2002-12-28  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathanael Nerode; +Cc: binutils, gdb, gcc

On Fri, 27 Dec 2002, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> The big question is, *where* should this be documented?  I can document
> the toplevel Makefile interface quite clearly, but I'm very unsure where
> to put said documentation; should I duplicate it in the docs for each
> package (and if so, where in those docs)?  Put it in some special
> location?  What?

The old toplevel is documented in etc/configure.texi in src, which is
where the GCC internals manual (sourcebuild.texi) currently links to for
documentation of toplevel.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jsm28@cam.ac.uk