* How to getline when you have used cin >> char?
@ 2002-09-02 18:35 weihui qiu
From: weihui qiu @ 2002-09-02 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi,

There is a strange behavior about g++ compiler under
unix system. When I first cin >> char and then
cin.getline(char*, int), it don't wait for me to input
a line, but directly execute the next line. How to
solve this problem? Please help me!!

Regards!
Weihui

leo:~/adv_str/hw1 > cat try.cxx
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main () {
    char c;
    cout << "Input a char!!";
    cin >> c;
    cout << c << endl;
    char* line = new char[1000];
    cout << "Please input sentence: " << endl;
    cin.getline(line, 1000);
    cout << line << endl;
    cout << "Input a char!!";
    cin >> c;
    cout << c << endl;
    return 0;
}

leo:~/adv_str/hw1 >
leo:~/adv_str/hw1 > g++ try.cxx
leo:~/adv_str/hw1 > a.out
Input a char!!c
Please input sentence:
                       //Here don't wait for input!!!
Input a char!!a
leo:~/adv_str/hw1 >

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: How to getline when you have used cin >> char?
@ 2002-09-02 18:57 ` Jeff Sturm
From: Jeff Sturm @ 2002-09-02 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weihui qiu; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002, weihui qiu wrote:
> There is a strange behavior about g++ compiler under
> unix system. When I first cin >> char and then
> cin.getline(char*, int), it don't wait for me to input
> a line, but directly execute the next line. How to
> solve this problem? Please help me!!

Not strange at all.  Read about stty and raw vs. cooked tty input.

Your question is off-topic for this list since it has nothing to do with
development of g++.

Jeff