* Re: BUGZILLA: Default no auto-mail for CC: changes
@ 2003-05-21 21:42 Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-21 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, dberlin

Since you ask: I for one certainly do not want mail if something changes
in any bug report which I ever touched. That would get me mail for almost
all PRs in the database ;-)

I want emails, if I have explicitly added myself to the CC: list. It seems
as if presently everyone who has ever changed something in a PR is in the
CC list.

W.

Wolfgang Bangerth              email:            bangerth@ices.utexas.edu
                               www: http://www.ices.utexas.edu/~bangerth/

* Re: BUGZILLA: Default no auto-mail for CC: changes
@ 2003-05-21 21:49 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-21 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wolfgang Bangerth; +Cc: gcc

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 05:37  PM, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:

> Since you ask: I for one certainly do not want mail if something
> changes
> in any bug report which I ever touched. That would get me mail for
> almost
> all PRs in the database ;-)
>
> I want emails, if I have explicitly added myself to the CC: list.

Change your email prefs to say that.
> It seems
> as if presently everyone who has ever changed something in a PR is in
> the
> CC list.

This is closer than you think to how i came up with the cc list
:)
It probably only *really* hurts people like you who touch *tons* of
bugs.
I can remove you from the cc list of every bug if you like, and you can
explicitly add yourself.
--Dan

* Re: BUGZILLA: Default no auto-mail for CC: changes
@ 2003-05-21 22:20   ` Wolfgang Bangerth
From: Wolfgang Bangerth @ 2003-05-21 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: gcc

> This is closer than you think to how i came up with the cc list :)

Why? GNATS did have a CC: list?

> It probably only *really* hurts people like you who touch *tons* of
> bugs.

Indeed. Is there a way to count on how many PRs I presently subscribed
(just for the fun of it)?

> I can remove you from the cc list of every bug if you like, and you can
> explicitly add yourself.

I think I would actually appreciate this. You may also want to ask the
other professional bugmasters (Volker, Christian, Giovanni, Eric, ...)

Thanks
  Wolfgang

@ 2003-05-21 21:25   ` Phil Edwards
From: Phil Edwards @ 2003-05-21 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Berlin; +Cc: Kelley Cook, gcc

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 05:07:46PM -0400, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> >And I think everyone by default should have "email me on a 'CC:'
> >change" turned off.
>
> Do other people want this?

Knowledge of CC changes doesn't seem to be particularly interesting.

Getting the bugzilla mail "right" seems a Sisyphean task.  It may be
best to just draw people's attention to the fact that they can change the
settings for their own account.  gcc-bugs should probably get as little
mail as possible.

Phil

* Re: BUGZILLA: Default no auto-mail for CC: changes
@ 2003-05-21 21:10 ` Daniel Berlin
From: Daniel Berlin @ 2003-05-21 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelley Cook; +Cc: gcc

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 05:01  PM, Kelley Cook wrote:

> Bugzilla defaults to sending status updates to anyone listed on the CC
> list for ANY change
>
> This is especially bad for the account "gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org", which
> is now basically getting spammed by Bugzilla from any minute change to
> any bug.  You probably should turn off most of those automailings for
> that address.

I just emailed a message about this.

> And I think everyone by default should have "email me on a 'CC:'
> change" turned off.

Do other people want this?

@ 2003-05-21 21:06 Kelley Cook
From: Kelley Cook @ 2003-05-21 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Bugzilla defaults to sending status updates to anyone listed on the CC
list for ANY change

This is especially bad for the account "gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org", which is
now basically getting spammed by Bugzilla from any minute change to any
bug.  You probably should turn off most of those automailings for that
address.

And I think everyone by default should have "email me on a 'CC:' change"
turned off.  If for some reason, somebody actually would want to know if