* Freenode changing ownership
@ 2021-05-19 16:48 Eric Gallager
From: Eric Gallager @ 2021-05-19 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GCC Development

Recently I have noticed a post going around various FOSS circles about
Freenode changing hands:
https://gist.github.com/joepie91/df80d8d36cd9d1bde46ba018af497409
I also checked the GCC wiki, and on both its main page and its
GCConIRC page it advertises an IRC channel on Freenode for GCC:
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki and https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCConIRC
Many other projects have been talking about moving their IRC channels
to other servers in wake of this ownership change; is GCC going to do
likewise? Since GCC already also has an IRC channel on OFTC, maybe the
Freenode one could be moved there as well? Of course, that would
require coming up with a new name for the one being migrated from
Freenode, so that it doesn't clash with the existing GCC channel on
OFTC... Anyways, just something to consider; let me know if the
community decides anything.
Thanks,
Eric Gallager

* Re: Freenode changing ownership
@ 2021-05-19 17:41 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-05-19 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egall; +Cc: gcc

>Of course, that would require coming up with a new name for the one
>being migrated from Freenode, so that it doesn't clash with the
>existing GCC channel on OFTC

For consistency with the mailing lists, #gcc-help seems like an
obvious choice (if we do want to move it to OFTC rather than
libera.chat).