* MIPS Maintainer
@ 2020-12-07 19:24 Chao-ying Fu
From: Chao-ying Fu @ 2020-12-07 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mfortune; +Cc: gcc

Hello Matthew and all,

  This is Chao-ying Fu from Wave Computing (https://wavecomp.ai/mips-technology/).

  From the GCC MAINTAINERS file, we have the following persons (and more) who worked on the MIPS port in the past.
$ cat MAINTAINERS |grep mips
mips port               Matthew Fortune         <mfortune@gmail.com>
Chao-ying Fu                                    <fu@mips.com>
Maciej W. Rozycki                               <macro@linux-mips.org>
David Ung                                       <davidu@mips.com>

  We just wonder if you can sponsor me to become a MIPS maintainer, because Wave Computing would like to continue supporting MIPS architecture in GCC, although there are very few patches for MIPS recently. Any feedback is welcome.

  Thanks a lot for your help!

Regards,
Chao-ying

* Re: MIPS Maintainer
@ 2020-12-08  8:18 ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2020-12-08  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao-ying Fu; +Cc: mfortune, gcc

Hi Chao-ying,

 Great to hear from you again!

>   We just wonder if you can sponsor me to become a MIPS maintainer,
> because Wave Computing would like to continue supporting MIPS
> architecture in GCC, although there are very few patches for MIPS
> recently. Any feedback is welcome.

 Well, it's up to the GCC steering committee really to appoint maintainers
<https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html>, however you can post patches and help
with getting reviews through right away.  There hasn't been much traffic
with the MIPS port recently, but there has been some and it always helps
to have someone provide input.

  Maciej

* Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: MIPS Maintainer
@ 2020-12-08 17:50   ` Chao-ying Fu
From: Chao-ying Fu @ 2020-12-08 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: mfortune, gcc

Hi Maciej,

>  Great to hear from you again!

  It's great to hear from you, too!

> >   We just wonder if you can sponsor me to become a MIPS maintainer,
> > because Wave Computing would like to continue supporting MIPS
> > architecture in GCC, although there are very few patches for MIPS
> > recently. Any feedback is welcome.

>  Well, it's up to the GCC steering committee really to appoint maintainers
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html>, however you can post patches and help
> with getting reviews through right away.  There hasn't been much traffic
> with the MIPS port recently, but there has been some and it always helps
> to have someone provide input.

  I got David Edelsohn's email and replied to him yesterday.
We have some small tweaks in GCC and can send the patches.
There is a big patch for nanoMIPS that stays as-is for long time.
It will take time to get the patch working against the latest code base,
if the community wants to include nanoMIPS in GCC.

  Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Chao-ying

* Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: MIPS Maintainer
@ 2020-12-08 18:27     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2020-12-08 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao-ying Fu; +Cc: Maciej W. Rozycki, mfortune, gcc

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 12:52 PM Chao-ying Fu <cfu@wavecomp.com> wrote:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> >  Great to hear from you again!
>
>   It's great to hear from you, too!
>
> > >   We just wonder if you can sponsor me to become a MIPS maintainer,
> > > because Wave Computing would like to continue supporting MIPS
> > > architecture in GCC, although there are very few patches for MIPS
> > > recently. Any feedback is welcome.
>
> >  Well, it's up to the GCC steering committee really to appoint maintainers
> > <https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html>, however you can post patches and help
> > with getting reviews through right away.  There hasn't been much traffic
> > with the MIPS port recently, but there has been some and it always helps
> > to have someone provide input.
>
>   I got David Edelsohn's email and replied to him yesterday.
> We have some small tweaks in GCC and can send the patches.
> There is a big patch for nanoMIPS that stays as-is for long time.
> It will take time to get the patch working against the latest code base,
> if the community wants to include nanoMIPS in GCC.

You shouldn't ask to be a co-maintainer solely because you want to
contribute patches, or patches that are specific to your specific
implementation of Mips.  You already can contribute patches.
Maintainers / reviewers for a port review all patches relevant to the
port, their appointment is to the community role, not a role for their
specific vendor.

Thanks, David

* Re: [EXTERNAL]Re: MIPS Maintainer
@ 2020-12-09 11:15     ` Maciej W. Rozycki
From: Maciej W. Rozycki @ 2020-12-09 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chao-ying Fu; +Cc: mfortune, gcc

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Chao-ying Fu wrote:

> >  Well, it's up to the GCC steering committee really to appoint maintainers
> > <https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html>, however you can post patches and help
> > with getting reviews through right away.  There hasn't been much traffic
> > with the MIPS port recently, but there has been some and it always helps
> > to have someone provide input.
>
>   I got David Edelsohn's email and replied to him yesterday.
> We have some small tweaks in GCC and can send the patches.

 Please note that GCC is in Stage 3 as from Nov 16th, so if these are bug
fixes, then they may still qualify for inclusion with the upcoming GCC 11
release expected May-ish next year, but you need to hurry and submit them
ASAP.  Otherwise you'll have to wait until trunk reopens for general
development around the time of the release.

 See: <https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html> for the release pattern and:
<https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2020-November/234246.html> for the most
recent status (always linked from the: <https://gcc.gnu.org/> home page).

> There is a big patch for nanoMIPS that stays as-is for long time.
> It will take time to get the patch working against the latest code base,
> if the community wants to include nanoMIPS in GCC.

 I am glad this has not been lost, contrary to the fears I have expressed
in a discussion on the MIPS/NetBSD mailing list as recently as last week.

 This is however a major new feature, so it will definitely have to wait
for Stage 1.  You may post the patch(es) regardless, however they may not
attract much attention as people are busy with QA for GCC 11, especially
as in the current situation it is likely it will have to be a general
maintainer to approve such a change.  Mind that given how it has been
defined the nanoMIPS ISA might be considered an entirely new port/platform
though it will depend on how the support for it has been wired into GCC (I
don't know the details myself, I wasn't following that development).

 Also you will have to have binutils support approved and committed first,
and given their semiannual release schedule you may well start working on
a submission right away, so that at least you have a chance to have that
included with the Jul 2021 release (surely you won't make it for the Jan
2021 one).

 David has kindly explained the rest: just post the changes and have them
reviewed, and it's up to the community to decide if a new maintainer is
required and if so, who will that be.

 And last but not least, please make sure you are covered by a copyright
assignment with FSF under your current employment.

@ 2020-12-14 16:15       ` Chao-ying Fu
From: Chao-ying Fu @ 2020-12-14 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maciej W. Rozycki; +Cc: mfortune, gcc

Hi Maciej,

> > >  Well, it's up to the GCC steering committee really to appoint maintainers
> > > <https://gcc.gnu.org/steering.html>, however you can post patches and help
> > > with getting reviews through right away.  There hasn't been much traffic
> > > with the MIPS port recently, but there has been some and it always helps
> > > to have someone provide input.
> >
> >   I got David Edelsohn's email and replied to him yesterday.
> > We have some small tweaks in GCC and can send the patches.

>  Please note that GCC is in Stage 3 as from Nov 16th, so if these are bug
> fixes, then they may still qualify for inclusion with the upcoming GCC 11
> release expected May-ish next year, but you need to hurry and submit them
> ASAP.  Otherwise you'll have to wait until trunk reopens for general
> development around the time of the release.

>  See: <https://gcc.gnu.org/develop.html> for the release pattern and:
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2020-November/234246.html> for the most
> recent status (always linked from the: <https://gcc.gnu.org/> home page).

> > There is a big patch for nanoMIPS that stays as-is for long time.
> > It will take time to get the patch working against the latest code base,
> > if the community wants to include nanoMIPS in GCC.

 > I am glad this has not been lost, contrary to the fears I have expressed
> in a discussion on the MIPS/NetBSD mailing list as recently as last week.

  It's great to know.

>  This is however a major new feature, so it will definitely have to wait
> for Stage 1.  You may post the patch(es) regardless, however they may not
> attract much attention as people are busy with QA for GCC 11, especially
> as in the current situation it is likely it will have to be a general
> maintainer to approve such a change.  Mind that given how it has been
> defined the nanoMIPS ISA might be considered an entirely new port/platform
> though it will depend on how the support for it has been wired into GCC (I
> don't know the details myself, I wasn't following that development).

>  Also you will have to have binutils support approved and committed first,
> and given their semiannual release schedule you may well start working on
> a submission right away, so that at least you have a chance to have that
> included with the Jul 2021 release (surely you won't make it for the Jan
> 2021 one).

>  David has kindly explained the rest: just post the changes and have them
> reviewed, and it's up to the community to decide if a new maintainer is
> required and if so, who will that be.

  Yes, we will submit patches to get reviewed. Let the community decide if a
new MIPS maintainer is needed.

>  And last but not least, please make sure you are covered by a copyright
> assignment with FSF under your current employment.

  Yes, I will try to get a copyright assignment with FSF under Wave Computing.
My old ssh key is not working to clone GCC or Binutils git. I will need some help, later.

  Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Chao-ying