* several installed gcc, or libdir should depend upon -program-suffix...
@ 2009-06-09  6:20 Basile STARYNKEVITCH
From: Basile STARYNKEVITCH @ 2009-06-09  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello All,

I want to install several variants of gcc, to be specific: the trunk,
the lto branch, the MELT branch (all in the same prefix ie /usr/local)

I thought that just configuring each variant with its own program suffix
would be enough, so I configured the trunk with --program-suffix=-trunk,
the LTO branch with --program-suffix=-lto, the MELT branch with
--program-suffix=-melt

However, this does not work, since all three installations have the same
libexecsubdir that is /usr/local/libexec/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/4.5.0

Is there a configure option I missed? I definitely want all three to be
in the same prefix, and the user programs all be under /usr/local/bin ie
/usr/local/bin/gcc-{trunk,lto,melt}

Or should we patch the gcc/Makefile.in and probably the gcc/configure.ac
so that libsubdir and libexecsubdir depends upon the program-suffix at
configure time?

How do you folks have several GCC installed at the same prefix?

Regards.

PS: I hope all gcc summit attendees have a nice summit.

* Re: several installed gcc, or libdir should depend upon  -program-suffix...
@ 2009-06-09 10:52 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2009-06-09 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 9 Jun 2009, Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
> How do you folks have several GCC installed at the same prefix?

Yes, I have been doing this for the FreeBSD ports for years, and what
I am using there is the following

      --program-suffix=${SUFFIX} \
      --libdir=${TARGLIB} \
      --libexecdir=${LIBEXEC} \
      --with-gxx-include-dir=${TARGLIB}/include/c++/

with

      TARGLIB=        ${PREFIX}/lib/gcc${SUFFIX}
      LIBEXEC=        ${PREFIX}/libexec/gcc${SUFFIX}

Gerald