* Updating gnu.org/software Fortran Page
@ 2009-04-23 22:48 Rob Myers
From: Rob Myers @ 2009-04-23 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi.

The gnu.org webmaster team are going to be updating all the pages in the
gnu.org/software subdirectory, which includes -

http://www.gnu.org/software/fortran

This will involve changing the design of the page to match the new style
of gnu.org, and updating the information about the GNU Fortran project
if possible.

Is there any information you would like adding to the project page or
any other changes you would like making to its content?

Thanks.

- Rob Myers, Chief GNU Webmaster.

* Re: Updating gnu.org/software Fortran Page
@ 2009-09-13 19:59 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2009-09-13 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rob Myers; +Cc: gcc, fortran

Rob,

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Rob Myers wrote:
> The gnu.org webmaster team are going to be updating all the pages in the
> gnu.org/software subdirectory, which includes -
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/fortran
>
> This will involve changing the design of the page to match the new style
> of gnu.org, and updating the information about the GNU Fortran project
> if possible.
>
> Is there any information you would like adding to the project page or
> any other changes you would like making to its content?

I noticed this page now has a broken link to
  http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/gcc.html
which I believe is due to you guys now redirecting to gcc.gnu.org instead
of mirroring the actual pages.

You may want to adjust the link to http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/
instead, for example.

Also, let me include our dedicate list fortran@gcc.gnu.org and provide
the text this crew is using for their own description:

  Gfortran is the name of the GNU Fortran project, developing a free
  Fortran 95/2003 compiler for GCC, the GNU Compiler Collection. The
  gfortran development effort uses an open development environment in
  order to attract a larger team of developers and to ensure that gfortran
  can work on multiple architectures and diverse environments.

You may want to reuse that.

One thing I noticed is that your page really referes to g77 when we now
provide a more modern Fortran frontend.  So, I would not refer to g77 at
all, and also adjust the link your current have to "the online g77
documentation" to instead refer to
  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/ref/gfortran/
which will also redirect to the documentation of the latest released
version.  (Do not follow the redirect, but really use the link as I
specified it.)

Hope this helps,
Gerald