* Does bootstrap make native compiler faster? Should I always use --disable-boostrap?
@ 2021-06-02  8:10 sotrdg sotrdg
From: sotrdg sotrdg @ 2021-06-02  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The document said yes. However, what does bootstrap actually do that can make compiler faster?

* Re: Does bootstrap make native compiler faster? Should I always use --disable-boostrap?
@ 2021-06-02  9:26 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2021-06-02  9:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sotrdg sotrdg; +Cc: gcc

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 02 2021, sotrdg sotrdg via Gcc wrote:
> The document said yes. However, what does bootstrap actually do that can make compiler faster?

Assuming the gcc you are bootstrapping is newer than your system
compiler, it is quite likely to be better able to optimize itself than
the older system compiler.

Martin

* Re: Does bootstrap make native compiler faster? Should I always use --disable-boostrap?
@ 2021-06-02 12:41 ` Martin Liška
From: Martin Liška @ 2021-06-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sotrdg sotrdg, gcc

On 6/2/21 10:10 AM, sotrdg sotrdg via Gcc wrote:
> The document said yes. However, what does bootstrap actually do that can make compiler faster?

Hello.

In case of openSUSE, we leverage both bootstrap-lto config with 'make profiledbootstrap'. That utilizes
profile-guided optimization. Moreover, when the latest compiler provides a new optimization, then
only using bootstrap can benefit from it.

Hope it helps,
Martin