* Heads up: today's GCC snapshot
@ 2003-05-19 15:41 Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-19 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

I have modified the gcc_release script on gcc.gnu.org to put diff files
into a "diffs" subdirectory of the release/snapshots directory and am
going to test this change as part of todays's snapshot problem.

Should any problems arise, I am willing and prepared to address them this
evening.

Don't panic. :-)

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/

* Re: Heads up: today's GCC snapshot
@ 2003-05-20  4:50 ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2003-05-20  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> I have modified the gcc_release script on gcc.gnu.org to put diff files
> into a "diffs" subdirectory of the release/snapshots directory and am
> going to test this change as part of todays's snapshot problem.
>
> Should any problems arise, I am willing and prepared to address them this
> evening.
>
> Don't panic. :-)

Ok, not for *this* reason, but I'm panicking nevertheless... :-)

The latest (20030519) snapshot shows a 3.3.1 prerelease
version and not 3.4 prerelease as I had expected.

Due to bandwidth constraints, during the 3.3 cycle I
initially downloaded an early 3.3 snapshot and then
I used to update it every week with the weekly
snapshot diffs.

This allowed me to keep up with 3.3 (especially w.r.t.
GCJ) and be able to submit relevant patches.

Now I want to work with the bleeding edge 3.4, but
the snapshots are moving in a different direction.

What can I do? When will the snapshots move to 3.4?
What's the point of maintaining snapshots of
the 3.3 branch now?

BTW, this page:

     http://gcc.gnu.org/snapshots.html

should be updated with the status of the snapshots
w.r.t. to the various GCC branches at a given time
and "roadmap" for the snapshots vis-a-vis these
branches.

For example, when 3.3 branched off, the snapshots
took that road instead of continuing with MAIN. Now
that 3.3 has been released, should the snapshots
not "come back"? Or does it happen only during Stage 2
of the MAIN branch?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/

* Re: Heads up: today's GCC snapshot
@ 2003-05-20 20:48   ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-20 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranjit Mathew; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, 20 May 2003, Ranjit Mathew wrote:
> The latest (20030519) snapshot shows a 3.3.1 prerelease version and not
> 3.4 prerelease as I had expected.

Personally, I expect sufficiently many changes between 3.3 and 3.3.1
(given how wide-spread usage 3.3 will receive, now that it's an official
release) that running snapshots off the branch still is a good idea.

However, I also believe (and have received feedback in that direction)
that having snapshots off the release branch _and_ mainline is desirable.

I have recently started to familiarize myself with the gcc_release script
and have already made several changes.  My mid-term plan is the following:

 o Provide snapshots only as .bz2 (not as .bz2 and .gz); this reduces the
 load on gcc.gnu.org and mirror sites.

 o Make the branch/mainline version (3.3., 3.4,...) part of the name of
 snapshot directories and files.

 o Finally, create snapshots both for the 3.3 branch and mainline.

> What can I do? When will the snapshots move to 3.4?

As far as I can tell (but others may disagree and overrule this) after
3.3.1, at the latest.

> What's the point of maintaining snapshots of the 3.3 branch now?

Helping maintain/increase the qualitfy of the 3.3 branch, so that 3.3.1
really will be even more solid than 3.3.

> BTW, this page:
>
>      http://gcc.gnu.org/snapshots.html
>
> should be updated with the status of the snapshots w.r.t. to the various
> GCC branches at a given time and "roadmap" for the snapshots vis-a-vis
> these branches.

Well, yes. Just there really isn't such a formal roadmap. Providing
snapshots of mainline and the active release branch should address
most of your issues, though, I'd hope?

Gerald
--

@ 2003-05-21  6:34     ` Ranjit Mathew
From: Ranjit Mathew @ 2003-05-21  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> Personally, I expect sufficiently many changes between 3.3 and 3.3.1
> (given how wide-spread usage 3.3 will receive, now that it's an official
> release) that running snapshots off the branch still is a good idea.

Hmmm...depends on how one interprets the goal of providing
snapshots (vide http://gcc.gnu.org/snapshots.html):

"These snapshots are intended to give everyone access to
work in progress."

*Most* of the real "work in progress" seems to be on the
3.4 branch/mainline rather than on the 3.3 branch.

> I have recently started to familiarize myself with the gcc_release script
> and have already made several changes.  My mid-term plan is the following:
>
>  o Provide snapshots only as .bz2 (not as .bz2 and .gz); this reduces the
>  load on gcc.gnu.org and mirror sites.
>
>  o Make the branch/mainline version (3.3., 3.4,...) part of the name of
>  snapshot directories and files.
>
>  o Finally, create snapshots both for the 3.3 branch and mainline.

This scheme would be *ideal* for people like me! Many thanks
in advance for this. (I hope you don't face problems with
people who are "anal" ;-) about bzip2 v/s gzip.)

>>What can I do? When will the snapshots move to 3.4?
>

> As far as I can tell (but others may disagree and overrule this) after
> 3.3.1, at the latest.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So it might very well happen *before* 3.3.1, right?

> Well, yes. Just there really isn't such a formal roadmap. Providing
> snapshots of mainline and the active release branch should address
> most of your issues, though, I'd hope?

*All issues* in fact! :-)

Ranjit.

--

@ 2003-05-23 23:59       ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2003-05-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranjit Mathew; +Cc: gcc

On Wed, 21 May 2003, Ranjit Mathew wrote:
>>  o Provide snapshots only as .bz2 (not as .bz2 and .gz); this reduces the
>>  load on gcc.gnu.org and mirror sites.
>>
>>  o Make the branch/mainline version (3.3., 3.4,...) part of the name of
>>  snapshot directories and files.
>>
>>  o Finally, create snapshots both for the 3.3 branch and mainline.
> So it might very well happen *before* 3.3.1, right?

Yes.  I'm working on it, but the gcc_release script is not exactly
trivial to hack, and it's a critical piece of infrastructure, so I'm
applying changes incremently (and have them tested by the next weekly
snapshot).

After the change I just committed, I'll try to switch the next snapshot
to .bz2 only.

Gerald
--
Gerald "Jerry"   pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.pfeifer.com/gerald/