* Deprecating nds32-*-linux-* target for GCC 14 (and removing it for GCC 15)
@ 2023-12-11 23:19 Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2023-12-11 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

nds32 support in Linux was removed last year:
https://www.phoronix.com/news/Andes-Tech-NDS32-Removal

The support for glibc never made it upstream as far as I can tell either.

What are others thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

* Re: Deprecating nds32-*-linux-* target for GCC 14 (and removing it for GCC 15)
@ 2023-12-11 23:31 ` Joel Sherrill
From: Joel Sherrill @ 2023-12-11 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 5:20 PM Andrew Pinski via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> nds32 support in Linux was removed last year:
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Andes-Tech-NDS32-Removal
>
> The support for glibc never made it upstream as far as I can tell either.
>
> What are others thoughts on this?

Looks like a solid argument to drop it.

With even MIPS Technologies moving toward RISC-V, you have to
wonder how many processor architectures are on the downhill slide
into the tar pit of extinction.

--joel

@ 2023-12-11 23:43 ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2023-12-11 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/11/23 16:19, Andrew Pinski via Gcc wrote:
> nds32 support in Linux was removed last year:
> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Andes-Tech-NDS32-Removal
>
> The support for glibc never made it upstream as far as I can tell either.
>
> What are others thoughts on this?
I believe the architecture is dead, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if it
got deprecated across the board.  While my tester includes nds32le-elf
and nds32be-elf, there's no gdbsim, so those targets don't provide much,
if any, additional coverage over targets in the tester.

Jeff

* Re: Deprecating nds32-*-linux-* target for GCC 14 (and removing it for GCC 15)
@ 2023-12-14  6:00   ` Chung-Ju Wu
From: Chung-Ju Wu @ 2023-12-14  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Greentime, shiva Chen, Kito Cheng, Kuan-Lin Chen, Wei-cheng Wang,
	Hsiangkai Wang, Yan-Ting Lin

On 2023/12/12 07:43 UTC+8, Jeff Law via Gcc wrote:

> On 12/11/23 16:19, Andrew Pinski via Gcc wrote:
>> nds32 support in Linux was removed last year:
>> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Andes-Tech-NDS32-Removal
>>
>> The support for glibc never made it upstream as far as I can tell either.
>>
>> What are others thoughts on this?
> I believe the architecture is dead, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if it got deprecated across the board.  While my tester includes nds32le-elf and nds32be-elf, there's no gdbsim, so those targets don't provide much, if any, additional coverage over targets in the tester.
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff & Andrew,

After a brief discussion with the previous maintainers of
the Linux nds32 port, it is reasonable to deprecate nds32-linux
for GCC 14 and remove it for GCC 15.

However, considering that there are still customers relying on
nds32le-elf and nds32be-elf for their embedded systems,
it would be great to keep nds32le-elf and nds32be-elf in the
GCC/binutils-gdb/newlib-cygwin repository.

Regards,
jasonwucj

* Re: Deprecating nds32-*-linux-* target for GCC 14 (and removing it for GCC 15)
@ 2023-12-14  6:25   ` Chung-Ju Wu
From: Chung-Ju Wu @ 2023-12-14  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kuan-Lin Chen, Yan-Ting Lin, Hsiangkai Wang, Wei-cheng Wang

On 2023/12/12 07:43 UTC+8, Jeff Law via Gcc wrote:

> On 12/11/23 16:19, Andrew Pinski via Gcc wrote:
>> nds32 support in Linux was removed last year:
>> https://www.phoronix.com/news/Andes-Tech-NDS32-Removal
>>
>> The support for glibc never made it upstream as far as I can tell either.
>>
>> What are others thoughts on this?
> I believe the architecture is dead, so I wouldn't lose any sleep if it got deprecated across the board.  While my tester includes nds32le-elf and nds32be-elf, there's no gdbsim, so those targets don't provide much, if any, additional coverage over targets in the tester.
>
> Jeff

Hi Jeff,

As for gdbsim/openocd, I remember that we did have nds32 contributions previously:
   - gdb: http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2013-07/msg00223.html
   - openocd: http://openocd.zylin.com/1259

I suppose they have recently been dropped from the current gdb/openocd repository
due to the lack of maintenance.  I will reach out to Andes members to inquire whether
the architecture is still considered to be available in gdb/openocd.

Regards,
jasonwucj

* Re: Deprecating nds32-*-linux-* target for GCC 14 (and removing it for GCC 15)
@ 2023-12-14 14:28     ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2023-12-14 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kuan-Lin Chen, Yan-Ting Lin, Hsiangkai Wang, Wei-cheng Wang

On 12/13/23 23:25, Chung-Ju Wu wrote:

> As for gdbsim/openocd, I remember that we did have nds32 contributions
> previously:
>    - gdb: http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2013-07/msg00223.html
>    - openocd: http://openocd.zylin.com/1259
>
> I suppose they have recently been dropped from the current
> gdb/openocd repository due to the lack of maintenance.  I will reach
> out to Andes members to inquire whether the architecture is still
> considered to be available in gdb/openocd.
I don't see evidence that the sim patch ever got reviewed.  Given it's
~10 years old, it'd probably need some work to be brought up to current
standards.  If someone wanted to tackle that, it would be great.

Basically I just wanted to note that as it stands right now, while nds32
is included in the tester's configurations, the lack of a simulator does
limit how much benefit we get from including nds32.

jeff