From: Alejandro Colomar <alx.manpages@gmail.com>
To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>,
	Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com>
Cc: "Martin Liška" <mliska@suse.cz>,
	gcc@gcc.gnu.org, "GNU C Library" <libc-alpha@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: Missing optimization: mempcpy(3) vs memcpy(3)
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 16:56:27 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Jonathan and Jakub,

On 12/12/22 15:53, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2022 at 02:48:35PM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

>>> I guess implementing a standard function by calling a non-standard one is fine.
>>> The implementation is free to do what it pleases, as long as it provides the
>>> expected interface.
>>
>> Even if the program provides a function called mempcpy?

Yes.  Quoting the glibc manual:

"The names of all library types, macros, variables and functions that come from
the ISO C standard are reserved unconditionally; your program may not redefine
these names."

And in case someone didn't know that mempcpy(3) was present in glibc, and could
try to argue that it's unnice of glibc to pretend to reserve a name not
specified by ISO C, the following applies:

"Names beginning with ‘str’, ‘mem’, or ‘wcs’ followed by a lowercase letter are
reserved for additional string and array functions. See String and Array Utilities."

<https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Reserved-Names.html>

ISO C23 will relax that reserve a little bit, but functions defined by libc are
always reserved, no matter what.

> And even does something completely different...

So, redefining mempcpy(3) is UB.  What happens then, only nasal demons know.

Cheers,

Alex

--
<http://www.alejandro-colomar.es/>