* Unjustified optimization due to restricted struct members?
@ 2023-11-30 11:05 Ties Klappe
From: Ties Klappe @ 2023-11-30 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

When reading section 6.7.3.1 of the C standard (quoted below) about
the *restrict
*type qualifier, the first section talks about *ordinary identifiers*.
These are defined in section 6.2.3, and exclude members of structures.

Let D be a declaration of an ordinary identifier that provides a means of
> designating an object P as a restrict-qualified pointer to type T.

I would assume that this means that in the code excerpt below the function
*h* cannot be optimized by substituting the load of *b.p *for *10*, as the
standard does not specify what it means for a struct member to be restrict
qualified. However, the code is still optimized by gcc (but not Clang), as
can be seen here: https://godbolt.org/z/hEnKKoaae

struct bar {
int* restrict p;
int* restrict q;
};

int h(struct bar b) {
*b.p = 10;
*b.q = 11;
return *b.p;
}

Was this a deliberate choice, or does it simply follow from how restrict is
supported in gcc (and could this be considered a bug w.r.t. the standard)?

* Re: Unjustified optimization due to restricted struct members?
@ 2023-11-30 12:12 ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2023-11-30 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ties Klappe; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 12:07 PM Ties Klappe via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> When reading section 6.7.3.1 of the C standard (quoted below) about
> the *restrict
> *type qualifier, the first section talks about *ordinary identifiers*.
> These are defined in section 6.2.3, and exclude members of structures.
>
> Let D be a declaration of an ordinary identifier that provides a means of
> > designating an object P as a restrict-qualified pointer to type T.
>

> I would assume that this means that in the code excerpt below the function
> *h* cannot be optimized by substituting the load of *b.p *for *10*, as the
> standard does not specify what it means for a struct member to be restrict
> qualified. However, the code is still optimized by gcc (but not Clang), as
> can be seen here: https://godbolt.org/z/hEnKKoaae
>
> struct bar {
> int* restrict p;
> int* restrict q;
> };
>
> int h(struct bar b) {
> *b.p = 10;
> *b.q = 11;
> return *b.p;
> }
>
> Was this a deliberate choice, or does it simply follow from how restrict is
> supported in gcc (and could this be considered a bug w.r.t. the standard)?

Hmm, this was a deliberate choice (it also works for global 'b'), I didn't think
the standard would exclude that.  Note GCCs C++ standard library makes
use of restrict qualified pointers as structure members for example.

Richard.

* Re: Unjustified optimization due to restricted struct members?
@ 2023-11-30 12:50   ` Ties Klappe
From: Ties Klappe @ 2023-11-30 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Biener; +Cc: gcc

Thank you Richard.

Similar to the struct example, I was also wondering about why the following
code does *not* get optimized (e.g. https://godbolt.org/z/9eGrjjK81):

int f(int* restrict a[restrict 2]) {
*(a[0]) = 10;
*(a[1]) = 11;
return *(a[0]);
}

Do you happen to know why a reload via a[0] is required? I would have
expected to see the same optimization as is performed for the struct
example.

Kind regards,
Ties

@ 2023-11-30 13:06     ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2023-11-30 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ties Klappe; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 30, 2023 at 1:50 PM Ties Klappe <tg.klappe@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Richard.
>
> Similar to the struct example, I was also wondering about why the following code does not get optimized (e.g. https://godbolt.org/z/9eGrjjK81):
>
> int f(int* restrict a[restrict 2]) {
> *(a[0]) = 10;
> *(a[1]) = 11;
> return *(a[0]);
> }
>
> Do you happen to know why a reload via a[0] is required? I would have expected to see the same optimization as is performed for the struct example.

It's not implemented.  I think there's even a bugreport about this,
basically restrict
gets only "one layer deep".

Richard.

@ 2023-11-30 17:16 ` Joseph Myers
From: Joseph Myers @ 2023-11-30 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ties Klappe; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 30 Nov 2023, Ties Klappe via Gcc wrote:

> When reading section 6.7.3.1 of the C standard (quoted below) about
> the *restrict
> *type qualifier, the first section talks about *ordinary identifiers*.
> These are defined in section 6.2.3, and exclude members of structures.
>
> Let D be a declaration of an ordinary identifier that provides a means of
> > designating an object P as a restrict-qualified pointer to type T.
>

> I would assume that this means that in the code excerpt below the function
> *h* cannot be optimized by substituting the load of *b.p *for *10*, as the
> standard does not specify what it means for a struct member to be restrict
> qualified. However, the code is still optimized by gcc (but not Clang), as
> can be seen here: https://godbolt.org/z/hEnKKoaae
>
> struct bar {
> int* restrict p;
> int* restrict q;
> };
>
> int h(struct bar b) {

In this code, 'b' is the ordinary identifier; "struct bar b" is the
declaration D.  The declaration does not itself need to have pointer type.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com