* MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-10-29 19:34 Kaveh R. GHAZI
       [not found] ` <20091029153734.F64985@shannon.csl.cornell.edu>
                   ` (7 more replies)
From: Kaveh R. GHAZI @ 2009-10-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc-patches

A prerelease tarball of the upcoming mpc-0.8 is available here:
http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-0.8-dev.tar.gz

This release is feature complete with respect to C99 and GCC's needs.
So I expect to make this version be the one made mandatory for the
gcc-4.5 release.  If there are any remaining bugs especially
portability problems to GCC's primary or secondary platforms, I'd like
to get those reported and fixed before this release is final.

Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
"make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

		Thanks,
		--Kaveh
--
Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
       [not found] ` <20091029153734.F64985@shannon.csl.cornell.edu>
@ 2009-10-30  3:31   ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-10-30  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Fang; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

From: "David Fang" <fang@csl.cornell.edu>

> On powerpc-apple-darwin8:
>
> gmp: 4.3.1
> mpfr: 2.4.1
>
> % gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8
> Configured with:
> /var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5370~2/src/configure --disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr
>  --mandir=/share/man --enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg][^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/
>  --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-slibdir=/usr/lib --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8
>  --host=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5370)
>
> CPU: dual G4, powerpc 7400
>
> ===================
> All 57 tests passed
> ===================

Thanks!

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
       [not found] ` <4AEA24F6.1020203@archlinux.org>
@ 2009-10-30  4:16   ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-10-30  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Allan McRae; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

From: "Allan McRae" <allan@archlinux.org>

> Nothing exotic:
> i686-pc-linux-gnu & x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
>
> Both:
> ===================
> All 57 tests passed
> ===================
>
> gcc-4.4.2
> mpfr-2.4.1
> gmp-4.3.1
>
> Also fine on i686-pc-linux-gnu with gcc-4.5-20091008
>
> Allan

Thanks!

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
       [not found] ` <20091029153734.F64985@shannon.csl.cornell.edu>
       [not found] ` <4AEA24F6.1020203@archlinux.org>
@ 2009-10-31  5:11 ` Ed Smith-Rowland
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Ed Smith-Rowland @ 2009-10-31  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
> A prerelease tarball of the upcoming mpc-0.8 is available here:
> http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-0.8-dev.tar.gz
>
> This release is feature complete with respect to C99 and GCC's needs.
> So I expect to make this version be the one made mandatory for the
> gcc-4.5 release.  If there are any remaining bugs especially
> portability problems to GCC's primary or secondary platforms, I'd like
> to get those reported and fixed before this release is final.
>
> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.
>
> 		Thanks,
> 		--Kaveh
> --
> Kaveh R. Ghazi			ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu

I'm on MacOSX 10.3

MacOSX:~/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev ed$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)

The -Werror kills it.
This warning is familiar.

MacOSX:~/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev ed$ make
make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev'
Making all in src
make[2]: Entering directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I..    -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wall -Werror -O2 -pedantic -mpowerpc
-no-cpp-precomp -force_cpusubtype_ALL -mcpu=7450 -MT abs.lo -MD -MP -MF
.deps/abs.Tpo -c -o abs.lo abs.c
libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -pedantic -Wno-long-long
-Wall -Werror -O2 -pedantic -mpowerpc -no-cpp-precomp
-force_cpusubtype_ALL -mcpu=7450 -MT abs.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/abs.Tpo -c
abs.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/abs.o
In file included from mpc-impl.h:33,
                 from abs.c:22:
mpc.h:148: warning: use of `long double' type; its size may change in a
future release
mpc.h:148: warning: (Long double usage is reported only once for each file.
mpc.h:148: warning: To disable this warning, use -Wno-long-double.)
make[2]: *** [abs.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev'
make: *** [all] Error 2

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-10-31  6:31   ` Ed Smith-Rowland
From: Ed Smith-Rowland @ 2009-10-31  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

Ed Smith-Rowland wrote:
> Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
>> A prerelease tarball of the upcoming mpc-0.8 is available here:
>> http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-0.8-dev.tar.gz
>>
>> This release is feature complete with respect to C99 and GCC's needs.
>> So I expect to make this version be the one made mandatory for the
>> gcc-4.5 release.  If there are any remaining bugs especially
>> portability problems to GCC's primary or secondary platforms, I'd like
>> to get those reported and fixed before this release is final.
>>
>> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
>> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
>> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
>> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
>> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.
>>
>>         Thanks,
>>         --Kaveh
>> --
>> Kaveh R. Ghazi            ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu
>>

> I'm on MacOSX 10.3
>
> MacOSX:~/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev ed$ gcc -v
> Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)
>
> The -Werror kills it.
> This warning is familiar.
>
> MacOSX:~/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev ed$ make
> make  all-recursive
> make[1]: Entering directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev'
> Making all in src
> make[2]: Entering directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev/src'
> /bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=compile gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
> -I..    -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wall -Werror -O2 -pedantic -mpowerpc
> -no-cpp-precomp -force_cpusubtype_ALL -mcpu=7450 -MT abs.lo -MD -MP
> -MF .deps/abs.Tpo -c -o abs.lo abs.c
> libtool: compile:  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -pedantic
> -Wno-long-long -Wall -Werror -O2 -pedantic -mpowerpc -no-cpp-precomp
> -force_cpusubtype_ALL -mcpu=7450 -MT abs.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/abs.Tpo
> -c abs.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/abs.o
> In file included from mpc-impl.h:33,
>                 from abs.c:22:
> mpc.h:148: warning: use of `long double' type; its size may change in
> a future release
> mpc.h:148: warning: (Long double usage is reported only once for each
> file.
> mpc.h:148: warning: To disable this warning, use -Wno-long-double.)
> make[2]: *** [abs.lo] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev/src'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/Users/ed/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

Once I deleted -Werror out of the makefiles...

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

I don't know how you would tweak the configure to kill this -Werror for
mac but that would do it.

Ed

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-10-31 18:10 ` Dave Korn
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Korn @ 2009-10-31 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc

Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:

> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

i686-pc-cygwin

gcc version 4.3.4 20090804 (release) 1 (GCC)

Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version
gmp                  4.3.1-3
mpfr                 2.4.1-4

> You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

  I didn't, I'm afraid, sorry.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-10-31 21:36     ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-10-31 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Smith-Rowland; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

From: "Ed Smith-Rowland" <3dw4rd@verizon.net>

>> I'm on MacOSX 10.3
>>
>> MacOSX:~/Tarballs/mpc-0.8-dev ed$ gcc -v
>> Reading specs from /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/specs
>> Thread model: posix
>> gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1671)
>>
>> The -Werror kills it.
> Once I deleted -Werror out of the makefiles...
>
> ===================
> All 57 tests passed
> ===================
>
> I don't know how you would tweak the configure to kill this -Werror for
> mac but that would do it.

The -Werror flag will not be used in the final release, so it should work
for you.

Thanks for testing.

        --Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01  0:17 ` John David Anglin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: John David Anglin @ 2009-11-01  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

All 57 tests passed on hppa2.0w-hp-hpux11.11 and hppa64-hp-hpux11.11.

Dave
--
J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6602)

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is  mandatory!)
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01 17:54 ` Gerald Pfeifer
From: Gerald Pfeifer @ 2009-11-01 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Kaveh R. GHAZI wrote:
> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

i386-unknown-freebsd7.2
gcc version 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]
mpfr-2.4.1_1

(FWIW, on FreeBSD I have made MPC a hard requirement for the GCC 4.5
port already.  I assume the next steps on your side are waiting for
the official releaes of MPC 0.8 and then making that a requirement for
our configure scripts?)

Gerald

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is  mandatory!)
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-01 21:57 ` Kaz Kojima
From: Kaz Kojima @ 2009-11-01 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ghazi; +Cc: gcc, gcc-patches

"Kaveh R. GHAZI" <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

sh4-unknown-linux-gnu
gcc 4.2.4
gmp 4.2.2
mpfr 2.3.2

Regards,
	kaz

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-02  3:06   ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-11-02  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gerald Pfeifer; +Cc: gcc

From: "Gerald Pfeifer" <gerald@pfeifer.com>

> ===================
> All 57 tests passed
> ===================
>
> i386-unknown-freebsd7.2
> gcc version 4.2.1 20070719  [FreeBSD]
> mpfr-2.4.1_1
>
> (FWIW, on FreeBSD I have made MPC a hard requirement for the GCC 4.5
> port already.  I assume the next steps on your side are waiting for
> the official releaes of MPC 0.8 and then making that a requirement for
> our configure scripts?)

Yes.  There remains a few cleanups (see PR40302), but the heavy lifting is
all done.

        --Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2009-11-08  2:01 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2009-11-08  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Kaveh R. GHAZI <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
> A prerelease tarball of the upcoming mpc-0.8 is available here:
> http://www.multiprecision.org/mpc/download/mpc-0.8-dev.tar.gz
>
> This release is feature complete with respect to C99 and GCC's needs.
> So I expect to make this version be the one made mandatory for the
> gcc-4.5 release.  If there are any remaining bugs especially
> portability problems to GCC's primary or secondary platforms, I'd like
> to get those reported and fixed before this release is final.
>
> Please test this MPC package and report back the results of running
> "make check" along with your target triplet, the compiler version you
> used, and the versions of gmp/mpfr used to compile it.  You do not
> necessarily need to bootstrap mainline GCC with this MPC, but if you
> have the spare time and cycles it would be nice too.

MPC-0.8 build fails on AIX due to libtool.  The changes to libtool
between MPC-0.7 and MPC-0.8 rely on Bash-specific features.  Manually
editing libtool to use Bash allowed the build to succeed.

David

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-08  6:22   ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-11-08  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: gcc

> From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
>
> MPC-0.8 build fails on AIX due to libtool.  The changes to libtool
> between MPC-0.7 and MPC-0.8 rely on Bash-specific features.  Manually
> editing libtool to use Bash allowed the build to succeed.

Hi David,

Can you please be more specific about this problem?  I've seen several build
reports on non-gnu systems that don't use bash as the default shell,
including my own solaris2.9 box.  None of them fail on bash-isms.  So I'm
curious what the actual failure is on AIX.

The more recent libtool was suggested to avoid some issues on darwin, so I
prefer not to opt for a downgrade if at all possible.  If there is some
non-portable shell construct, we should file a bug report with the libtool
maintainers.  Another option in the mean time is that if ksh or some other
shell supplied by default works on AIX we could recommend using that via
CONFIG_SHELL.

What do you suggest as possible ways forward?

        Thanks,
        --Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-08 21:29     ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2009-11-08 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Kaveh R. Ghazi <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>> From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
>>
>> MPC-0.8 build fails on AIX due to libtool.  The changes to libtool
>> between MPC-0.7 and MPC-0.8 rely on Bash-specific features.  Manually
>> editing libtool to use Bash allowed the build to succeed.
>
> Hi David,
>
> Can you please be more specific about this problem?  I've seen several build
> reports on non-gnu systems that don't use bash as the default shell,
> including my own solaris2.9 box.  None of them fail on bash-isms.  So I'm
> curious what the actual failure is on AIX.
>
> The more recent libtool was suggested to avoid some issues on darwin, so I
> prefer not to opt for a downgrade if at all possible.  If there is some
> non-portable shell construct, we should file a bug report with the libtool
> maintainers.  Another option in the mean time is that if ksh or some other
> shell supplied by default works on AIX we could recommend using that via
> CONFIG_SHELL.

AIX Shell is KSH.

The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
shell used by configure.

After my intervention:

$ make check

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

Thanks, David

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-09  1:14       ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2009-11-09  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 11/08/2009 10:29 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:
> The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
> shell used by configure.

What version of libtool is used by mpc?  Libtool HEAD could fix this bug.

Paolo

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-09  5:33       ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-11-09  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: gcc

From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>

>AIX Shell is KSH.
>
>The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
>shell used by configure.

Hm, the mpc configure script actually has a check for shell +=, and on my
solaris box it correctly detects that it doesn't work.

        checking whether the shell understands "+="... no

Presumably on solaris then += isn't used.  I wonder what does configure say
here for AIX and why does it attempt to use it?

>After my intervention:
>
>$ make check
>
>===================
>All 57 tests passed
>===================

Thanks for the report.  Do you consider this issue closed or would you like
to pursue it further?

        --Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is    mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-09  5:38         ` Kaveh R. GHAZI
From: Kaveh R. GHAZI @ 2009-11-09  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 11/08/2009 10:29 PM, David Edelsohn wrote:
> > The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
> > shell used by configure.
>
> What version of libtool is used by mpc?  Libtool HEAD could fix this bug.
> Paolo

(GNU libtool) 2.2.6 Debian-2.2.6a-4

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-09  9:21         ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2009-11-09  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

On 11/09/2009 06:33 AM, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
>
>> AIX Shell is KSH.
>>
>> The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
>> shell used by configure.
>
> Hm, the mpc configure script actually has a check for shell +=, and on
> my solaris box it correctly detects that it doesn't work.
>
> checking whether the shell understands "+="... no
>
> Presumably on solaris then += isn't used. I wonder what does configure
> say here for AIX and why does it attempt to use it?

As David said, the problem is using the same shell in configure and
libtool.  I think I fixed this upstream (just as a consequence of cleanups).

Paolo

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-10  6:16           ` Kaveh R. GHAZI
From: Kaveh R. GHAZI @ 2009-11-10  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: gcc, dje.gcc

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> On 11/09/2009 06:33 AM, Kaveh R. Ghazi wrote:
> > From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>
> >
> >> AIX Shell is KSH.
> >>
> >> The problem is shell append += and libtool not running with the same
> >> shell used by configure.
> >
> > Hm, the mpc configure script actually has a check for shell +=, and on
> > my solaris box it correctly detects that it doesn't work.
> >
> > checking whether the shell understands "+="... no
> >
> > Presumably on solaris then += isn't used. I wonder what does configure
> > say here for AIX and why does it attempt to use it?
>
> As David said, the problem is using the same shell in configure and
> libtool.  I think I fixed this upstream (just as a consequence of cleanups).
> Paolo

So IIUC, David is setting SHELL=/path/to/bash first, then running
configure, then getting an error.  This happens because configure tests
that bash understands +=, but libtool is run with (presumably) /bin/sh and
doesn't understand += right?

If so, then if one doesn't set SHELL (or CONFIG_SHELL?) on AIX, everything
should work fine building MPC, right?

		--Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-10 16:13             ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2009-11-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. GHAZI; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, gcc

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Kaveh R. GHAZI <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> So IIUC, David is setting SHELL=/path/to/bash first, then running
> configure, then getting an error.  This happens because configure tests
> that bash understands +=, but libtool is run with (presumably) /bin/sh and
> doesn't understand += right?
>
> If so, then if one doesn't set SHELL (or CONFIG_SHELL?) on AIX, everything
> should work fine building MPC, right?

Basically, but using /bin/sh on AIX causes other problems.

David

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-10 16:50               ` Kaveh R. Ghazi
From: Kaveh R. Ghazi @ 2009-11-10 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, gcc

From: "David Edelsohn" <dje.gcc@gmail.com>

>On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Kaveh R. GHAZI <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu>
>wrote:
>
>> So IIUC, David is setting SHELL=/path/to/bash first, then running
>> configure, then getting an error. This happens because configure tests
>> that bash understands +=, but libtool is run with (presumably) /bin/sh
>> and
>> doesn't understand += right?
>>
>> If so, then if one doesn't set SHELL (or CONFIG_SHELL?) on AIX,
>> everything
>> should work fine building MPC, right?
>
>Basically, but using /bin/sh on AIX causes other problems.
>David

Ok great, since Paolo fixed the libtool problem upstream I'll consider this
issue closed.

Could you please provide the testing details so we can note it in the MPC
platforms page?  I.e. target triplet plus gcc/gmp/mpfr versions.  Or just
confirm they are the same as the report you gave for the previous MPC
release noted here:

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2009-09/msg00203.html

        Thanks,
        --Kaveh

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-11  0:22                 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2009-11-11  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kaveh R. Ghazi; +Cc: gcc

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:50 AM, Kaveh R. Ghazi <ghazi@caip.rutgers.edu> wrote:

> Could you please provide the testing details so we can note it in the MPC
> platforms page?  I.e. target triplet plus gcc/gmp/mpfr versions.  Or just
> confirm they are the same as the report you gave for the previous MPC
> release noted here:

powerpc-ibm-aix5.3.0.0
gcc-4.3.4
gmp-4.3.1
mpfr-2.4.1
mpc-0.8

===================
All 57 tests passed
===================

David

* Re: MPC 0.8 prerelease tarball (last release before MPC is   mandatory!)
@ 2009-11-12 17:02 ` Richard Guenther
From: Richard Guenther @ 2009-11-12 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Howarth; +Cc: gcc

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> wrote:
>   I am a tad confused by this thread. Is MPC going to be mandatory
> along side of gmp/mpfr for the gcc 4.5 release or is this further
> out into the future than that? Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

It's going to be mandatory.

Richard.

@ 2009-11-12 16:59 Jack Howarth