* GDC environment variable
@ 2022-12-07  6:12 Dave Blanchard
From: Dave Blanchard @ 2022-12-07  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Is there an environment variable like 'CC' or 'CXX', which specifies the name of the D compiler to use, which I might need to set when bootstrapping GCC? Thanks.

--
Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net>

* Re: GDC environment variable
@ 2022-12-07  6:35 ` Ankur Saini
From: Ankur Saini @ 2022-12-07  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Blanchard; +Cc: gcc

I do see make using ‘GDC' while building gcc compiler, maybe try changing that ?

- Ankur

@ 2022-12-07 11:42 ` lists
From: lists @ 2022-12-07 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dave, gcc

I expect it to be `DC`.

From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2022-12-07 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankur Saini, Dave Blanchard; +Cc: gcc, ibuclaw

Hi!

On 2022-12-07T12:05:18+0530, Ankur Saini via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
>> On 07-Dec-2022, at 11:42 AM, Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net> wrote:
>>
>> Is there an environment variable like 'CC' or 'CXX', which specifies the name of the D compiler to use, which I might need to set when bootstrapping GCC? Thanks.
>
> I do see make using ‘GDC' while building gcc compiler, maybe try changing that ?

Indeed 'GDC' is it.  See my
<https://inbox.sourceware.org/gcc-patches/87mtlk8m1m.fsf@euler.schwinge.homeip.net>
for example:

> [...] I built myself a stock GCC 9.1 with '--enable-languages=d', and via
> '[...]/configure [...] CC=gcc-4.8 CXX=g++-4.8 GDC=[GCC 9.1]/bin/gdc [...]'
> I'm able to successfully bootstrap GCC, including GCC/D, in a mixed
> GCC 4.8/9.1 configuration, with subsequent good-looking 'make check-d'
> results.  Per my superficial review of the build log file, the
> '[GCC 9.1]/bin/gdc' indeed is only used during stage 1 build, as it
> should be.  [...]

Re GCC 9.1, however beware of <https://gcc.gnu.org/PR104749>
"stage1 d21 fails to link with GDC 9.1".

Grüße
 Thomas
Siemens Electronic Design Automation GmbH; Anschrift: Arnulfstraße 201, 80634 München; Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung; Geschäftsführer: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thürauf; Sitz der Gesellschaft: München; Registergericht München, HRB 106955