* --enable-languages=c --enable-build-with-cxx
@ 2009-08-31 19:59 Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2009-08-31 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Currently, --enable-languages=c --enable-build-with-cxx fails because
neither the C++ compiler nor libstdc++-v3 are built in Stage 1, but in
Stage 2, CXX is set to .../prev-gcc/g++ and other variables are set
accordingly.  Is this combination supposed to work?

If yes, is it supposed to only build the C++ compiler and associated
library in Stage 1 but not in later stages?

If no (to the first question), then shouldn't configure fail early?

(This is related to PR bootstrap/40950, but only in that it causes a
similarly-looking failure, AFAICS.)

Thanks,
Ralf

* Re: --enable-languages=c --enable-build-with-cxx
@ 2009-08-31 20:26 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2009-08-31 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Wildenhues; +Cc: gcc

Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> writes:

> Currently, --enable-languages=c --enable-build-with-cxx fails because
> neither the C++ compiler nor libstdc++-v3 are built in Stage 1, but in
> Stage 2, CXX is set to .../prev-gcc/g++ and other variables are set
> accordingly.  Is this combination supposed to work?

It would be nice if it worked.  It's kind of an odd thing to do, though,
so it's OK if it fails.

> If yes, is it supposed to only build the C++ compiler and associated
> library in Stage 1 but not in later stages?

It can only work if it builds the C++ compiler in every stage except the
final one.

> If no (to the first question), then shouldn't configure fail early?

Yes, I think it should either work or fail early.

Ian