* Tags not allowed in user repository - Mildly urgent
@ 2023-05-10  8:47 Ondřej Kubánek
From: Ondřej Kubánek @ 2023-05-10  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I have tried to push a tag to my user space /tags/ ref in the GCC repo. The
tag is annotated but the push was rejected. Here is the command

git push origin master:refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis Thesis

and here is the response

Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
remote: *** Lightweight tags ('kubaneko/tags/Thesis' in namespace
'refs/users') are not allowed in this repository.
remote: *** Use 'git tag [ -a | -s ]' for tags you want to propagate.
remote: error: hook declined to update refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
To git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
 ! [remote rejected]         master -> refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
(hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git'

Is this expected behaviour? Do I need a gpg key to sign the tag?

Thank you for the help

Ondřej Kubánek

* Re: Tags not allowed in user repository - Mildly urgent
@ 2023-05-10  9:04 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2023-05-10  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondřej Kubánek via Gcc; +Cc: Ondřej Kubánek

On Mai 10 2023, Ondřej Kubánek via Gcc wrote:

>  ! [remote rejected]         master -> refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
> (hook declined)

As you can see here, you are not pushing the tag Thesis, but the local
branch master.

If you want to push the local tag Thesis to a particular place on the
remote, use Thesis:refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis as the refspec.

--
Andreas Schwab, SUSE Labs, schwab@suse.de
GPG Key fingerprint = 0196 BAD8 1CE9 1970 F4BE  1748 E4D4 88E3 0EEA B9D7

* Re: Tags not allowed in user repository - Mildly urgent
@ 2023-05-10 11:52 ` Sam James
From: Sam James @ 2023-05-10 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondřej Kubánek; +Cc: gcc

Ondřej Kubánek via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have tried to push a tag to my user space /tags/ ref in the GCC repo. The
> tag is annotated but the push was rejected. Here is the command
>
> git push origin master:refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis Thesis
>
> and here is the response
>
> Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
> remote: *** Lightweight tags ('kubaneko/tags/Thesis' in namespace
> 'refs/users') are not allowed in this repository.
> remote: *** Use 'git tag [ -a | -s ]' for tags you want to propagate.
> remote: error: hook declined to update refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
> To git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
>  ! [remote rejected]         master -> refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
> (hook declined)
> error: failed to push some refs to 'git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git'
>
> Is this expected behaviour? Do I need a gpg key to sign the tag?

Note that you probably want to use a 'namespaced' tag (i.e. something
with a prefix). The version you pushed is simply called 'Thesis' which
is likely to be confusing to people.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Tags not allowed in user repository - Mildly urgent
@ 2023-05-10 12:28   ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2023-05-10 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam James via Gcc; +Cc: Ondřej Kubánek, Sam James

On Mai 10 2023, Sam James via Gcc wrote:

> Ondřej Kubánek via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have tried to push a tag to my user space /tags/ ref in the GCC repo. The
>> tag is annotated but the push was rejected. Here is the command
>>
>> git push origin master:refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis Thesis
>>
>> and here is the response
>>
>> Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
>> remote: *** Lightweight tags ('kubaneko/tags/Thesis' in namespace
>> 'refs/users') are not allowed in this repository.
>> remote: *** Use 'git tag [ -a | -s ]' for tags you want to propagate.
>> remote: error: hook declined to update refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
>> To git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
>>  ! [remote rejected]         master -> refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
>> (hook declined)
>> error: failed to push some refs to 'git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git'
>>
>> Is this expected behaviour? Do I need a gpg key to sign the tag?
>
> Note that you probably want to use a 'namespaced' tag (i.e. something
> with a prefix). The version you pushed is simply called 'Thesis' which
> is likely to be confusing to people.

It already uses a prefix (users/kubaneko) which is not fetched by
default.

--

@ 2023-05-10 12:32     ` Sam James
From: Sam James @ 2023-05-10 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Sam James via Gcc, Ondřej Kubánek

Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

> On Mai 10 2023, Sam James via Gcc wrote:
>
>> Ondřej Kubánek via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have tried to push a tag to my user space /tags/ ref in the GCC repo. The
>>> tag is annotated but the push was rejected. Here is the command
>>>
>>> git push origin master:refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis Thesis
>>>
>>> and here is the response
>>>
>>> Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
>>> remote: *** Lightweight tags ('kubaneko/tags/Thesis' in namespace
>>> 'refs/users') are not allowed in this repository.
>>> remote: *** Use 'git tag [ -a | -s ]' for tags you want to propagate.
>>> remote: error: hook declined to update refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
>>> To git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
>>>  ! [remote rejected]         master -> refs/users/kubaneko/tags/Thesis
>>> (hook declined)
>>> error: failed to push some refs to 'git+ssh://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git'
>>>
>>> Is this expected behaviour? Do I need a gpg key to sign the tag?
>>
>> Note that you probably want to use a 'namespaced' tag (i.e. something
>> with a prefix). The version you pushed is simply called 'Thesis' which
>> is likely to be confusing to people.
>
> It already uses a prefix (users/kubaneko) which is not fetched by
> default.

Ah, thanks, the UI in the tags section at https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=summary
confused me. But it's likely to confuse others as well.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Tags not allowed in user repository - Mildly urgent
@ 2023-05-10 12:44       ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2023-05-10 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sam James; +Cc: Sam James via Gcc, Ondřej Kubánek

On Mai 10 2023, Sam James wrote:

> Andreas Schwab <schwab@suse.de> writes:

>>> Note that you probably want to use a 'namespaced' tag (i.e. something
>>> with a prefix). The version you pushed is simply called 'Thesis' which
>>> is likely to be confusing to people.
>>
>> It already uses a prefix (users/kubaneko) which is not fetched by
>> default.
>
> Ah, thanks, the UI in the tags section at https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=summary
> confused me. But it's likely to confuse others as well.

This is due to the second refspec, which just pushes to the global tags
namespace.