* Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 18:55 Mohamed Atef
From: Mohamed Atef @ 2022-02-06 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello everyone,
        I built gcc from the repo and it took around 2 hours but I am
wondering should I wait two hours after every modification?
Is there any way to recompile faster.
That's very important as we will add some files and tests  for OMPD.
Thanks

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:05 ` Mir Immad
From: Mir Immad @ 2022-02-06 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef; +Cc: gcc

Make sure to use all the cores available.

make -j N

e.g; make -j 8

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:26 AM Mohamed Atef via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>         I built gcc from the repo and it took around 2 hours but I am
> wondering should I wait two hours after every modification?
> Is there any way to recompile faster.
> That's very important as we will add some files and tests  for OMPD.
> Thanks

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:07   ` Mohamed Atef
From: Mohamed Atef @ 2022-02-06 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mir Immad; +Cc: gcc

Hello,
      Only modified files will be recompiled, won't it?

في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٥ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:

> Make sure to use all the cores available.
>
> make -j N
>
> e.g; make -j 8
>

> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:26 AM Mohamed Atef via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>         I built gcc from the repo and it took around 2 hours but I am
>> wondering should I wait two hours after every modification?
>> Is there any way to recompile faster.
>> That's very important as we will add some files and tests  for OMPD.
>> Thanks

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:08     ` Mir Immad
From: Mir Immad @ 2022-02-06 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef; +Cc: gcc

Yes, that is right.

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:38 AM Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>       Only modified files will be recompiled, won't it?
>

> في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٥ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:
>
>> Make sure to use all the cores available.
>>
>> make -j N
>>
>> e.g; make -j 8
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:26 AM Mohamed Atef via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>         I built gcc from the repo and it took around 2 hours but I am
>>> wondering should I wait two hours after every modification?
>>> Is there any way to recompile faster.
>>> That's very important as we will add some files and tests  for OMPD.
>>> Thanks

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:13       ` Mohamed Atef
From: Mohamed Atef @ 2022-02-06 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mir Immad; +Cc: gcc

After i built it
I tried make - j 8 and it's recompiling now i thought i will have messege
like
Every thing is up to date or there are no change done
But it actually started to compile again

في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٨ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:

> Yes, that is right.
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:38 AM Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>       Only modified files will be recompiled, won't it?
>>

>> في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٥ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:
>>
>>> Make sure to use all the cores available.
>>>
>>> make -j N
>>>
>>> e.g; make -j 8

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:18         ` Mir Immad
From: Mir Immad @ 2022-02-06 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef; +Cc: gcc

The build system probably first tries to make sure if everything is in
place and if there were any changes and re-compiles the new/changed files.

How much time does it take when you try to rebuild?

On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:43 AM Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
wrote:

> After i built it
> I tried make - j 8 and it's recompiling now i thought i will have messege
> like
> Every thing is up to date or there are no change done
> But it actually started to compile again
>

> في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٨ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:
>
>> Yes, that is right.
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:38 AM Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>       Only modified files will be recompiled, won't it?
>>>

>>> في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٥ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 19:28           ` Mohamed Atef
From: Mohamed Atef @ 2022-02-06 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mir Immad; +Cc: gcc

45 mins and i am waiting

في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:١٨ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:

> The build system probably first tries to make sure if everything is in
> place and if there were any changes and re-compiles the new/changed files.
>
> How much time does it take when you try to rebuild?
>
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2022, 12:43 AM Mohamed Atef <mohamedatef1698@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> After i built it
>> I tried make - j 8 and it's recompiling now i thought i will have messege
>> like
>> Every thing is up to date or there are no change done
>> But it actually started to compile again
>>

>> في الأحد، ٦ فبراير، ٢٠٢٢ ٩:٠٨ م Mir Immad <mirimnan017@gmail.com> كتب:
>>
>>> Yes, that is right.

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-06 21:22 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2022-02-06 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

On Sun, Feb 06 2022, Mohamed Atef via Gcc wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>         I built gcc from the repo and it took around 2 hours but I am
> wondering should I wait two hours after every modification?
> Is there any way to recompile faster.
> That's very important as we will add some files and tests  for OMPD.

Of course it depends on the hardware that you use but generally no, it
should not take hours, certainly not to recompile after simple
modifications.

Above all, at configure time:

1) Make sure that you disable bootstrap by passing --disable-bootstrap

   If you make any modifications to the compiler, please make sure you
   test them with bootstrap enabled before you submit them upstream,
   though.

2) If you use x86_64, you can speed up compilation by disabling building
   of 32-bit libraries by using --disable-multilib.

3) Only select languages that you need.  For example, if you just need
   C, C++ and Fortran, use: --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran

   Again, the final test should cover every language you might have
   affected, but for OMPT the above could suffice.

And of course, pass an appropriate -j option to make.

This should help to significantly reduce build times for you.

Martin

* Re: Compiling GCC source
@ 2022-02-07  9:20         ` Richard Biener
From: Richard Biener @ 2022-02-07  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed Atef; +Cc: Mir Immad, GCC Development

On Sun, Feb 6, 2022 at 8:14 PM Mohamed Atef via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> After i built it
> I tried make - j 8 and it's recompiling now i thought i will have messege
> like
> Every thing is up to date or there are no change done
> But it actually started to compile again

If you modify parts of gcc/ only then make sure you run make only
from within the gcc/ subdirectory of the build tree.  Also make sure
you really configured with --disable-bootstrap

Using 'make cc1' inside gcc/ instead of 'make' can also speed up things
considerably if you are testing the C frontend (or cc1plus for C++, etc.).