* [GSoC 2023] Rust front-end: Improving User Errors
@ 2023-03-20 19:55 Panagiotis Foliadis
From: Panagiotis Foliadis @ 2023-03-20 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Greetings,

My name is Panagiotis Foliadis, Ι'm 26 years old and I am from Athens, Greece.

I'm interesting in the Rust frοnt-end project and especially at Improving user errors. I'm a self taught
software developer with solid knowledge about Rust, and also Ι'm doing my internship that mainly uses C. I'm really
interested in the low level side of programming and especially compilers. I have already built gcc from source and
did some studying on the documentation to acquire some basic knowledge about the compiler.

I'd like some guidance from the mentors prior to making a proposal, if there is any to give.

* Re: [GSoC 2023] Rust front-end: Improving User Errors
@ 2023-03-21 21:22 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-21 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Panagiotis Foliadis; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

 We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.

On Mon, Mar 20 2023, Panagiotis Foliadis via Gcc wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> My name is Panagiotis Foliadis, Ι'm 26 years old and I am from Athens, Greece.
>
> I'm interesting in the Rust frοnt-end project and especially at Improving user errors. I'm a self taught
> software developer with solid knowledge about Rust, and also Ι'm doing my internship that mainly uses C. I'm really
> interested in the low level side of programming and especially compilers. I have already built gcc from source and
> did some studying on the documentation to acquire some basic knowledge about the compiler.

Please note that Rust-GCC projects are a bit special in the sense that
they are often discussed primarily on Zulip of the gcc-rust team:

https://gcc-rust.zulipchat.com/

So you may want to reach out to them there as well.

> I'd like some guidance from the mentors prior to making a proposal, if there is any to give.

I assume you have already read through https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode
The page has guidelines on what we expect to find a proposal.  Basically
you need to figure out what the project would entail and write it down,
with a little bit of detail and milestones.

Feel free to ask about any specifics either here on the mailing list or
on the Zulip linked above.

Good luck!

Martin