From: Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz>
To: Kristiyan Stoimenov <kristoimenov@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: GSoC: Interest in taking the `-ftime-trace` project
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2023 14:55:43 +0100	[thread overview]

Hello Kristiyan,

sorry for a late reply, I'm struggling with email recently.

On Sun, Mar 12 2023, Kristiyan Stoimenov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks very much for your advice. They were very helpful to me.
>
> I have written a draft about the application and I would like to share it
> with you in order to get any ideas for improving it.

I assume the proposal is for a 175 hour (medium-sized) project?

I would really like to see an expected time-line of the project.  It is
expected that it will change substantially, but I want to know that
applicants understand what mile-stones there are in their project and
that they have a rough idea what the first steps are going to be.

Applicants which cannot plan much more for their first week beyond
"familiarizing with the project" often turn up not to have the technical
skills to make much progress, let alone successfully complete a project.

I understand that means that I am asking you to do a chunk of what you
expect to be the most difficult bit of work - figuring GCC out - now,
but unfortunately there is no way around it.  I hope the existing
plug-in would help you and definitely feel free to keep asking any
questions you may have about GCC.

Sorry if the above sounds harsh, I definitely do not want to put you
off, but it is important.  GSoC application selection can be competitive
and for many reasons we want to be 100% sure that we task our mentors
only with guiding capable students.

Good luck!

Martin