* GSoC Project - Bypass Assembler for LTO Object Files
@ 2023-03-28 17:15 Hathik H
From: Hathik H @ 2023-03-28 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Dear Jan Hubicka,

My name is Hathik , and I'm a student . I'm writing to express my interest
in the GCC LTO , and to ask for your guidance as I prepare my application.

I have some experience in C/C++ programming and a strong interest in
low-level systems programming, and I believe that this project aligns well
with my interests and skills. I'm excited about the opportunity to work on
this project and contribute to the GCC community.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with some guidance, and any
suggestions or resources that you think would be helpful for me to review.
Additionally, if you have any specific requirements or preferences for the
project, please let me know.

I actually have a strong interest in low levels of the systems.I Am eager
to work with you.I want to learn something from this project.I kindly
request you to teach me something.

Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing
from you.

Best regards,

HATHIK

* Re: GSoC Project - Bypass Assembler for LTO Object Files
@ 2023-03-29 16:55 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hathik H; +Cc: gcc, Jan Hubicka

Hello,

we are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.

On Tue, Mar 28 2023, Hathik H via Gcc wrote:
> Dear Jan Hubicka,
>
> My name is Hathik , and I'm a student . I'm writing to express my interest
> in the GCC LTO , and to ask for your guidance as I prepare my application.
>
> I have some experience in C/C++ programming and a strong interest in
> low-level systems programming, and I believe that this project aligns well
> with my interests and skills. I'm excited about the opportunity to work on
> this project and contribute to the GCC community.

This project has already been discussed on the mailing list, see for
example https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html

While a few people have expressed interest in the project, I don't think
we have seen a developed proposal yet, so don't let the fact that we
discussed it with others discourage you.

> I would be grateful if you could provide me with some guidance, and any
> suggestions or resources that you think would be helpful for me to review.
> Additionally, if you have any specific requirements or preferences for the
> project, please let me know.

The specific understanding of the project is understanding the ELF file
format (mach/coff can come later).  The general ones, i.e. good command
of C/C++, ability to navigate large source-code and understanding of
basic compiling concepts such as Intermediate Representation (IR), often
also called Intermediate Language (IL).

Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the idea page
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and make sure you
are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it generate dumps,
LTO object files, and step through some function during compilation.

> I actually have a strong interest in low levels of the systems.I Am eager
> to work with you.I want to learn something from this project.I kindly
> request you to teach me something.
>
> Thank you for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing
> from you.

We'll be happy to help you further with any specific GCC development
issues you may encounter after reading through and trying the above.

Good luck!

Martin Jambor