* GSoC 2023
@ 2023-03-19  6:01 ANKESH PANDEY .
From: ANKESH PANDEY . @ 2023-03-19  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello,

I am Ankesh Pandey, a 3rd year Computer Science Undergraduate.

I am interested in contributing for the following projects:

   1.

   Unicode support: Our Lexer and AST do not support Unicode strings and
   identifiers, which we need to be a Rust compiler. The project will require
   a student to work mostly in the Lexer and AST but the changes here will
   ripple all the way through our HIR and code-generation passes. For example,
   in implementing Unicode support, it will make sense to ensure we improve
   location info, so instead of simply passing around Unicode strings in the
   IR's we should create a unique string data structure which also contains
   location info to improve our error diagnostics and debug
information. *Difficulty:
   Hard Size: 350 hours (large) Mentors: Arthur and/or Philip*
   2.

   Improving user errors: We recently merged code enabling the Rust
   frontend to emit error codes similarly to rustc. We'd like for gccrs to be
   able to emit the same errors codes as rustc, in order to help bridge the
   gap between our two testsuites and enable us to eventually run the rustc
   one. The student will have to research rustc error codes, their various
   guarantees, and emit them throughout the frontend code. We would also like
   the code responsible for emitting errors to get more fleshed out and allow
   more functionality. Finally, this will also be a good project to start
   looking at a better user experience for gccrs: emitting more errors, in
   more places, with more hints to the users about ways to fix the
code. *Difficulty:
   Medium Size: 175 (medium) Mentors: Arthur and/or Philip*

I am really good at C, C++ and have decent experience working with FLEX and
YACC and hence would be an appropriate candidate for the same.

It would be great if you can give me insights on how I can formalize my
proposal for GSoC 2023.

Hoping to contribute to the organization through GSoC 2023.

Thank you.

--
The information contained in this electronic communication is intended
solely for the individual(s) or entity to which it is addressed. It may

* Re: GSoC 2023
@ 2023-03-21 20:40 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-21 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ANKESH PANDEY .; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

On Sun, Mar 19 2023, ANKESH PANDEY . wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am Ankesh Pandey, a 3rd year Computer Science Undergraduate.
>
> I am interested in contributing for the following projects:

We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.

>    1.
>
>    Unicode support: Our Lexer and AST do not support Unicode strings and
>    identifiers, which we need to be a Rust compiler. The project will require
>    a student to work mostly in the Lexer and AST but the changes here will
>    ripple all the way through our HIR and code-generation passes. For example,
>    in implementing Unicode support, it will make sense to ensure we improve
>    location info, so instead of simply passing around Unicode strings in the
>    IR's we should create a unique string data structure which also contains
>    location info to improve our error diagnostics and debug
> information. *Difficulty:
>    Hard Size: 350 hours (large) Mentors: Arthur and/or Philip*
>    2.
>
>    Improving user errors: We recently merged code enabling the Rust
>    frontend to emit error codes similarly to rustc. We'd like for gccrs to be
>    able to emit the same errors codes as rustc, in order to help bridge the
>    gap between our two testsuites and enable us to eventually run the rustc
>    one. The student will have to research rustc error codes, their various
>    guarantees, and emit them throughout the frontend code. We would also like
>    the code responsible for emitting errors to get more fleshed out and allow
>    more functionality. Finally, this will also be a good project to start
>    looking at a better user experience for gccrs: emitting more errors, in
>    more places, with more hints to the users about ways to fix the
> code. *Difficulty:
>    Medium Size: 175 (medium) Mentors: Arthur and/or Philip*

Please note that Rust-GCC projects are a bit special in the sense that
they are often discussed primarily on Zulip of the gcc-rust team:

https://gcc-rust.zulipchat.com/

So you may want to reach out to them there as well.

> I am really good at C, C++ and have decent experience working with FLEX and
> YACC and hence would be an appropriate candidate for the same.
>
> It would be great if you can give me insights on how I can formalize my
> proposal for GSoC 2023.

I assume you have already read through https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode
The page has guidelines on what we expect to find a proposal.

Feel free to ask about any specifics either here on the mailing list or
on the Zulip linked above.

Good luck!

Martin

* Re: GSoC 2023
@ 2023-03-29 16:24 ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-29 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Putovny; +Cc: gcc

On Mon, Mar 27 2023, Igor Putovny via Gcc wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am a student of computer science and I was thinking about applying for
> Google Summer of Code 2023. Naturally, I wanted to reach out to you before
> applying for GCC projects.

Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the idea page
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and make sure you
are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it generate dumps
and step through some function during compilation.

See https://gcc.gnu.org/pipermail/gcc/2023-March/240833.html

> 2. Extend the static analysis pass

This is an area, rather than a specific project.  I'd suggest you look
trough recent archives of the gcc mailing list too, as many projects in
that area have been discussed there recently.

> 3. Rust Front-End: HIR Dump
> 4. Rust Front-End: Improving user errors

Please note that Rust-GCC projects are a bit special in the sense that
they are often discussed primarily on Zulip of the gcc-rust team:

https://gcc-rust.zulipchat.com/

So you may want to reach out to them there as well.

> I have to admit that I feel a bit intimidated by projects of "hard
> difficulty", because I have seen how hard it is to find your way in a large
> codebase (which GCC definitely is).

I definitely agree that GCC source can be hard to go through, especially
for newcomers but often even for seasoned contributors when they look at
a part they are not familiar with.  But when you manage to manage to
overcome the difficulty, the project can be very rewarding.  And so not
hesitate to ask us any specific question you may have here on the
mailing list or on IRC.

> Therefore, I would like to ask you for your opinion about these topics and
> the level of theoretical/practical experience with compilers you are
> expecting.

The topics were selected because they are good in various ways and the
necessary level of experience is also broadly described on our wiki
page.  You need to be good at C/C++ and have to be willing (and able) to
navigate the big-code base.  Figuring it out is work, but doable.

> As for the languages used, I have advanced knowledge of C and intermediate
> knowledge of C++.

That should be good enough.  I think.  But you need to do some research
of the code related to the topics yourself and you should fairly quickly
realize whether your C/C++ skills are sufficient.

Good luck!

Martin

* GSoC 2023
@ 2023-03-27 23:26 Igor Putovny
From: Igor Putovny @ 2023-03-27 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

 Dear all,

I am an undergraduate student of computer science and I am interested in
GCC projects for Google Summer of Code 2023.

From selected topics you are interested in, several grabbed my attention:
1. Bypass assembler when generating LTO object file
2. Rust Front-End: HIR Dump
3. Rust Front-End: Improving user errors

May I ask you for more information about these projects and other knowledge
or skills you are expecting?

Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,
Igor Putovný