* Regarding GSOC
       [not found] <FF02519E-D1EA-43F9-86BA-AF6EFDECC8BE@hxcore.ol>
@ 2023-03-13 13:13 ` Megha Raj
From: Megha Raj @ 2023-03-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Respected sir/mam,

Actually I want to know what are skills you desire to have in the members
of your organization as I’m aware with c &c++ so, can you please let me
know other than this what knowledge should I know for getting selected in
your franchise in deep

* Re: Regarding GSOC
@ 2023-03-14 17:25   ` Martin Jambor
       [not found]     ` <CACstDaEpYbNWR2ABw6gUD+jvQnygno7wJhJYDmux2_o+qD6YnQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-14 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Megha Raj; +Cc: gcc

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 13 2023, Megha Raj via Gcc wrote:
> Respected sir/mam,
>
> Actually I want to know what are skills you desire to have in the members
> of your organization as I’m aware with c &c++ so, can you please let me
> know other than this what knowledge should I know for getting selected in
> your franchise in deep

We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.

Apart from C/C++ coding skills, most projects require some rudimentary
theoretical background in compilers.

Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the
idea page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and
make sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.

Afterwards, look at a suggested idea, try to identify the portion of GCC
source which is involved and email us back to the mailing list,
describing the idea and (often with help from the community) what is
your plan to address it.  Also, we'll be happy to help with any specific
GCC development issues you may encounter.

Good luck,

Martin

* Re: Regarding GSOC
       [not found]     ` <CACstDaEpYbNWR2ABw6gUD+jvQnygno7wJhJYDmux2_o+qD6YnQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2023-03-21 20:19       ` Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-21 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

please CC the mailing list on these discussions.

On Fri, Mar 17 2023, Megha Raj wrote:
> Thank you for your mail
> Now I'm focusing on internal working of compiler
> As having a rough idea is enough for the contribution or I need depth
> knowledge??

that depends on the project but for many, just having an idea what an
Intermediate Representation (IR), sometimes called Intermediate Language
(IL) is, can suffice.

But it really depends on what you would like to focus on.

Good luck,

Martin

> On Tue, 14 Mar, 2023, 22:55 Martin Jambor, <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 13 2023, Megha Raj via Gcc wrote:
>> > Respected sir/mam,
>> >
>> > Actually I want to know what are skills you desire to have in the members
>> > of your organization as I’m aware with c &c++ so, can you please let me
>> > know other than this what knowledge should I know for getting selected in
>> > your franchise in deep
>>
>> We are delighted you found contributing to GCC interesting.
>>
>> Apart from C/C++ coding skills, most projects require some rudimentary
>> theoretical background in compilers.
>>
>> Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of the
>> idea page https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and
>> make sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
>> generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.
>>
>> Afterwards, look at a suggested idea, try to identify the portion of GCC
>> source which is involved and email us back to the mailing list,
>> describing the idea and (often with help from the community) what is
>> your plan to address it.  Also, we'll be happy to help with any specific
>> GCC development issues you may encounter.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Martin

* Re: Regarding GSOC
@ 2019-03-26 18:29   ` Aniket Agarwalla
From: Aniket Agarwalla @ 2019-03-26 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: gcc

Thank you, I will do that.

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019, 11:51 PM Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> wrote:

> Hi Aniket,
>
> On Mon, Mar 25 2019, Aniket Agarwalla wrote:
> > Hello Sir,
> >
> > I am interested in working with you in your shortlisted projects on Gsoc
> > 2019 namely
> > "Add new math.h and complex.h functions as built-ins".
>
> we are already in fairly advanced stage of putting together a proposal
> for the same project with Tejas Joshi.  You can of course try to submit
> a better one but it will be difficult.  Or you just have about time to
> switch and attempt a different project idea.
>
> > I would like to add that I have a good mathematical background and have
> > been doing competitive programming for years now.So I think I can work
> hard
> > on this project and complete the project as per the organization
> > requirements. I also wanted to know what more I can do or submit a
> proposal
> > to get a chance to work with your organization.
>
> Please look again at the "Before you apply" section of our GSoC wiki
> page at https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Before_you_apply and make
> sure you are able to build, install and test GCC and then have it
> generate dumps and step through some function during compilation.
>
> Then find bits of GCC that are relevant to your selected project and
> continue exploring like above.  If you have any specific questions, feel
> free to ask again here on the mailing list.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Martin

* Re: Regarding GSOC
@ 2019-03-26 18:21 ` Martin Jambor