* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
       [not found] <trinity-ab21cf64-1398-4c75-8caa-a52efdc9b7d3-1618729680011@3c-app-mailcom-bs07>
@ 2021-04-18  7:50 ` Aaron Gyes
       [not found] ` <49D9BBE8-5030-48FD-926D-BFA77FFC1B1F@icloud.com>
From: Aaron Gyes @ 2021-04-18  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> Correct.   The Apache License included certain patent termination and counterclaim provisions, made void and null by the LLVM Exceptions.  Originally, the LLVM License
> was based on the two free software licenses - the X11 license and the 3-clause BSD license.  By 2005, Apple managed to hamstring the project by hiring Chris Lattner
> and giving him a team to work on LLVM.

Can you tell me about some of the lawsuits that resulted?

–
Aaron

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
       [not found]   ` <trinity-a4f8ab04-ccb4-48df-a7ff-acdbe4456f66-1618732226919@3c-app-mailcom-bs07>
@ 2021-04-18  7:53     ` Aaron Gyes
From: Aaron Gyes @ 2021-04-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: gcc

If the purpose was to facilitate lawsuits, and these lawsuits haven’t occurred after all these years, it seems like it didn’t work. Maybe you are wrong about the intent?

Aaron

@ 2021-04-18  8:18       ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gyes; +Cc: gcc

You don't have to believe me of course.  Go ask any lawyer worth her
salt and she'll tell you the same thing!

@ 2021-04-18  9:06         ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2021-04-18  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Gyes; +Cc: gcc

On Sun, 18 Apr 2021, 10:01 Christopher Dimech via Gcc, <gcc@gcc.gnu.org>
wrote:

> You don't have to believe me of course.  Go ask any lawyer worth her
> salt and she'll tell you the same thing!

And if they don't tell you the same thing, they're obviously not a true
Scotsman.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-18  9:51           ` Christopher Dimech
> > You don't have to believe me of course.  Go ask any lawyer worth her
> > salt and she'll tell you the same thing!
> >

> And if they don't tell you the same thing, they're obviously not a true
> Scotsman.

A lawyer can trick anybody to do anything. That's why you should have your own. ;)

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-19  0:55       ` Andrew Sutton
From: Andrew Sutton @ 2021-04-19  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Siddhesh Poyarekar, GCC Development, Ville Voutilainen

> > Of computer science graduates I have encountered over the last decade, I
> > know few who started their journey with gcc and they were all in the
> > initial part of the decade.  In recent years I don't think I encountered
> > any student who works on gcc; many even start with the assumption that
> > gcc is in maintenance mode.
>
> For military focused PhDs, gcc is used.

Is this a real thing? I spent 15 year in academia (I left a few years ago),
and I've never heard of a "military-focused PhD", especially in the context
of computer science. I know of security-focused PhDs with intelligence
applications, and I can imagine there are people out there working on AI/CV
applications with military applications, but I think it's unlikely that
those would require modifying a compiler. Applications in HPC might require
deep compiler work and have potential military applications supporting
AI/CV apps, but I wouldn't consider those "military-focused".

I see things pretty much the same way as Siddhesh describes.

> - Funding - llvm has a much stronger funding ecosystem than gcc.  This
> > includes direct funding from the foundation and development workforce
> > from various organizations and universities.
>
> You will not get funding grants in the US if you mention free software,
> because the US Department of Commerce does not allow it.

This is wildly inaccurate. Commerce has nothing to do with funding offered
by other agencies. The NSF, which provides a significant portion of funding
for CS research in the US, has embraced the release of research artifacts
(read code) as open-source software. What's even better, the licensing on
released work almost doesn't matter to the funding agency, unless they
specifically enumerate limits and restrictions in their solicitations.

For example, GCC's implementation of C++20 concepts was funded by NSF. I
know because I was the postdoc funded to do that work. In fact, you can
find NSF acknowledgments in the proposals I worked on. As a professor, I
had NSF-funded work related to software-defined networking. All that code
was also released open-source, albeit under an Apache or MIT license---I
forget which.

DoD and DoE almost certainly have restrictions. Corporate funding too, but
I have less experience with those.

Andrew

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-18 18:19         ` Christopher Dimech
From: Thomas Rodgers @ 2021-04-18 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Siddhesh Poyarekar, GCC Development, Ville Voutilainen

@ 2021-04-18 16:55                       ` Thomas Rodgers
From: Thomas Rodgers @ 2021-04-18 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Ville Voutilainen, GCC Development

On 2021-04-17 20:10, Christopher Dimech via Gcc wrote:

> You have specified that the community does not require my approval or
> that
> of Eric Raymond.  That is true of course.  But many have gone through
> so
> much new age training that they ended up with a very sophisticated way
> of bullshitting themselves.
>
> Regards
> Christopher
>
>> I'll see my work in GCC11 through (there's one remaining patch review
>> address this week); I don't like leaving things in a half assed state
>> if
>> I can avoid it. The work to finish out C++20 library support features
>> which passed through the Concurrency and Parallelism study group
>> (SG-1)
>> in WG21 on their way to being standardized will be, for now, done in a
>> public repo with GPL license sans-FSF assignment. Other work which I
>> have initiated to replace the dependency on Thread Building Blocks
>> within the Parallel STL algorithms (PSTL); something required for this
>> part of libstdc++ to no longer be marked 'experimental' will not be
>> done
>> with a GPL license and will not, as a result, be assigned to the FSF.
>
> Using a GPL and assigning copyright are two different things though.

Uhm, well, Duh? I guess...not sure what your point is, but mine is - I'm
only
going to do one of those things for the time being for libstdc++ work,
and do
precisely neither of those things on the runtime component I expect to
eventually
replace TBB with in the PSTL.

@ 2021-04-18 14:01                 ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Voutilainen; +Cc: Richard Kenner, GCC Development, siddhesh

But that was around 2017.  Perhaps people want to cut costs again - that's
not a new thing.  After all, they changed their mind in 2011 only because
they got in excess of 5000 attacks that year.  At any time in the past, I
would have decided that science was good for the Sapiens.  But now, with
hindsight...

@ 2021-04-18 13:05               ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-18 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dimech; +Cc: gcc, siddhesh, ville.voutilainen

@ 2021-04-18 12:46             ` Christopher Dimech
> > Depends on the use cases.  Not in military surveillance.  And certainly not
> > at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.  At Boeing could be the same, but
> > I'm not sure.  Before 2011, rather than building things from scratch,
> > washington bureaucrats simply picked from among existing technology.  But
> > things had really been going berserk around 2008.  From 2017 onwards,
> > I'm somewhat in the dark.  They could have started allowing some ownership
> > rights, but ownership rights under government contracts are very different
> > than ownership rights under commercial contracts.
>
> I can't understand your point with this version either.   Sorry.

It is an argument against the idea that LLVM is the default way that
people choose.  In those places, gcc is used.  No Microsoft (i.e. no Fortran
Developer Studio, or LLVM).  Before, I was using Microsoft Developer studio
as a student.  In those places, they don't trust Microsoft or anybody that

@ 2021-04-18 11:06             ` Ville Voutilainen
From: Ville Voutilainen @ 2021-04-18 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Kenner; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, GCC Development, siddhesh

@ 2021-04-18 10:49           ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-18 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dimech; +Cc: gcc, siddhesh, ville.voutilainen

@ 2021-04-18 10:45       ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-18 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dimech; +Cc: gcc, siddhesh, ville.voutilainen

> You will not get funding grants in the US if you mention free software,
> because the US Department of Commerce does not allow it.

This is not correct and I suspect is a misunderstanding of what
"government data rights" means.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-18 10:11         ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar; +Cc: Gabriel Ravier, gcc

Please refer to the *Exemptions* section listed in the link below

https://www.commerce.gov/about/policies/source-code

---------------------
Christopher Dimech
General Administrator - Naiad Informatics - GNU Project (Geocomputation)
- Geophysical Simulation
- Geological Subsurface Mapping
- Disaster Preparedness and Mitigation
- Natural Resource Exploration and Production
- Free Software Advocacy

@ 2021-04-18  7:53       ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-04-18  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: NightStrike, Ville Voutilainen, GCC Development

@ 2021-04-18  7:46         ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-04-18  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gabriel Ravier, gcc

@ 2021-04-18  7:45       ` Gabriel Ravier

@ 2021-04-18  7:38     ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhesh Poyarekar; +Cc: NightStrike, Ville Voutilainen, GCC Development

---------------------
> [...]

> initial part of the decade.  In recent years I don't think I encountered
> any student who works on gcc; many even start with the assumption that
> gcc is in maintenance mode.
>
> So to summarize, the reasons why llvm is gaining traction *today* (I'm
> sure there are more):
>
> - Compiler-as-a-library - llvm is the first choice in FOSS projects and
> use cases are exploding with gcc nowhere in sight
>
> - Mindshare - most students and researchers are focused on it
>
> - Funding - llvm has a much stronger funding ecosystem than gcc.  This
> includes direct funding from the foundation and development workforce
> from various organizations and universities.
>
> - License - Companies are building proprietary solutions on top of llvm.
>
> Siddhesh

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-18  6:44     ` Christopher Dimech
                         ` (2 more replies)

@ 2021-04-18  6:09   ` Siddhesh Poyarekar
From: Siddhesh Poyarekar @ 2021-04-18  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NightStrike, Ville Voutilainen; +Cc: GCC Development

@ 2021-04-18  5:46 ` Aaron Gyes
From: Aaron Gyes @ 2021-04-18  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

@ 2021-04-18  4:33 Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nightstrike, GCC Development

I was under the (likely incorrect, please enlighten me) impression
that the meteoric rise of LLVM had more to do with the license
allowing corporate contributors to ship derived works in binary form
without sharing proprietary code. -  NightStrike

You are correct.  LLVM is under the Apache License Version 2.0, which is a
free software license compatible with the GNU GPL Version 3.0.

But the license comes with LLVM Exceptions that nullifies the Apache License,
because it then allows others to embedded their work into object form.
Furthermore, it continues to nullify the Apache License by allowing patent
treachery.  The LLVM License is thus a perfidious license intended to
allow the licensor to sue you at their choosing.

Consequently, the LLVM Owners are being extremely dishonest, because they
are using the words "Apache License" to trick people into believing that
the LLVM License has anything to do with free software.  It does not.

Regards
Christopher

* A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-18  3:10                     ` Christopher Dimech
From: Christopher Dimech @ 2021-04-18  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Voutilainen; +Cc: GCC Development

       [not found]                 ` <trinity-987682bd-1a5d-4c87-a036-01044a9c5d73-1618686519549@3c-app-mailcom-bs07>
@ 2021-04-18  0:59                   ` Thomas Rodgers
From: Thomas Rodgers @ 2021-04-18  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Ville Voutilainen, GCC Development

On 2021-04-17 12:08, Christopher Dimech wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> So we are decided?  I am not pushing anybody down the cliff - rms, you
> or anybody.  I simply wish that after
> a few world wars, people start seeing the light and things will be
> somewhat blissed out working on free software.

In a lot of ways this is pretty simple for me. Having observed a few
weeks of the FSF's ham-fisted response to the ham-fisted way in which
they handled a this entire matter, makes it very easy for *me* to arrive
at the stance that the *current state* of the FSF is such that I don't
personally believe it has the ability to be a good steward of the work
that is assigned to it going forward, and so *I* am not going to do that
thing in particular as long as that remains the case.

@ 2021-04-17 18:29               ` Thomas Rodgers
       [not found]                 ` <trinity-987682bd-1a5d-4c87-a036-01044a9c5d73-1618686519549@3c-app-mailcom-bs07>
From: Thomas Rodgers @ 2021-04-17 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Voutilainen; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, GCC Development

On 2021-04-17 10:40, Ville Voutilainen via Gcc wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Apr 2021 at 20:31, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I do not see people really intending to fork.  It explains why
>> detractors
>> have gone berserk.
>
> I appreciate your colorful exaggerations, but I should point out that
> the libstdc++
> maintainer has stated his intention to fork, in unambigous terms. A
> helper
> elf of his has stated that he will follow the fork, if it occurs. I'm
> politely entertaining
> the possibility that you missed that, but Mr. Wakely is not joking
> when he indicates
> that he wishes to do a non-FSF fork of lbistdc++.

On the helper elf front, I can concretely state that I will not (for the
foreseeable future) be assigning copyright to FSF on *new* concurrency
and parallelism related features in libstdc++ or the support libraries
for this work to the FSF.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-17 18:03               ` Christopher Dimech
> > I do not see people really intending to fork.  It explains why detractors
> > have gone berserk.
>
> I appreciate your colorful exaggerations, but I should point out that
> the libstdc++
> maintainer has stated his intention to fork, in unambigous terms. A helper
> elf of his has stated that he will follow the fork, if it occurs. I'm
> politely entertaining
> the possibility that you missed that, but Mr. Wakely is not joking
> when he indicates
> that he wishes to do a non-FSF fork of lbistdc++.

Talk facts not rhetoric.  What I have seen is people trying to resolve
the problem without resorting to an actual complete fork.  For this to
happen, people would have to agree on things they would not be completely
satisfied about.

If the fork is presented as a threat, things are not going to work well.
I am not complaining about a decision, whatever that is.  But parading
nuclear missiles means nothing - that I should know.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-17 17:40             ` Ville Voutilainen
From: Ville Voutilainen @ 2021-04-17 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: Jason Merrill, GCC Development

@ 2021-04-17 17:31           ` Christopher Dimech
From: Ville Voutilainen @ 2021-04-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Merrill; +Cc: Christopher Dimech, GCC Development

@ 2021-04-17 13:10               ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-17 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kryn; +Cc: gcc

> >> It would be usefull to clarify with the FSF and GNU what the
> >> actual relations are,
> > Why?  What would that gain?  I go back to my analogy of the British Queen.
> > What would be gained by "clarifying" that if she actually intervenes
> > non-trivially in the government of any Commonwealth nation, she'd lose
> > that power?
>
> There are differences between the queen and RMS, even if the image
> has some merit.

I was refering more to the FSF and GNU project here than to RMS.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-17  9:25             ` Didier Kryn
From: Didier Kryn @ 2021-04-17  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Le 16/04/2021 à 19:06, Richard Kenner a écrit :
>> The authority of the FSF, GNU and RMS over GCC is and has been a
>> fiction for decades,
> For the most part, I agree.
>
>> It would be usefull to clarify with the FSF and GNU what the
>> actual relations are,
> Why?  What would that gain?  I go back to my analogy of the British Queen.
> What would be gained by "clarifying" that if she actually intervenes
> non-trivially in the government of any Commonwealth nation, she'd lose
> that power?

    There are differences between the queen and RMS, even if the image
has some merit. For example, the UK remains a formal monarchy in part
because the queen has better social skills than RMS.

    The supporters of software freedom in general are probably not in
favour of a monarchy, even formal, even if they know their debt to RMS.
Therefore, if the GNU project loves to keep this childish fictious power
of the chief GNUisance, this doesn't prevent GCC to remain associated to
the FSF.

--     Didier

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 19:02   ` Paul Koning
From: Paul Koning @ 2021-04-16 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NightStrike; +Cc: GCC Development

> On Apr 16, 2021, at 2:41 PM, NightStrike via Gcc <gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:

> I was under the (likely incorrect, please enlighten me) impression
> that the meteoric rise of LLVM had more to do with the license
> allowing corporate contributors to ship derived works in binary form
> without sharing proprietary code.

My impression is a variation on this: that LLVM is in substantial part motivated by a desire to avoid GPL V3.  And that there wasn't such a push when GPL V2 was the version in general use.

	paul

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 18:41 ` NightStrike
From: NightStrike @ 2021-04-16 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ville Voutilainen; +Cc: GCC Development

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 7:23 AM Ville Voutilainen via Gcc
<gcc@gcc.gnu.org> wrote:
> On the first part, other people have touched on it already,
> but the fear of a dreaded non-free software vendor co-opting
> GCC as a library to a non-free project has resulted in GCC
> being unsuitable to be used as a library in free software
> projects. This approach alone made sure that the meteoric
> rise of LLVM happened; there are recorded statements
> from LLVM developers trying to talk about this to RMS,
> and the answer, as they phrased it, "wasn't useful", because
> RMS decided that GCC shouldn't be a library to make it
> harder to use it in conjunction with non-free programs.
>
> Congratulations, it remains hard to use in conjunction
> with free programs, and everybody who wants to do something
> like that looks at LLVM first. RMS made a lofty attempt to
> promote copyleft software for such purposes, and failed
> miserably, leading us into a situation where such problems
> are not solved with copyleft software, but with LLVM instead.

I was under the (likely incorrect, please enlighten me) impression
that the meteoric rise of LLVM had more to do with the license
allowing corporate contributors to ship derived works in binary form
without sharing proprietary code.  Intel, IBM, nVidia, etc. are
migrating towards LLVM for this purpose.  To do so using GCC would (I
believe; again, please correct me) require that they share more source
code than they would have to under LLVM.  This licensing model makes
working on LLVM more attractive to companies that wish to keep
proprietary code hidden, and thus LLVM garners a lot of corporate
backing.  It seems to me that technical differences (easier porting,
or early claims of better diagnostics, for instance) and culture
differences (let's just say that LLVM developers are more friendly,
although I've never encountered a mean GCC developer) are not the
driving force behind such strong support.  As usual in the world,
follow the money.

If the idea is that GCC-as-a-Library would enable Intel, for example,
to use GCC for their ICX OneAPI compiler the way they are now using
LLVM, with significant portions of it hidden from the user, it seems
to me that not supporting this is a very consistent GNU view.
Allowing derived works that don't publish the full source code seems
to be against the very spirit of GNU.  If the GCC project opts to
distance itself from various three letter acronyms, as a user, I have
to wonder what that means in the future regarding the strict adherence
to software freedoms that GCC has had for a long time now.

I don't think I would suggest that there would be an immediate knee
jerk reaction to change everything.  Instead, it seems that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creeping_normality would take place to
slowly change the "Freedom first" ideology over time.  Maybe I'm jaded
by the recent changes to CentOS, where RedHat applied a Microsoft
tactic to embrace, extend, and extinguish it (at least in the form we
previously knew).  That took about ten years, but I can easily see how
the same thing could happen over a long period of time to GCC (note
that often when this has happened in history, including outside of the
computing world, it was difficult or impossible to predict how it
could end poorly. Padme's "thunderous applause" cheats, in that we saw
the sequels first :) )

It would be good, therefore, to address upfront how the software
freedoms of GCC users would be as consistently guaranteed in the
future as they are now.  Would a future GCC be committed to
universally blocking any hypothetical positive technical improvement
that also reduced user freedom?

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 17:13         ` Jeff Law
From: Jeff Law @ 2021-04-16 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Koenig, gcc

On 4/16/2021 9:57 AM, Thomas Koenig via Gcc wrote:
> Hello world,
>
> realising that my e-mails may have done more harm than good,
> I will now unsubscribe from the gcc mailing list, so please
> don't expect a reply unless you copy me in.

I don't think your emails have done any harm.  I find them quite
valuable, so I'm sad to see you dropping yourself from the gcc@ list.

jeff

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 17:06           ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 2021-04-16 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kryn; +Cc: gcc

> The authority of the FSF, GNU and RMS over GCC is and has been a
> fiction for decades,

For the most part, I agree.

@ 2021-04-16 16:24         ` Didier Kryn
From: Didier Kryn @ 2021-04-16 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

    From reading most of this thread, it is clear to me that

    - The authority of the FSF, GNU and RMS over GCC is and has been a
fiction for decades,

    - This fiction has been erased from the official web page of the
project,

    - It would be usefull to clarify with the FSF and GNU what the
actual relations are,

    - This can certainly be done in a polite way without all sorts of
rant, and arguments with no relation with Free Software, in particular
attacks ad persona.

    The power is and has always been in the hands of the people doing
the job (the developpers/maintainers). But those who have the power
would be wise to pay attention to the opinions of the many afficionados
of GCC, GNU and Free Software in general, even those who aren't
contributors. These people aren't trolls; they speak up because they are
concerned about the project.

--     Didier

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 16:00       ` Jason Merrill
From: Jason Merrill @ 2021-04-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2021-04-16 15:57       ` Thomas Koenig
From: Thomas Koenig @ 2021-04-16 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hello world,

realising that my e-mails may have done more harm than good,
I will now unsubscribe from the gcc mailing list, so please
don't expect a reply unless you copy me in.

Best regards

	Thomas

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 14:49     ` Christopher Dimech

@ 2021-04-16 13:53       ` Ville Voutilainen
From: Ville Voutilainen @ 2021-04-16 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: GCC Development

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 at 16:22, Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com> wrote:
> Many do not contribute because they do not have time, resources or support.

Yes? And? Even if GCC detaches itself from FSF, those who can contribute will
continue to contribute. And those who talk about contributing but
don't contribute
will likely continue talking and not contributing.

> Additionally, maintainers have always been aware that being a Gnu Maintainer
> meant that coordinating activities in the GNU Project were on behalf of RMS.

Fine. And if those maintainers no longer wish to be coordinating activities
on behalf of RMS, they should make that decision and run with it. Or
make a decision
not to.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 13:22     ` Christopher Dimech

@ 2021-04-16 13:05   ` Aaron Gyes
From: Aaron Gyes @ 2021-04-16 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

> Due to their being paid for the work.  Have no doubt that if others
> were being paid, the contributions could likely drown the current
> contributors.  Thus, the claim of a power grab is valid.

This is a non-sequitur.

* Re: A suggestion for going forward from the RMS/FSF debate
@ 2021-04-16 13:03   ` Ville Voutilainen
From: Ville Voutilainen @ 2021-04-16 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Dimech; +Cc: GCC Development

@ 2021-04-16 12:46 ` Christopher Dimech