* Query about reload pass !!
@ 2002-10-18  7:24 Ranjit Singh
From: Ranjit Singh @ 2002-10-18  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

Hi Everyone,

The reload pass has lots of complicated code.
People who have actually worked on it might have
better understanding of it. So I request them to
help me understand some aspects of it.

I am interested to know how exactly replacement of
regs which fail to get hard regs take place.
The array reg_equiv_memory_loc seems to be holding
equivalent stack locations, but where in reload do
we replace them in insn chain.
And does new reg allocator also has similar
processing.

Thanks for your kind help,
Regards,
    Ranjit.

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

* Re: Query about reload pass !!
@ 2002-10-18 11:35 ` Jim Wilson
From: Jim Wilson @ 2002-10-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ranjit Singh; +Cc: gcc

>I am interested to know how exactly replacement of
>regs which fail to get hard regs take place.

Pseudo-regs are unique rtl, so we only have to make one change in order to
modify all uses of a pseudo-reg.  This is done in alter_reg to convert
pseudo-regs into hard-regs, and near the end of reload() to convert pseudo
regs into MEMs.  Search for regno_reg_rtx.

>And does new reg allocator also has similar
>processing.

I don't know.  Probably.

Jim