public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 12:08 Stewart, Richard
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Stewart, Richard @ 2005-07-08 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I would like to use GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6 and possibly even newer
versions of GCC.  I'm using GCC 2.95 right now and would like to gain
some of the performance improvements in the newer versions of the
compiler, but I am not able to upgrade from GDB 4.18 right now.  So far
the only restriction I see is that I need to integrate this patch
(http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2001-11/msg00097.html).  Has
anybody tried using GDB 4.18 with a recent version of GCC?  Or does
anybody have any insight to other solutions out there or problems I
might run in to along the way?  Thanks.

* Re: GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 13:42 ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2005-07-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart, Richard; +Cc: gdb

Stewart, Richard wrote:
> I would like to use GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6 and possibly even newer
> versions of GCC.  I'm using GCC 2.95 right now and would like to gain
> some of the performance improvements in the newer versions of the
> compiler

Um, better be sure there really are performance improvements
before you dive in.  One app that I care about runs slower
on gcc-3.4.1 than on gcc-2.95.3.

I'm putting together a performance regression benchmark
suite right now by pulling together all the known microbenchmarks
that run slower on newer versions of gcc, in hopes
of helping make sure that gcc-4.1 resolves most of them.
- Dan

* Re: GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 13:56 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2005-07-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart, Richard; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 08:08:07AM -0400, Stewart, Richard wrote:
> I would like to use GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6 and possibly even newer
> versions of GCC.  I'm using GCC 2.95 right now and would like to gain
> some of the performance improvements in the newer versions of the
> compiler, but I am not able to upgrade from GDB 4.18 right now.  So far
> the only restriction I see is that I need to integrate this patch
> (http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2001-11/msg00097.html).  Has
> anybody tried using GDB 4.18 with a recent version of GCC?  Or does
> anybody have any insight to other solutions out there or problems I
> might run in to along the way?  Thanks.

I don't give good odds that this will work.  Many GDB fixes for GCC
compatibility have gone in in the last, oh, four or so years.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC

* Re: GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 14:33   ` Matthew J Fletcher
From: Matthew J Fletcher @ 2005-07-08 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb; +Cc: Dan Kegel, Stewart, Richard

On Friday 08 Jul 2005 2:33 pm, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Stewart, Richard wrote:
> > I would like to use GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6 and possibly even newer
> > versions of GCC.  I'm using GCC 2.95 right now and would like to gain
> > some of the performance improvements in the newer versions of the
> > compiler
>
> Um, better be sure there really are performance improvements
> before you dive in.  One app that I care about runs slower
> on gcc-3.4.1 than on gcc-2.95.3.
>
> I'm putting together a performance regression benchmark
> suite right now by pulling together all the known microbenchmarks
> that run slower on newer versions of gcc, in hopes
> of helping make sure that gcc-4.1 resolves most of them.
> - Dan

i would be very interested in your preliminary results if you have any.

maybe your going to test 2.95.3 / 3.3.6 / 3.4.4 / 4.0.1  / 4.1.x with C based
benchmarks, but i would be also very intrested in complex C++ (using stl
features) for the same set of compilers, as my 'embedded' application is
written in complex c++.

regards
---
Matthew J Fletcher
Embedded Software
Serck Controls Ltd
---
Serck Controls Ltd, Rowley Drive, Coventry, CV3 4FH, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 24 7630 5050   Fax: +44 (0) 24 7630 2437
Web: www.serck-controls.com  Admin: post@serck-controls.co.uk
A subsidiary of Serck Controls Pty. Ltd. Reg. in England No. 4353634
This email and files transmitted with it are confidential and
the above. Any views or opinions presented are those of the author
and do not necessarily represent those of Serck Controls Ltd.

This message has been checked by MessageLabs

* Re: GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 14:50     ` Dan Kegel
From: Dan Kegel @ 2005-07-08 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mfletcher; +Cc: gdb, Stewart, Richard

Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
>>I'm putting together a performance regression benchmark
>>suite right now by pulling together all the known microbenchmarks
>>that run slower on newer versions of gcc, in hopes
>>of helping make sure that gcc-4.1 resolves most of them.
>
> i would be very interested in your preliminary results if you have any.
>
> maybe your going to test 2.95.3 / 3.3.6 / 3.4.4 / 4.0.1  / 4.1.x with C based
> benchmarks, but i would be also very intrested in complex C++ (using stl
> features) for the same set of compilers, as my 'embedded' application is
> written in complex c++.

Some of our tests come from bug reports in gcc bugzilla,
but most so far come from bench++.  At least a couple
involve c++.  You can see those by running bench++ yourself,
it's pretty good once you get past the setup hurdles
(like, it wants you to install ksh!).  It's at
http://www.research.att.com/~orost/bench_plus_plus.html

* Re: GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6
@ 2005-07-08 19:02 ` Jason Molenda
From: Jason Molenda @ 2005-07-08 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart, Richard; +Cc: gdb

On Jul 8, 2005, at 5:08 AM, Stewart, Richard wrote:

> I would like to use GDB 4.18 with GCC 3.3.6 and possibly even newer
> versions of GCC.

Have you tried using stabs instead of dwarf?  -gstabs+ on the
compiler command line.  Stabs has many problems, but rapid
advancement of the debug format is not among them. :-)

We're still using stabs here at Apple.  It's a drag for some C++
things, but otherwise not unlivable.  Of course we hope to migrate to
DWARF, but most stuff works fine with stabs.