public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* problems trying to install insight
@ 2003-05-09 20:10 David Carlton
From: David Carlton @ 2003-05-09 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, insight

I'm trying to install insight by hand.  So I kept on running it and,
whenever I got an error message about not being able to find a certain
file, I copied it to one of the suggested locations.  I think I did
this for tcl, libgui, tk, itcl, and ik, but I may be missing
something.

Eventually, I got to a state where I didn't get any complaints, but
insight just exited without printing anything at all.  Running it
within GDB, I found that it was trying to print out the error message:

  Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:
  /usr/local/share/insight1.0 /usr/local/lib/insight1.0
  /usr/lib/insight1.0 /usr/local/library /usr/library
  /usr/insight/library /insight/

and failing.

I'm not at all familiar with the relevant parts of GDB's code (or with
any of insight's code), else I'd try to fix it myself.  If somebody
thinks it's appropriate, I'll file a bug (under GDB or under insight?
I'm not sure who is losing the message).

Incidentally, if possible it would be nice if the error message for a
missing iwidgets were a bit more informative, too.

David Carlton
carlton@bactrian.org

* Re: problems trying to install insight
@ 2003-05-09 20:31 ` Keith Seitz
From: Keith Seitz @ 2003-05-09 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Carlton; +Cc: gdb, insight

On Fri, 2003-05-09 at 13:10, David Carlton wrote:
> I'm trying to install insight by hand.  So I kept on running it and,
> whenever I got an error message about not being able to find a certain
> file, I copied it to one of the suggested locations.  I think I did
> this for tcl, libgui, tk, itcl, and ik, but I may be missing
> something.

Why not just use "make install-gdb"? (Just curious)

> Eventually, I got to a state where I didn't get any complaints, but
> insight just exited without printing anything at all.  Running it
> within GDB, I found that it was trying to print out the error message:
>
>   Can't find a usable main.tcl in the following directories:
>   /usr/local/share/insight1.0 /usr/local/lib/insight1.0
>   /usr/lib/insight1.0 /usr/local/library /usr/library
>   /usr/insight/library /insight/
>
> and failing.
>
> I'm not at all familiar with the relevant parts of GDB's code (or with
> any of insight's code), else I'd try to fix it myself.  If somebody
> thinks it's appropriate, I'll file a bug (under GDB or under insight?
> I'm not sure who is losing the message).

As I recall, this was a tough thing to solve. Maybe things have changed
now? I'll revisit.

> Incidentally, if possible it would be nice if the error message for a
> missing iwidgets were a bit more informative, too.

I'll double-check that. Let me guess: it just gives the standard tcl
error. Hmm. Maybe I should change all of the package requires to give a
less verbose tcl error message and a more human error message.

Thanks for peeking at it.
Keith