public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Single Step command
@ 2007-11-19 13:56 Guillaume MENANT
From: Guillaume MENANT @ 2007-11-19 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,
1 - The "s" (Single Step) command has an optionnal address value. How
does it works ? It's like a "run until" this address ?
2 - What is the reply for an "s" (Single Step) command for an error ? I
haven't seen a "E" reply in the Stop Reply Packets.
Thanks.

--

Guillaume MENANT

* Re: Single Step command
@ 2007-11-19 14:08 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2007-11-19 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: gdb

Guillaume MENANT <guillaume.menant@geensys.com> writes:

> Hello,
> 1 - The "s" (Single Step) command has an optionnal address value. How does
> it works ? It's like a "run until" this address ?

From the gdb documentation:

`s [ADDR]'
     Single step.  ADDR is the address at which to resume.  If ADDR is
     omitted, resume at same address.

Andreas.

* Re: Single Step command
@ 2007-11-19 14:13   ` Guillaume MENANT
From: Guillaume MENANT @ 2007-11-19 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: gdb

Yes, i read it too but i'm not sure i've well understand these sentences
(i'm french).

Guillaume MENANT

Andreas Schwab a écrit :
> Guillaume MENANT <guillaume.menant@geensys.com> writes:
>

>> Hello,
>> 1 - The "s" (Single Step) command has an optionnal address value. How does
>> it works ? It's like a "run until" this address ?
>>

> >From the gdb documentation:
>
> `s [ADDR]'
>      Single step.  ADDR is the address at which to resume.  If ADDR is
>      omitted, resume at same address.
>
> Andreas.

* Re: Single Step command
@ 2007-11-19 14:18 ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-11-19 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 14:56 +0100, Guillaume MENANT wrote:

> 2 - What is the reply for an "s" (Single Step) command for an error ? I
> haven't seen a "E" reply in the Stop Reply Packets.

The final authority is the code.

remote.c/remote_wait:

      switch (buf[0])
        {
        case 'E':               /* Error of some sort.  */
          warning (_("Remote failure reply: %s"), buf);
          continue;

The norm for an error reply is "Exy" where x and y are decimal
digits.  gdb does not really pay attention to the value in most
cases (including this one).

* Re: Single Step command
@ 2007-11-19 14:23     ` Michael Snyder
From: Michael Snyder @ 2007-11-19 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guillaume MENANT; +Cc: Andreas Schwab, gdb

OK -- it means that if the optional address is supplied,
the program counter will be loaded with that address
BEFORE the step is executed.

Semantically it is the same as a goto followed by a step.