public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* int foo (); vs int foo (void);
@ 2003-06-10 19:06 Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-10 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Ok, so I knew there was a reason for prefering:

> static void
> foo (void)
> {
> }

over

> static void
> foo ()
> {
> }

other than that `the former is strict ISO C'.  -Wmissing-prototypes gets
grumpy if it sees the second form.  I'd assume that the corresponding
ARI check was added as a cheap -Wmissing-prototypes check.

enjoy,
Andrew

* int foo (); vs int foo (void);
@ 2003-06-10 19:17 ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2003-06-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Cagney; +Cc: gdb, rth

Andrew Cagney writes:
 > Ok, so I knew there was a reason for prefering:
 >
 > > static void
 > > foo (void)
 > > {
 > > }
 >
 > over
 >
 > > static void
 > > foo ()
 > > {
 > > }
 >
 > other than that `the former is strict ISO C'.  -Wmissing-prototypes gets
 > grumpy if it sees the second form.  I'd assume that the corresponding
 > ARI check was added as a cheap -Wmissing-prototypes check.

Yep.

It's unfortunate that gcc doesn't treat the latter as an extension.
A whole mess o' code is going to get needlessly changed (and I'm
refering to far more than just gdb).  Blech!