public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-03-31 17:22 Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-03-31 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi,

I am trying to figure out what the correct way to build the documentation
is. I want to create an info file. From the research I have done online,
it seems as if 'makeinfo gdb.texinfo' should be the correct command.

This is the output I get.

bob@black:~/cvs/src/gdb/doc$ makeinfo gdb.texinfo
gdb.texinfo:11: @include `gdb-cfg.texi': No such file or directory.
gdb.texinfo:18836: @include `rluser.texinfo': No such file or directory.
gdb.texinfo:18836: @include `inc-hist.texinfo': No such file or
directory.
./gdb.texinfo:18838: Next reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.
./gdb.texinfo:18924: Prev reference to nonexistent node `Using History
Interactively'.
./gdb.texinfo:13609: Cross reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.
./gdb.texinfo:154: Menu reference to nonexistent node `Using History
Interactively'.
./gdb.texinfo:153: Menu reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.
makeinfo: Removing output file `/home/bob/cvs/src/gdb/doc/gdb.info' due
to errors; use --force to preserve.

When I do 'makeinfo --force gdb.texinfo' I get

bob@black:~/cvs/src/gdb/doc$ makeinfo --force gdb.texinfo
gdb.texinfo:11: @include `gdb-cfg.texi': No such file or directory.
gdb.texinfo:18836: @include `rluser.texinfo': No such file or directory.
gdb.texinfo:18836: @include `inc-hist.texinfo': No such file or
directory.
./gdb.texinfo:18838: Next reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.
./gdb.texinfo:18924: Prev reference to nonexistent node `Using History
Interactively'.
./gdb.texinfo:13609: Cross reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.
./gdb.texinfo:154: Menu reference to nonexistent node `Using History
Interactively'.
./gdb.texinfo:153: Menu reference to nonexistent node `Command Line
Editing'.

This actually creates the gdb.info file. However, it seems that when I
change gdb.texinfo then run 'makeinfo --force gdb.texinfo' again,
I can not see the changes in gdb.info. Does anyone know why this is?

Should I have to use --force to get the changes?
Why doesn't the Makefile do anything in the doc directory?
Do I have to invoke configure in a certain way?

Here is the version of makeinfo

bob@black:~/cvs/src/gdb/doc$ makeinfo --version
makeinfo (GNU texinfo) 4.1

There is NO warranty.  You may redistribute this software
under the terms of the GNU General Public License.
For more information about these matters, see the files named COPYING.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob Rossi

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-03-31 17:42 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-03-31 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out what the correct way to build the documentation
> is. I want to create an info file. From the research I have done online,
> it seems as if 'makeinfo gdb.texinfo' should be the correct command.
>
> This is the output I get.
>
> bob@black:~/cvs/src/gdb/doc$ makeinfo gdb.texinfo
> gdb.texinfo:11: @include `gdb-cfg.texi': No such file or directory.

Try running "make info" in a configured directory instead.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-03-31 17:52   ` Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-03-31 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:42:22PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Bob Rossi wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to figure out what the correct way to build the documentation
> > is. I want to create an info file. From the research I have done online,
> > it seems as if 'makeinfo gdb.texinfo' should be the correct command.
> >
> > This is the output I get.
> >
> > bob@black:~/cvs/src/gdb/doc$ makeinfo gdb.texinfo
> > gdb.texinfo:11: @include `gdb-cfg.texi': No such file or directory.
>
> Try running "make info" in a configured directory instead.
>
> --
> Daniel Jacobowitz
> MontaVista Software                         Debian GNU/Linux Developer

That worked great. Thanks.

Does anyone know why I don't see the changed results I put into
gdb.texinfo when I do 'make info' in gdb.info?

The command 'make info' always update the gdb.info file when its
supposed to ( running makeinfo ).
However when I view the file gdb.info using pinfo, I don't see the changes.

Also, when I grep for my changes, I see them in
gdb.info-11, gdb.info-17 and gdb.texinfo.

Does this make any sense?

@ 2003-03-31 18:12     ` Doug Evans
From: Doug Evans @ 2003-03-31 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Rossi; +Cc: gdb

Bob Rossi writes:
 > Does anyone know why I don't see the changed results I put into
 > gdb.texinfo when I do 'make info' in gdb.info?
 >
 > The command 'make info' always update the gdb.info file when its
 > supposed to ( running makeinfo ).
 > However when I view the file gdb.info using pinfo, I don't see the changes.
 >
 > Also, when I grep for my changes, I see them in
 > gdb.info-11, gdb.info-17 and gdb.texinfo.
 >
 > Does this make any sense?

Yep.  If it's like the "info" command

bash$ info -f gdb.info

gives you the installed version whereas

bash$ info -f ./gdb.info

gives you the version in the current directory.

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-03-31 18:22       ` Bob Rossi
From: Bob Rossi @ 2003-03-31 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Evans; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:12:44AM -0800, Doug Evans wrote:
> Bob Rossi writes:
>  > Does anyone know why I don't see the changed results I put into
>  > gdb.texinfo when I do 'make info' in gdb.info?
>  >
>  > The command 'make info' always update the gdb.info file when its
>  > supposed to ( running makeinfo ).
>  > However when I view the file gdb.info using pinfo, I don't see the changes.
>  >
>  > Also, when I grep for my changes, I see them in
>  > gdb.info-11, gdb.info-17 and gdb.texinfo.
>  >
>  > Does this make any sense?
>
> Yep.  If it's like the "info" command
>
> bash$ info -f gdb.info
>
> gives you the installed version whereas
>
> bash$ info -f ./gdb.info
>
> gives you the version in the current directory.

Thanks for the help. Thats exactly what the problem was.

@ 2003-04-02  1:00       ` Ben Elliston
From: Ben Elliston @ 2003-04-02  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:

> Yep.  If it's like the "info" command
> bash$ info -f gdb.info
> gives you the installed version whereas
> bash$ info -f ./gdb.info
> gives you the version in the current directory.

It's annoying behaviour and, IMHO, a bug.  Shouldn't info use copies
in the local directory if they can be found, otherwise search the info
path?

Ben

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-04-02  3:25         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-04-02  3:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: gdb

> From: Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com>
> Date: 02 Apr 2003 09:48:40 +1000
>
> > Yep.  If it's like the "info" command
> > bash$ info -f gdb.info
> > gives you the installed version whereas
> > bash$ info -f ./gdb.info
> > gives you the version in the current directory.
>
> It's annoying behaviour and, IMHO, a bug.

Actually, it's a deliberately programmed feature.  It's even described
in the manual: relative file names are interpreted as being relative
to one of the directories mentioned in the INFOPATH environment
variable (or in the default Info search path if INFOPATH is
undefined).

> Shouldn't info use copies in the local directory if they can be
> found, otherwise search the info path?

It mimics the behavior of a Unix shell when searching for executable
programs: the current directory is never searched, unless you have "."
in your PATH.

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-04-02 11:46           ` Ben Elliston
                               ` (2 more replies)
From: Ben Elliston @ 2003-04-02 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: gdb

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>Actually, it's a deliberately programmed feature.  It's even described
>in the manual: relative file names are interpreted as being relative
>to one of the directories mentioned in the INFOPATH environment
>variable (or in the default Info search path if INFOPATH is
>undefined).
>
>It mimics the behavior of a Unix shell when searching for executable
>programs: the current directory is never searched, unless you have "."
>in your PATH.

One could argue that there is a fundamental difference between a shell
and other programs: the shell executes programs; most others treat their
arguments as input files.  In the context of a shell, it makes sense to
apply a search path to prevent users from accidentally executing the
wrong program.  You will note that it is not necessary to run `gdb
./a.out' to debug a program of that name in the current working
directory.  In the case of Info, the behaviour you describe creates, in
practice, more problems than it solves.

Cheers, Ben

[-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature, Size: 3795 bytes --]

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-04-02 13:10             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-04-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, gdb

Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com> writes:

|> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
|>
|> >Actually, it's a deliberately programmed feature.  It's even described
|> >in the manual: relative file names are interpreted as being relative
|> >to one of the directories mentioned in the INFOPATH environment
|> >variable (or in the default Info search path if INFOPATH is
|> >undefined).
|> >
|> >It mimics the behavior of a Unix shell when searching for executable
|> >programs: the current directory is never searched, unless you have "."
|> >in your PATH.
|> >
|> One could argue that there is a fundamental difference between a shell and
|> other programs: the shell executes programs; most others treat their
|> arguments as input files.

But most other programs don't use a search path for their input files.
Compare with the C preprocessor, which distinguishes between <...> and
"...".

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-04-02 15:48             ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-04-02 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Elliston; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, gdb

> One could argue that there is a fundamental difference between a shell and other programs: the shell executes programs; most others treat their arguments as input files.  In the context of a shell, it makes sense to apply a search path to prevent users from accidentally executing the wrong program.  You will note that it is not necessary to run `gdb ./a.out' to debug a program of that name in the current working directory.  In the case of Info, the behaviour you describe creates, in practice, more problems than it solves.

Um, it is acknwledged that GDB's behavior is confusing.  Something as
simple as:

$ program
Segmentation fault
$ gdb program

can lead to GDB debugging the wrong program.  Hmm, security hole.

Andrew

* Re: makeinfo with gdb.texinfo
@ 2003-04-03  2:57             ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-04-03  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bje; +Cc: gdb

> Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 21:46:13 +1000
> From: Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com>
>
> In the case of Info, the behaviour you describe creates, in
> practice, more problems than it solves.

Obviously, I disagree, but you are welcome to post this on bug-texinfo
mailing list, where the Texinfo maintainers will see it.