public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* gdb/regformats
@ 2003-04-11 15:06 Kris Warkentin
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2003-04-11 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I was looking at this directory and wondering what it's used for.  I see
that gdbserver uses the reg definitions but I didn't see if/how gdb does.

The reason is that our OS stores its i386 general purpose registers in a
different order than gdb does so in our tdep file we have to map them.  I
was wondering if the regformats file might provide a more elegant way of
doing it.

cheers,

Kris

* Re: gdb/regformats
@ 2003-04-11 15:41 ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-04-11 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: gdb

> I was looking at this directory and wondering what it's used for.  I see
> that gdbserver uses the reg definitions but I didn't see if/how gdb does.

`A long term plan' is for remote.c to read them and, hence, allow
run-time changes to the remote packet layout.

> The reason is that our OS stores its i386 general purpose registers in a
> different order than gdb does so in our tdep file we have to map them.  I
> was wondering if the regformats file might provide a more elegant way of
> doing it.

That mapping should be performed in the *-nat or *-remote file.

Andrew

* Re: gdb/regformats
@ 2003-04-11 15:45 ` Quality Quorum
From: Quality Quorum @ 2003-04-11 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Kris Warkentin wrote:

> I was looking at this directory and wondering what it's used for.  I see
> that gdbserver uses the reg definitions but I didn't see if/how gdb does.
>
> The reason is that our OS stores its i386 general purpose registers in a
> different order than gdb does so in our tdep file we have to map them.

What is wrong with converting from your format to gdb format in the stub?

> I was wondering if the regformats file might provide a more elegant way of
> doing it.
>
> cheers,
>
> Kris

Thanks,

Aleksey

* Re: gdb/regformats
@ 2003-04-11 15:57   ` Kris Warkentin
From: Kris Warkentin @ 2003-04-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quality Quorum; +Cc: gdb

> What is wrong with converting from your format to gdb format in the stub?

Actually, all our stuff works right now, I was just wondering if there was a
different, perhaps better way.

Thanks,

Kris

* Re: gdb/regformats
@ 2003-04-13 14:23 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-04-13 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kris Warkentin; +Cc: gdb

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 11:06:37AM -0400, Kris Warkentin wrote:
> I was looking at this directory and wondering what it's used for.  I see
> that gdbserver uses the reg definitions but I didn't see if/how gdb does.
>
> The reason is that our OS stores its i386 general purpose registers in a
> different order than gdb does so in our tdep file we have to map them.  I
> was wondering if the regformats file might provide a more elegant way of
> doing it.

Not really.  They are descriptions of the remote protocol; only
gdbserver uses them at the moment but long-term that may change, as
Andrew said.  They are not meant to describe the OS's register buffer,
only GDB's.

The long term goal, if anyone has time to pursue it, is to make the
remote protocol independent of the layout of GDB's register cache.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz