public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Virtual memory
@ 2003-05-19 13:57 Andreas Groß
From: Andreas Groß @ 2003-05-19 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi there...

I'm programming a patch for gdb which gives out a state graph of a program. I
have the following problem:
I store the state graph in the heap memory (using xmalloc). The problem is
that I get an out-of-memory-error while computing the state graph of huge
programs:

utils.c:981: gdb-internal-error: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate
49220 bytes.
An internal GDB error was detected.  This may make further
debugging unreliable.  Quit this debugging session? (y or n) y

My question: Is it possible to say gdb to allocate more virtual memory?

cu
  Andreas

--
   Andreas Groß
 knox@cs.uni-sb.de

* Re: Virtual memory
@ 2003-05-19 17:02 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-05-19 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Groß; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 03:57:19PM +0000, Andreas Groß wrote:
> Hi there...
>
> I'm programming a patch for gdb which gives out a state graph of a program. I
> have the following problem:
> I store the state graph in the heap memory (using xmalloc). The problem is
> that I get an out-of-memory-error while computing the state graph of huge
> programs:
>
> utils.c:981: gdb-internal-error: virtual memory exhausted: can't allocate
> 49220 bytes.
> An internal GDB error was detected.  This may make further
> debugging unreliable.  Quit this debugging session? (y or n) y
>
> My question: Is it possible to say gdb to allocate more virtual memory?

If you get that error, then you've really run out of memory, as
reported by your operating system; there's not much to be done about
it.  How big is this state graph anyway?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz