public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* what needs to be done to support gdbserver on netbsd?
@ 2003-05-20 21:23 Jeff Rizzo
From: Jeff Rizzo @ 2003-05-20 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hi-

I'm doing some development under NetBSD on an embedded system, and
am wondering what needs to be added to gdbserver to support a
netbsd target;  all the current platforms seem to be Linux.

I see some mention of NetBSD and gdbserver in some posts to the
list by J.T. Conklin in 2000 and 2001, but nothing since then
that I can see.

I am, of course, not particularly knowledgeable regarding GDB,
except as a user... but I would love to be able to debug
a remote target...

Thanks!
+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz

* Re: what needs to be done to support gdbserver on netbsd?
@ 2003-05-20 21:33 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-05-20 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Rizzo; +Cc: gdb

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 02:23:06PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I'm doing some development under NetBSD on an embedded system, and
> am wondering what needs to be added to gdbserver to support a
> netbsd target;  all the current platforms seem to be Linux.
>
> I see some mention of NetBSD and gdbserver in some posts to the
> list by J.T. Conklin in 2000 and 2001, but nothing since then
> that I can see.
>
> I am, of course, not particularly knowledgeable regarding GDB,
> except as a user... but I would love to be able to debug
> a remote target...

Someone needs to implement it.  Lots of the code in linux-low.c
probably needs to be abstracted out for the NetBSD code to share.
Other bits need to be rewritten into a netbsd-low.c and
a netbsd-<arch>-low.c.

Starting with the Linux code as an example, it shouldn't be overly
difficult, but it'll probably take a while.  A lot of the Linux code is
threads-related, so can be dispensed with for a first pass.

I'm afraid I don't know anything about NetBSD...

--
Daniel Jacobowitz