public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* debug with /procfs on x86/alpha linux
@ 2003-06-09  4:29 vera0010
From: vera0010 @ 2003-06-09  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I look up gdb mailing-list thoroughly,
but I can't find any link by which I can submit my email.
Sorry, I send directly the email to this mail address.
I'm not a spammer.

I've pretty much hit a wall on multi-proc debugging, so I will have to ask for help now.
I want to debug multi-processes on linux/SMP with a single gdb.
The /proc filesystem of Gnu/Linux is much powerless than Digital-Unix's.
I can debug multi-proc on alpha/Digital-Unix with /procfs interface.Certainly, the debugger is dbx, not gdb.

Please!
Can /procfs Linux support gdb?
Can gdb support the programming environments of  SMP?

______________________________________

* Re: debug with /procfs on x86/alpha linux
@ 2003-06-09  4:33 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-09  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vera0010; +Cc: gdb

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 10:15:28AM +0800, vera0010 wrote:
> Hi,
> I look up gdb mailing-list thoroughly,
> but I can't find any link by which I can submit my email.
> Sorry, I send directly the email to this mail address.
> I'm not a spammer.
>
> I've pretty much hit a wall on multi-proc debugging, so I will have to ask for help now.
> I want to debug multi-processes on linux/SMP with a single gdb.
> The /proc filesystem of Gnu/Linux is much powerless than Digital-Unix's.
> I can debug multi-proc on alpha/Digital-Unix with /procfs interface.Certainly, the debugger is dbx, not gdb.
>
> Please!
> Can /procfs Linux support gdb?
> Can gdb support the programming environments of  SMP?

GNU/Linux debugging uses primarily the "ptrace" interface, not /proc.
Look at the GDB source; it supports x86 and Alpha GNU/Linux systems
already.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz