public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-13 11:04 Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-06-13 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

Hello,

when I try to run a program in gdb on ia64, it claims that

"Can't insert breakpoint for slot numbers greater than 2."

What should I do?

Zdenek

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-13 15:34 ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-06-13 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak, gdb

On Jun 13,  1:04pm, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:

> when I try to run a program in gdb on ia64, it claims that
>
> "Can't insert breakpoint for slot numbers greater than 2."
>
> What should I do?

Provide us with more details.

Kevin

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-13 18:06   ` Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-06-13 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: gdb

Hello,

> On Jun 13,  1:04pm, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:
>
> > when I try to run a program in gdb on ia64, it claims that
> >
> > "Can't insert breakpoint for slot numbers greater than 2."
> >
> > What should I do?
>
> Provide us with more details.

all right, I just hoped it is some well known issue.
I tried to use gdb on 4 processor Itanium 2 machine.
When trying to run any program from it, it responds with
the above message.  I have tried gdb 5.2.1 and current
cvs version, both behave the same way.

Zdenek

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-13 18:43     ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-06-13 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: gdb

On Jun 13,  8:06pm, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:
> Subject: Re: Gdb on ia64
> Hello,
>
> > On Jun 13,  1:04pm, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:
> >
> > > when I try to run a program in gdb on ia64, it claims that
> > >
> > > "Can't insert breakpoint for slot numbers greater than 2."
> > >
> > > What should I do?
> >
> > Provide us with more details.
>
> all right, I just hoped it is some well known issue.
> I tried to use gdb on 4 processor Itanium 2 machine.
> When trying to run any program from it, it responds with
> the above message.  I have tried gdb 5.2.1 and current
> cvs version, both behave the same way.

Could you tell us the address which is giving gdb problems along with
a disassembly of code near that address?  (Basically, I need to see
the three instructions in the bundle.)

Thanks,

Kevin

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-14 12:35       ` Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-06-14 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: gdb

Hello,

> > > Provide us with more details.
> >
> > all right, I just hoped it is some well known issue.
> > I tried to use gdb on 4 processor Itanium 2 machine.
> > When trying to run any program from it, it responds with
> > the above message.  I have tried gdb 5.2.1 and current
> > cvs version, both behave the same way.
>
> Could you tell us the address which is giving gdb problems along with
> a disassembly of code near that address?  (Basically, I need to see
> the three instructions in the bundle.)

Address: 20000000003b4c18
No function contains this address and the memory is not accessible.

Zdenek

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-14 14:00         ` H. J. Lu
From: H. J. Lu @ 2003-06-14 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: Kevin Buettner, gdb

On Sat, Jun 14, 2003 at 02:34:58PM +0200, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:
> Hello,

> > > all right, I just hoped it is some well known issue.
> > > I tried to use gdb on 4 processor Itanium 2 machine.
> > > When trying to run any program from it, it responds with
> > > the above message.  I have tried gdb 5.2.1 and current
> > > cvs version, both behave the same way.
> >
> > Could you tell us the address which is giving gdb problems along with
> > a disassembly of code near that address?  (Basically, I need to see
> > the three instructions in the bundle.)
>
> Address: 20000000003b4c18
> No function contains this address and the memory is not accessible.

FYI, please make sure you use the latest binutils if you use Linux/ia64.
The mainline binutils and the Linux binutils 2.14.90.0.4 should be ok.

H.J.

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-18  0:19         ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-06-18  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: gdb

On Jun 14,  2:34pm, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:

> > > all right, I just hoped it is some well known issue.
> > > I tried to use gdb on 4 processor Itanium 2 machine.
> > > When trying to run any program from it, it responds with
> > > the above message.  I have tried gdb 5.2.1 and current
> > > cvs version, both behave the same way.
> >
> > Could you tell us the address which is giving gdb problems along with
> > a disassembly of code near that address?  (Basically, I need to see
> > the three instructions in the bundle.)
>
> Address: 20000000003b4c18
> No function contains this address and the memory is not accessible.

Do you know why GDB was trying to put a breakpoint there?

BTW, the fact that the address ends in 8 is the reason for the
"Can't insert breakpoint..." message.  It should end in either
0, 1, or 2.

Kevin

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-18  0:36           ` Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-06-18  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: gdb

Hello,

> > > Could you tell us the address which is giving gdb problems along with
> > > a disassembly of code near that address?  (Basically, I need to see
> > > the three instructions in the bundle.)
> >
> > Address: 20000000003b4c18
> > No function contains this address and the memory is not accessible.
>
> Do you know why GDB was trying to put a breakpoint there?

I have no clue -- I did not ask for one and I don't know anything about gdb
internals so I don't know why it tries to put there one on its own.

Zdenek

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-19  0:13             ` Kevin Buettner
From: Kevin Buettner @ 2003-06-19  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: gdb

On Jun 18,  2:36am, Zdenek Dvorak wrote:

> > > Address: 20000000003b4c18
> > > No function contains this address and the memory is not accessible.
> >
> > Do you know why GDB was trying to put a breakpoint there?
>
> I have no clue -- I did not ask for one and I don't know anything about gdb
> internals so I don't know why it tries to put there one on its own.

Which OS are you trying this on?  Can you provide us with a test case
for reproducing this problem?

Kevin

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-19 14:53               ` J. Johnston
From: J. Johnston @ 2003-06-19 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buettner; +Cc: Zdenek Dvorak, gdb

Kevin Buettner wrote:

>>>Do you know why GDB was trying to put a breakpoint there?
>>
>>I have no clue -- I did not ask for one and I don't know anything about gdb
>>internals so I don't know why it tries to put there one on its own.
>

> Which OS are you trying this on?  Can you provide us with a test case
> for reproducing this problem?
>
> Kevin

FWIW, this bug has the same symptoms as the bug I recently fixed with a patch
to dwarf2read.c: http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb-patches/2003-05/msg00074.html

-- Jeff J.

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-19 19:28             ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2003-06-19 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Dvorak; +Cc: Kevin Buettner, gdb

Zdenek Dvorak <rakdver@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

|> Hello,

|> > Do you know why GDB was trying to put a breakpoint there?
|>
|> I have no clue -- I did not ask for one and I don't know anything about gdb
|> internals so I don't know why it tries to put there one on its own.

Perhaps it's the shlib events breakpoint (use "maintenance info
breakpoints" to list internal breakpoints).

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Deutschherrnstr. 15-19, D-90429 Nürnberg

* Re: Gdb on ia64
@ 2003-06-19 19:31               ` Zdenek Dvorak
From: Zdenek Dvorak @ 2003-06-19 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Schwab; +Cc: Kevin Buettner, gdb

Hello,

> |> I have no clue -- I did not ask for one and I don't know anything about gdb
> |> internals so I don't know why it tries to put there one on its own.
>
> Perhaps it's the shlib events breakpoint (use "maintenance info
> breakpoints" to list internal breakpoints).

yes,

Num Type           Disp Enb Address            What
-1  shlib events   keep y   0x20000000003b4c18

Zdenek