public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* dwarf2-frame.c and sym_private
@ 2003-06-22 16:52 Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-22 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, kettenis

The dwarf2-frame code blithely assumes that objfile->sym_private is
always an FDE description.  But nothing stops the file from having
non-DWARF-2 debugging information, or no debugging information at
all... would you mind if I switched it to use a new dwarf2-specific
member of the objfile structure instead?

This would also let me avoid a crash in David's new namespace code; he
creates an objfile which does not have its section offsets initialized,
and dwarf2_frame_find_fde aborts.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: dwarf2-frame.c and sym_private
@ 2003-06-22 21:25 ` Mark Kettenis
From: Mark Kettenis @ 2003-06-22 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: gdb

   Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:52:35 -0400
   From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>

   The dwarf2-frame code blithely assumes that objfile->sym_private is
   always an FDE description.  But nothing stops the file from having
   non-DWARF-2 debugging information, or no debugging information at
   all... would you mind if I switched it to use a new dwarf2-specific
   member of the objfile structure instead?

I wouldn't mind, although I'm not sure whether adding debug
format-specific members to the objfile structure is the right
approach.  Assuming that an object file won't contain unwind info in
different formats, would adding a member for unwind info to the
objfile structure be an option.

Mark

* Re: dwarf2-frame.c and sym_private
@ 2003-06-22 21:38   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: drow, gdb

>    Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:52:35 -0400
>    From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
>
>    The dwarf2-frame code blithely assumes that objfile->sym_private is
>    always an FDE description.  But nothing stops the file from having
>    non-DWARF-2 debugging information, or no debugging information at
>    all... would you mind if I switched it to use a new dwarf2-specific
>    member of the objfile structure instead?
>
> I wouldn't mind, although I'm not sure whether adding debug
> format-specific members to the objfile structure is the right
> approach.  Assuming that an object file won't contain unwind info in
> different formats, would adding a member for unwind info to the
> objfile structure be an option.

See: The symbol auxilary.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/gdb/2003-04/msg00017.html

Andrew

* Re: dwarf2-frame.c and sym_private
@ 2003-06-22 21:38   ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-22 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Kettenis; +Cc: gdb

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:23:59PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>    Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 12:52:35 -0400
>    From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
>
>    The dwarf2-frame code blithely assumes that objfile->sym_private is
>    always an FDE description.  But nothing stops the file from having
>    non-DWARF-2 debugging information, or no debugging information at
>    all... would you mind if I switched it to use a new dwarf2-specific
>    member of the objfile structure instead?
>
> I wouldn't mind, although I'm not sure whether adding debug
> format-specific members to the objfile structure is the right
> approach.  Assuming that an object file won't contain unwind info in
> different formats, would adding a member for unwind info to the
> objfile structure be an option.

TBH, I don't think I like the assumption.  It's pretty academic - right
now dwarf2 is the one we support - but we need to be flexible in the
face of really strange input files.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz