public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
@ 2003-06-22 15:35 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-06-22 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ac131313, drow; +Cc: gdb

ac> I see http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/708 is still open?

Yeah, I wandered off to fix the problem in dejagnu, and never
finished.

At this point I would rather go with (1):

mec> (1) Just edit dejagnu/example/calc/Makefile.am and set SUBDIRS properly.
mec>
mec>     In fact Andrew C has done that in the past (2000-04-19), but then
mec>     this gets obliterated the next time someone imports dejagnu
mec>     (Nick C, 2002-04-21).

Is that okay with you, Daniel?

Michael C

* Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
@ 2003-06-22 21:39 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-06-22 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

On Sun, Jun 22, 2003 at 11:25:23AM -0400, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> ac> I see http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/708 is still open?
>
> Yeah, I wandered off to fix the problem in dejagnu, and never
> finished.
>
> At this point I would rather go with (1):
>
> mec> (1) Just edit dejagnu/example/calc/Makefile.am and set SUBDIRS properly.
> mec>
> mec>     In fact Andrew C has done that in the past (2000-04-19), but then
> mec>     this gets obliterated the next time someone imports dejagnu
> mec>     (Nick C, 2002-04-21).
>
> Is that okay with you, Daniel?

Let me double-check the state of this in DejaGNU CVS.  I think it's
changed.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
@ 2003-06-22 15:12   ` Andrew Cagney
From: Andrew Cagney @ 2003-06-22 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: gdb

I see http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/bugs/708 is still open?

Andrew

[-- Attachment #2: mailbox-message://ac131313@movemail/fsf/gdb/misc#40383 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4436 bytes --]

From: Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com>
To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain <mec@shout.net>
Cc: ac131313@redhat.com, gdb@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:08:05 -0500

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:04:24AM -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> I have this bug, PR gdb/708, where the snapshot tarballs do not build
> at all.  This is a high priority bug.  I've verified that it still
> happens with both gdb_5_3-branch and HEAD.
>
> Here's the etiology.  Andrew C has been down this entire path before,
> but I just want to lay it out.
>
>   ss/make-snapshot script runs 'make -f src-release gdb+dejagnu.tar.gz'
>
>   src-release walks the tree and configures all the subdirs and
>   makes info files in them.
>
>   src-release walks the tree and does 'distclean' to remove
>   config.status and other files.
>
> The problem is that src/dejagnu/Makefile.am is coded in an unusual way.
> src/dejagnu has subdirectories, and the subdirectories are configured
> normally, but Makefile.am does *not* list all the subdirectories!
> There's a comment in Makefile.am that they do not want 'make all'
> to actually build examples/calc and other stuff.
>
> So 'configure' configures in dejagnu/example/calc, but 'make distclean'
> never goes there, and the tarball gets some extra crap in it,
> specifically dejagnu/example/calc/config.status.  Then the user tries
> to build from the tarball and gets an error that dejagnu/example/calc
> has already been configured and the build chokes.
>
> There are two different ways to fix this:
>
> (1) Just edit dejagnu/example/calc/Makefile.am and set SUBDIRS properly.
>
>     In fact Andrew C has done that in the past (2000-04-19), but then
>     this gets obliterated the next time someone imports dejagnu
>     (Nick C, 2002-04-21).
>
> (2) Work around the problem in Makefile.am with a 'distclean-local' goal.
>
>     I wrote such a patch and it works for me.
>
> The advantage of (1) is that it's simple and we've done it before.
> And we don't import dejagnu very often.
>
> The advantage of (2) is that we get something that is more likely
> to be accepted if we submit it upstream.
>
> I need some guidance on which path to follow.  Andrew?

May I recommend (2)?  I just did something similar for the Debian
packages of DejaGNU, making it the fourth time I've addressed this
issue, I think.  It seems like the right way to go.

(By the way, I need to look at doing another dejagnu import; there are
some bits in 1.4.3 that aren't in our local copy which mess up
rsh-based testing.)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
@ 2003-02-28 16:11 Michael Elizabeth Chastain
From: Michael Elizabeth Chastain @ 2003-02-28 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: drow; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

drow> May I recommend (2)?  I just did something similar for the Debian
drow> packages of DejaGNU, making it the fourth time I've addressed this
drow> issue, I think.  It seems like the right way to go.

Okay, I'm going to go work on DejaGNU CVS and see if I can make
a contribution there.  That means strategy (2), where I accept their
weird-looking automake decision and add some 'distclean-local'
stuff.

Michael C

* Re: src/dejagnu/Makefile.am
@ 2003-02-27 19:08 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-02-27 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Elizabeth Chastain; +Cc: ac131313, gdb

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 11:04:24AM -0600, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> I have this bug, PR gdb/708, where the snapshot tarballs do not build
> at all.  This is a high priority bug.  I've verified that it still
> happens with both gdb_5_3-branch and HEAD.
>
> Here's the etiology.  Andrew C has been down this entire path before,
> but I just want to lay it out.
>
>   ss/make-snapshot script runs 'make -f src-release gdb+dejagnu.tar.gz'
>
>   src-release walks the tree and configures all the subdirs and
>   makes info files in them.
>
>   src-release walks the tree and does 'distclean' to remove
>   config.status and other files.
>
> The problem is that src/dejagnu/Makefile.am is coded in an unusual way.
> src/dejagnu has subdirectories, and the subdirectories are configured
> normally, but Makefile.am does *not* list all the subdirectories!
> There's a comment in Makefile.am that they do not want 'make all'
> to actually build examples/calc and other stuff.
>
> So 'configure' configures in dejagnu/example/calc, but 'make distclean'
> never goes there, and the tarball gets some extra crap in it,
> specifically dejagnu/example/calc/config.status.  Then the user tries
> to build from the tarball and gets an error that dejagnu/example/calc
> has already been configured and the build chokes.
>
> There are two different ways to fix this:
>
> (1) Just edit dejagnu/example/calc/Makefile.am and set SUBDIRS properly.
>
>     In fact Andrew C has done that in the past (2000-04-19), but then
>     this gets obliterated the next time someone imports dejagnu
>     (Nick C, 2002-04-21).
>
> (2) Work around the problem in Makefile.am with a 'distclean-local' goal.
>
>     I wrote such a patch and it works for me.
>
> The advantage of (1) is that it's simple and we've done it before.
> And we don't import dejagnu very often.
>
> The advantage of (2) is that we get something that is more likely
> to be accepted if we submit it upstream.
>
> I need some guidance on which path to follow.  Andrew?

May I recommend (2)?  I just did something similar for the Debian
packages of DejaGNU, making it the fourth time I've addressed this
issue, I think.  It seems like the right way to go.

(By the way, I need to look at doing another dejagnu import; there are
some bits in 1.4.3 that aren't in our local copy which mess up
rsh-based testing.)

--
Daniel Jacobowitz

* src/dejagnu/Makefile.am