public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* pc in psymtab, not in symtab
@ 2003-07-02 17:20 David Carlton
From: David Carlton @ 2003-07-02 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I'm getting zillions of warnings along the following lines:

warning: (Internal error: pc 0x80a94f8 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)

Now, problems with the warning message aside (it's a warning that
incorrectly claims to be an internal error, and there's one too many
'in' in there), this is both annoying and is preventing me from
looking at variables.  (At least I assume this is why I can't look at
variables; I'm not using optimization flags.)

Has anybody seen this recently?  It's occuring for me with GDB 5.3 as
well as mainline; I've tried it with either Red Hat GCC 3.2 or with
GCC 3.2.3 patched to generate DW_TAG_namespace.  A sample compilation
line is:

/usr/local/testbed/namespace/bin/g++ -Wall -W -Winline -Wpointer-arith -Wno-unused-parameter -g -g3 -gdwarf-2 -I/kealia/src/working/vs/src/interface -DLinux -I/kealia/src/working/vs/use/interface/preprocessortest -pthread -fpic -I/kealia/src/working/vs/src/interface/sys -I/kealia/src/working/vs-ext/gcc321-i686-debug//sysinclude -c /kealia/src/working/vs/use/prog/preprocessortest/preprocessortest.cpp

(I've tried fiddling with that a little bit, e.g. removing -fpic, with
no effect.  And don't laugh at the '-g -g3 -gdwarf-2': I didn't write
the Makefile. :-) )

Any tips as to what might be causing this?

David Carlton
carlton@kealia.com

* Re: pc in psymtab, not in symtab
@ 2003-07-02 18:27 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2003-07-02 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Carlton; +Cc: gdb

On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 10:20:21AM -0700, David Carlton wrote:
> I'm getting zillions of warnings along the following lines:
>
> warning: (Internal error: pc 0x80a94f8 in read in psymtab, but not in symtab.)
>
> Now, problems with the warning message aside (it's a warning that
> incorrectly claims to be an internal error, and there's one too many
> 'in' in there), this is both annoying and is preventing me from
> looking at variables.  (At least I assume this is why I can't look at
> variables; I'm not using optimization flags.)
>
> Has anybody seen this recently?  It's occuring for me with GDB 5.3 as
> well as mainline; I've tried it with either Red Hat GCC 3.2 or with
> GCC 3.2.3 patched to generate DW_TAG_namespace.  A sample compilation
> line is:
>
> /usr/local/testbed/namespace/bin/g++ -Wall -W -Winline -Wpointer-arith -Wno-unused-parameter -g -g3 -gdwarf-2 -I/kealia/src/working/vs/src/interface -DLinux -I/kealia/src/working/vs/use/interface/preprocessortest -pthread -fpic -I/kealia/src/working/vs/src/interface/sys -I/kealia/src/working/vs-ext/gcc321-i686-debug//sysinclude -c /kealia/src/working/vs/use/prog/preprocessortest/preprocessortest.cpp
>
> (I've tried fiddling with that a little bit, e.g. removing -fpic, with
> no effect.  And don't laugh at the '-g -g3 -gdwarf-2': I didn't write
> the Makefile. :-) )
>
> Any tips as to what might be causing this?

My first guess is a GCC bug that causes it not to emit PC bounds?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz