public inbox for gdb@sourceware.org
* How to build gdb for cygwin on linux
@ 2003-08-04 14:29 Christophe Trophime
From: Christophe Trophime @ 2003-08-04 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

I am desperately trying to build a cross gdb for cygwin
on my linux box (RedHat 9). I have manage to build a cross gcc
but I cannot make gdb to build. The configure script keeps telling me
that "cygwin" is not supported!

[]$ ~/gdb-20030303-1/configure  --target=i686-pc-cygwin --prefix=$prefix
creating cache ./config.cache
checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     gdb libgui
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

I grab gdb sources from cygwin.

Can anybody help me?

* Re: How to build gdb for cygwin on linux
@ 2003-08-04 14:33 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-08-04 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 04:29:10PM +0200, Christophe Trophime wrote:
>I am desperately trying to build a cross gdb for cygwin
>on my linux box (RedHat 9). I have manage to build a cross gcc
>but I cannot make gdb to build. The configure script keeps telling me
>that "cygwin" is not supported!
>
>[]$ ~/gdb-20030303-1/configure  --target=i686-pc-cygwin --prefix=$prefix
>creating cache ./config.cache
>checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>checking target system type... i686-pc-cygwin
>checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
>*** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
>     gdb libgui
>    (Any other directories should still work fine.)
>
>I grab gdb sources from cygwin.
>
>Can anybody help me?

If you are talking about building a cygwin that runs on linux and debugs
binaries running on windows, then the configure is accurately portraying
the current situation, i.e., it's not supported.

If you are talking about using linux to build a gdb.exe which will eventually
run on windows, then that is doable but you have to build a cross compilation
environment first.  I think that's a little outside of the scope of this
mailing list.  Perhaps the crossgcc mailing list could be of assistance there.
There are also a lot of sites talking about this in google.

cgf